Re: [ysearchboss] Huge difference in results between Yahoo BOSS and Yahoo web search

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 9, 2013
      Hi Dave
      It seems the & in your query is triggering some of our security filters.
      We have made note of it and will be fixing it in our next release. Thanks
      for the catch.
      Best,
      BOSS Team

    • johannesflorianknabe
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 18, 2013

        Hello,

        I am experiencing a similar problem, without '&' but with quotes fro phrase search:

        When I search for "engineering it has over medical" the results are

        1) BOSS Web search (%22engineering%20it%20has%20over%20medical%22)

        totalresults="7"

        2) Yahoo Web search

        We did not find results for: "engineering it has over medical".

        Any help appreciated!

        Thank you,

          Johannes

      • hansiping
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28, 2013

          I had a similar issue.  I was using Oauth2 and urllib in Python to formulate my search strings following the example of the Boss Mashup Python library.  This gave commands of the form:

          term1%2Bterm2%2Bterm3 etc.

          Which led to very few search results.

          I then used regular expressions to replace %2B with + to get search commands of the form:

          term1+term2+term3

          Which solved the problem.  In Python, I did this twice.  First on the urllib output, which was passed to Oauth2 to sign, and then to the URL generated by Oauth2.  Search seems to work fine now.

          Best,

          Si-ping

        • Johannes Knabe
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 29, 2013
            Thanks for getting back to me but this did not solve the problem as I need exact phrase search.
            I got some more details now though:

            When searching on yahoo.co.uk for "engineering it has over medical" I get 5 results (which are wrong, as they do not contain the phrase) - the same bad result I get with BOSS.
            Searching on yahoo.com for the same phrase I get no results, as one would expect!

            My request includes market=en-us and looks like this:
            http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/web?format=xml&market=en-us&q=%22engineering%20it%20has%20over%20medical%22

            Please let me know how to solve this,
            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 29, 2013
              Hi
              It seems like you were running this query on Yahoo! UK and there I see the following

              It is really important that you mimic the same query. On web search, the query is sometimes re-written and hence in this case the results you may have seen included results when quotes were removed.

              Now I run the same query in BOSS with the same market

              And get no results as well. We typically avoid any query re-writing in BOSS unlike in web search.

              So in conclusion, make sure you run the exact same query and ensure that no re-writing is being done before comparing results.

> [...]

              >> Subject: [ysearchboss] Huge difference in results between Yahoo BOSS
              >>and Yahoo web search
              >>
              >> I've noticed a few queries against Yahoo BOSS give vastly different
              >>results compared to performing a Yahoo search via the web.
              >>
              >> For example, searching for:
              >>
              >> "Thos Agnew & Sons"
              >>
              >> encoded as:
              >>
              >>http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/web?q=%22Thos%20Agnew%20%26%20Sons%22&
              >>format=json
              >>
              >> Running this search in Yahoo BOSS gives a single result, which isn't
              >>very relevant at all. Performing the same query in Yahoo search on the
              >>web gives 1000s of results, including plenty of extremely relevant ones
              >>at the top.
              >>
              >> Is there a reason for this big difference? Should the query be encoded
              >>differently somehow? Or am I missing some useful search parameter?

            • Johannes Knabe
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 30, 2013
                Hello Rahul,
                thank you for the informative reply.

                After reading it I made a simple test:
                both from Europe and the US.
                Please check for yourself with proxies like
                www.justproxy.co.uk (5 results) and www.uswebproxy.com (0 results)
                - basically the %2B is ignored.

                To me this looks like location based differences which seem to be present in BOSS as well.
                Please let me know how I can have the + / %2B operator for phrases in Europe!
                Kind regards,

                  Johannes

> [...]

                >> Subject: [ysearchboss] Huge difference in results between Yahoo BOSS
                >>and Yahoo web search
                >>
                >> I've noticed a few queries against Yahoo BOSS give vastly different
                >>results compared to performing a Yahoo search via the web.
                >>
                >> For example, searching for:
                >>
                >> "Thos Agnew & Sons"
                >>
                >> encoded as:
                >>
                >>http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/web?q=%22Thos%20Agnew%20%26%20Sons%22&
                >>format=json
                >>
                >> Running this search in Yahoo BOSS gives a single result, which isn't
                >>very relevant at all. Performing the same query in Yahoo search on the
                >>web gives 1000s of results, including plenty of extremely relevant ones
                >>at the top.
                >>
                >> Is there a reason for this big difference? Should the query be encoded
                >>differently somehow? Or am I missing some useful search parameter?

              • Dave Challis
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2013
                  Hi Rahul,
                  Is there any timescale on when the next release containing this fix will be?

                  Thanks,
                  Dave

                • juliastodolia
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013

                    Hello! Sorry for offtopic. But can you say me how to pay for BOSS?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013
                      Hello
                      Please review the "Payment Methods" section of the Pricing Terms (http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/search/bosspricing/details.html). Most major credit cards and Paypal is accepted

                      From: "juliastodolia@..." <juliastodolia@...>