Storing results of geocoding

  • zibipiasek
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2013
      In our buisness we have big database (over 100k) with our points of sales. Each point od sale has full address information but we don`t have (lat,lon) parameters.

      We would like to geocode addresses to (lat,lon) and store them in our database. In this way, we will be able to show our users map with points of sale (using coordinates downloaded from our database) coresponding to position given by the user.

      Whether the use of BOSS Geo Services allows for such operation? In your Terms of Use , I found a record that it`is possible to store geocoding results "to support a core business function of Your Offering".

      Geocoding and storing these addresses will be core business function for us.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
        Hello
        We are unfortunately not able to provide legal advice since we are not fully familiar with your specific offering. If the caching of the data does serve a key business need, as discussed in the terms of use (http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/boss/tou/), and you are not violating any other terms, then it would be acceptable.

        Please however also pay attention to 2.b.vi specifically this wording "You are storing or caching the Results for the purpose or effect of avoiding, reducing, or distorting the number of queries made, or Query Fees owed to Yahoo!."

        Best
        Rahul
        Product Manager
        Yahoo! BOSS

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 29, 2013

          Hello,

          We are investigating for the use of BOSS geo services forour app, which is a similar case for one of our customer : we want to geocode a customer database (~800 000 records), and make it possible to each salesman toknow where their customers are around them on a map on a little iphone app.

            What i read with the TOS (and this thread) is :

          "it's a  key business need" (and it is,with our little iphone app, location won't be used anywhere else), so it's okay to cache the data.

            But to be completely clear and avoid problems with 2.b.vi :

          • the customer DB will be fully geocoded once so we'll pay for the 800k records when doing the batch.
          • after that, every time a customer address is updated / added, we'll be a good citizen and query the BOSS api

          so we're not trying to avoid some queries, but we just want to do "the big batch" first and not to do the 800k records piece by piece.

          Is that okay with the TOS ?

          Thanks

          Jérôme Moly