Re: Help with Browser string

  • kid_meier
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16 12:22 PM

      Unless I am mistaken, each request to Yboss needs to contain a valid OAauth header. I'm pretty fuzzy on the actual details of how its constructed, but it contains some sort of signature based on the content of the request, your API key + secret.

      It isn't trivial to hand-craft a valid request, you're better off using a tool that can send OAuth-signed REST requests.

      For example, I use a Firefox extension called "RESTClient" (ref: restclient.net) which will generate a valid OAuth header given an API key+secret.

      /mike.

      --- In ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com, "howardjosh1982" <howardjosh1982@...> wrote:

      > I have been trying to figure out how to compose a single string to return some xml search results with some difficulty. Either this API can't do what I am attempting to do (seen several other that can) or I am just missing something. In this string I am attempting to get the search results from site:gamefly.com and keyword:sports
      >
      > http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/limitedweb?q=sports&sites=gamefly.com&start=0&format=xml&api_key=[My Consumer Key]
      >
      > If anyone could please line me out on this I would really appreciate it. I've been through the documentation and couldn't find an example that could simply be copied, updated with my key, and pasted into a browser address bar to let me see what the results look like.

    • howardjosh1982
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16 6:01 PM
        I am really sorry I am such a moron guys, but I need some help forming an epiphany here. I have been reviewing pages such as:
        http://developer.yahoo.com/oauth/guide/oauth-auth-flow.html

        Among many other pages on OAuth and what I just don't understand is how most of it even applies to me. I needed and signed up for yahoo credentials for what in my opinion is primarily billing reasons. I have no desire for the user to ever participate in any of this. All I want to do is use Yahoo as the backbone for a Windows 8 applications search functionality. In general there isn't a ton of OAuth code specific to the Windows 8 platform running around out there yet. Yes, there is some, but when there is this massive focus on gaining access to a users data... It just makes it really hard to filter for those of us who don't want that level of access.

        I need someone to hit me in the face with something specific to my scenario. I don't want the user to know what is going on and I just can't figure out where that cliff drop between what I want and user data.