Exact phrase match not working in Europe

  • johannesflorianknabe
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2013
      When I search for the phrase "engineering it has over medical" with the only exact matches operator + (like this URL:
      This works only when using a US proxy (0 results).
      When using a UK proxy with the same query I get 5 results - and none of the so called results contains the exact phrase.
      Is Yahoo Search for exact phrases broken outside America?

      Please help,

        Johannes
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2013
        Hi Johannes
        Thanks for the question. So the Yahoo web search page, will re-write the query when it thinks there are more relevant results present for the re-written query. So in this case, it shows you results for results with the quotes removed. It also shows you a statement like this in the top

        Clicking on this will show you no results as you expect. Most search engines do this re-writing since users may have mis-spelt words or inadvertently placed quotes. This is a way to show the average user more options.

        Now in BOSS API, we will honor the quotes and return results if you have provided them. So for the query

        No results are returned.

        Hope that gives some context.

        Regards,
        BOSS Team

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2013
          Thanks Rahul for the patient help.

          I am afraid your answer is not correct for Europe.
          is not visible when I access the link you sent - only after using a US-based proxy I can see it (and not only not visible, but not operational, I just can not get rid of the quotes-removed-suggestions).
          You can verify this by using a Europe-based proxy like www.german-proxy.de

          The same holds for the BOSS query you formulated:
          while you in the US get 0 results the exact same query returns 5 results when I run it here in Europe (Yes, I tried market en-gb, en-us and lots of others, no difference).

          Please help me out -
          Thank you!

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2013
            Hi Johannes,
            Let me use a proxy and try it out.If you don't hear from me by the weekend, let me know
            Thanks,
            Rahul