Huge difference in results between Yahoo BOSS and Yahoo web search

  • Dave Challis
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 9, 2013
      I've noticed a few queries against Yahoo BOSS give vastly different results compared to performing a Yahoo search via the web.

      For example, searching for:

      "Thos Agnew & Sons"

      encoded as:
      http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/web?q=%22Thos%20Agnew%20%26%20Sons%22&format=json

      Running this search in Yahoo BOSS gives a single result, which isn't very relevant at all. Performing the same query in Yahoo search on the web gives 1000s of results, including plenty of extremely relevant ones at the top.

      Is there a reason for this big difference? Should the query be encoded differently somehow? Or am I missing some useful search parameter?

      Thanks,
      Dave Challis
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2013
        Hi Dave
        Thanks for the question. Can you provide any other samples if you come across any?
        Thanks,
        Rahul

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 9, 2013
          Hi Rahul,
          I've noticed this mostly seems to happen with queries which contain an & symbol, e.g.:

          "Anderman & Company"
          http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/limitedweb?q=%22Anderman%20%26%20Company%22&format=json
          0 results from Yahoo BOSS, 1000s of results from web search

          "Bellingham & Stanley"
          http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/limitedweb?q=%22Bellingham%20%26%20Stanley%22&format=json
          13 results form Yahoo BOSS, 1000s of results from web search
          In this case, results from BOSS are also very inaccurate, and don't contain any of the top results from the web search at all.

          Thanks,
          Dave Challis

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 9, 2013
            Hi Dave
            It seems the & in your query is triggering some of our security filters.
            We have made note of it and will be fixing it in our next release. Thanks
            for the catch.
            Best,
            BOSS Team

          • johannesflorianknabe
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 18, 2013

              Hello,

              I am experiencing a similar problem, without '&' but with quotes fro phrase search:

              When I search for "engineering it has over medical" the results are

              1) BOSS Web search (%22engineering%20it%20has%20over%20medical%22)

              totalresults="7"

              2) Yahoo Web search

              We did not find results for: "engineering it has over medical".

              Any help appreciated!

              Thank you,

                Johannes

            • hansiping
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 28, 2013

                I had a similar issue.  I was using Oauth2 and urllib in Python to formulate my search strings following the example of the Boss Mashup Python library.  This gave commands of the form:

                term1%2Bterm2%2Bterm3 etc.

                Which led to very few search results.

                I then used regular expressions to replace %2B with + to get search commands of the form:

                term1+term2+term3

                Which solved the problem.  In Python, I did this twice.  First on the urllib output, which was passed to Oauth2 to sign, and then to the URL generated by Oauth2.  Search seems to work fine now.

                Best,

                Si-ping

              • Johannes Knabe
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 29, 2013
                  Thanks for getting back to me but this did not solve the problem as I need exact phrase search.
                  I got some more details now though:

                  When searching on yahoo.co.uk for "engineering it has over medical" I get 5 results (which are wrong, as they do not contain the phrase) - the same bad result I get with BOSS.
                  Searching on yahoo.com for the same phrase I get no results, as one would expect!

                  My request includes market=en-us and looks like this:
                  http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/web?format=xml&market=en-us&q=%22engineering%20it%20has%20over%20medical%22

                  Please let me know how to solve this,
                  Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 29, 2013
                    Hi
                    It seems like you were running this query on Yahoo! UK and there I see the following

                    It is really important that you mimic the same query. On web search, the query is sometimes re-written and hence in this case the results you may have seen included results when quotes were removed.

                    Now I run the same query in BOSS with the same market

                    And get no results as well. We typically avoid any query re-writing in BOSS unlike in web search.

                    So in conclusion, make sure you run the exact same query and ensure that no re-writing is being done before comparing results.

> [...]

                    >> Subject: [ysearchboss] Huge difference in results between Yahoo BOSS
                    >>and Yahoo web search
                    >>
                    >> I've noticed a few queries against Yahoo BOSS give vastly different
                    >>results compared to performing a Yahoo search via the web.
                    >>
                    >> For example, searching for:
                    >>
                    >> "Thos Agnew & Sons"
                    >>
                    >> encoded as:
                    >>
                    >>http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/web?q=%22Thos%20Agnew%20%26%20Sons%22&
                    >>format=json
                    >>
                    >> Running this search in Yahoo BOSS gives a single result, which isn't
                    >>very relevant at all. Performing the same query in Yahoo search on the
                    >>web gives 1000s of results, including plenty of extremely relevant ones
                    >>at the top.
                    >>
                    >> Is there a reason for this big difference? Should the query be encoded
                    >>differently somehow? Or am I missing some useful search parameter?

                  • Johannes Knabe
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 30, 2013
                      Hello Rahul,
                      thank you for the informative reply.

                      After reading it I made a simple test:
                      both from Europe and the US.
                      Please check for yourself with proxies like
                      www.justproxy.co.uk (5 results) and www.uswebproxy.com (0 results)
                      - basically the %2B is ignored.

                      To me this looks like location based differences which seem to be present in BOSS as well.
                      Please let me know how I can have the + / %2B operator for phrases in Europe!
                      Kind regards,

                        Johannes

> [...]

                      >> Subject: [ysearchboss] Huge difference in results between Yahoo BOSS
                      >>and Yahoo web search
                      >>
                      >> I've noticed a few queries against Yahoo BOSS give vastly different
                      >>results compared to performing a Yahoo search via the web.
                      >>
                      >> For example, searching for:
                      >>
                      >> "Thos Agnew & Sons"
                      >>
                      >> encoded as:
                      >>
                      >>http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/web?q=%22Thos%20Agnew%20%26%20Sons%22&
                      >>format=json
                      >>
                      >> Running this search in Yahoo BOSS gives a single result, which isn't
                      >>very relevant at all. Performing the same query in Yahoo search on the
                      >>web gives 1000s of results, including plenty of extremely relevant ones
                      >>at the top.
                      >>
                      >> Is there a reason for this big difference? Should the query be encoded
                      >>differently somehow? Or am I missing some useful search parameter?

                    • Dave Challis
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 2, 2013
                        Hi Rahul,
                        Is there any timescale on when the next release containing this fix will be?

                        Thanks,
                        Dave

                      • juliastodolia
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013

                          Hello! Sorry for offtopic. But can you say me how to pay for BOSS?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013
                            Hello
                            Please review the "Payment Methods" section of the Pricing Terms (http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/search/bosspricing/details.html). Most major credit cards and Paypal is accepted

                            From: "juliastodolia@..." <juliastodolia@...>