Problem with Exact Phrase Queries

  • jfister1977
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2013
      Of the big 3 search engines (and APIs), only Google seems to know what an exact search phrase is, despite BOSS and Bing documentation to the contrary.  The BOSS API (and Yahoo search) are using fuzzy matching, which causes exact phrase queries to return many more results than they should.  For example, consider the following query:
      "perfect uneen esteblesh jestece ensere demestec trenqeelety prevede"
      You would expect no results from such gibberish, but instead you get over 62,000 results:
      search.yahoo.com/search?p="perfect+uneen+esteblesh+jestece+ensere+demestec+trenqeelety+prevede"

      Is there a way to tell BOSS to search for the query as is without alteration?

    • Alain Désilets
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2013

        On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM, <jfister@...> wrote:

        Is there a way to tell BOSS to search for the query as is without alteration?

        In my experience, no.

        What I do these days is phrase the query as a boolean AND like this:

           q=((printed)AND(circuit))

        and then post process the summaries of the hits to only keep those in which the exact expression "printed circuit" appears. It works pretty well, because BOSS seems to favour hits that contain the ANDed words in close proximity, and it also tends to favour summaries that contain those words in close proximity. But not always, and there have been cases where none of the hits returned contained the exact expression, eventhough ther are plenty of pages out there on the web that do.

        Hope this helps.

        Alain Désilets
        Owner, Alpaca Technologies
        alpacatechnologies.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2013
          I typically use the + parameter in front of the phrase and this will use the query  as below

          +"perfect uneen esteblesh jestece ensere demestec trenqeelety prevede"

          Just want to point out that in some rare cases, if the query term is misspelt, then the system will still do a rewrite. This is to mimic user intent where they actually mis-spelt a query and actually wanted the results from the correct query.

          Regards
          Rahul

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 15, 2013

            On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Rahul Hampole <rhampole@...> wrote:

            I typically use the + parameter in front of the phrase and this will use the query  as below

            +"perfect uneen esteblesh jestece ensere demestec trenqeelety prevede"

            Thx Rahul. That's good to know. I'll try that instead of my current approach of ANDing everything and then doing a client side filtering based on the summaries.

            Alain Désilets
            Owner, Alpaca Technologies
            alpacatechnologies.com

          • jfister1977