Syntax for Boolean searches

  • Benjamin Walther
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 16, 2013
      Hi there

      Can someone point me out how to correctly do boolean searches as
      http://developer.yahoo.com/boss/search/boss_api_guide/v2_univer_api_args.html#v2_univer_api_query
      does not seem to help.

      I get completely seemingly random results as follows (note the spaces):

      (TermA)AND(TermB) -> 28 results
      (TermA) AND (TermB)-> 0 results
      (TermA) AND (TermB) AND (TermC) -> 2 results
      (TermA)AND (TermB) -> 7 results
      (TermA)AND((TermB)) -> 1 result
      (TermA) AND ((TermB)) -> 3 results
      (TermA) AND (TermB OR TermC) -> 0 results
      (TermA)AND((TermB)OR(TermC)) -> 0 results
      (TermA)AND((TermB)AND(TermC)) -> 0 results
      (TermA)AND((TermB)AND(TermC)) -> 0 results

      additional parameters we use: abstract=long&format=json&market=en-us

      I do urlencode this query string. Same issues when not urlencoding.

      Thanks Ben
    • 3f363aaca36e0a0c72c36e0d8ab0a832

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 20, 2013

[...]

        • 39e4cfe1f333bc4d86aab5b453d85b2f
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2013

             I just wanted to add to this issue, to see if anyone has had success with this. We're running into the same issue:

            (TermA)AND(TermC) = good results

            ((TermA)OR(TermB))AND(TermC) == no results

            Has anyone had success with boolean operators.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2013
              Can you provide a specific example?

              Thanks,
              Rahul

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2013

                Hi Rahul,

                Yes, I have multiple examples of this. I have included one below. Let me know if you would like others.

                Search 1 with results:

                (Mcquarries Coffee and Tea Merchants)AND(Saskatoon)

                &format=json&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1&sites=yellowpages.ca&q=%28Mcquarries%20Coffee%20and%20Tea%20Merchants%29AND%28Saskatoon%29&oauth_version=1.0&oauth_signature=yIZD8pLpxEAcXE2zIa6H19vNDn0%3D&start=0

                Search 2 with results:

                (Mcquarries)AND(Saskatoon)

                &format=json&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1&sites=yellowpages.ca&q=%28Mcquarries%29AND%28Saskatoon%29&oauth_version=1.0&oauth_signature=AfDMxxaungLiD9DWlspxmNmrRHY%3D&start=0

                Combined Search with no results:

                ((Mcquarries)OR(Mcquarries Coffee and Tea Merchants))AND(Saskatoon)

                &format=json&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1&sites=yellowpages.ca&q=%28%28Mcquarries%29OR%28Mcquarries%20Coffee%20and%20Tea%20Merchants%29%29AND%28Saskatoon%29&oauth_version=1.0&oauth_signature=Wo4KZ81rk9GsyckHoY6pCnTy1tc%3D&start=0

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2013

                  On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM, <jredl@...> wrote:

                   I just wanted to add to this issue, to see if anyone has had success with this. We're running into the same issue:

                  (TermA)AND(TermC) = good results

                  ((TermA)OR(TermB))AND(TermC) == no results

                  Has anyone had success with boolean operators.

                  Boolean queries work for me. Is there something about TermB that could cause the problem? For example, does TermB include space, while the others don't?

                  For a couple of weeks now, I have been sending queries of this form without problems.

                  q=%28%28%28%C3%A9lectronique%29%29OR%28%28circuit%29%28imprim%C3%A9%29%29%29AND%28%28elle%29OR%28elles%29%29

                  If you url decode it, it looks like this:

                  q=(((électronique))OR((circuit)(imprimé)))AND((elle)OR(elles))

                  which looks a lot like your query. Notice how I put every word in parens, for example: (circuit)(imprimé) as opposed to "circuit imprimé". In my experience, that's a lot less brittle than putting url encoded blanks between words.

                  Another difference with your query is that I have two pairs of parens for the last term. So you might want to try:

                  ((TermA)OR(TermB))AND((TermC))

                  Let us know how it goes.

                  Best regards,

                  Alain Désilets
                  Owner, Alpaca Technologies
                  alpacatechnologies.com

                • 39e4cfe1f333bc4d86aab5b453d85b2f
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 11, 2013

                    Thanks for the reply Alain, Unfortunately this also does not work. (Excuse my previous message as I had misspelled TermB and the search returned results for some reason.

                    I have tried pretty much every iteration of his query, with no success. I wonder if the issue is surrounding the sites restriction I have on the query?

                    For the time being I'm simply submitting separate queries, but all that is doing is driving our costs up.