Geoloc Data not populated with the same criteria

  • brandchats_team
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013

      We have a problem with Spanish states. It seems they are not populated with the same criteria and the same state has different names in your DB.

      Look for instance those 2 calls:
      http://yboss.yahooapis.com/geo/placefinder?q=alicante
      returns state: Valencia

      http://yboss.yahooapis.com/geo/placefinder?q=valencia
      returns state: Valencian Community

      Both cities belong to the same state, which official name in english is: Valencian Community

      BTW, I am asking for the default locale en_US in both cases.

      Am I doing something wrong?
      Thanks,
      Maxime
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013
        Hi Maxime
        Here is what I do

        /geo/placefinder?q=alicante, ES&gflags=LQ&locale=es_ES&count=10
        And
        /geo/placefinder?q=Valencia, ES&gflags=LQ&locale=es_ES&count=10

        If you want spanish results, it might be best to specify the spanish locale as I did above. I generally also include the country in the query itself since the database can filter better on country when that is provided.

        From: brandchats_team <mgosmant@...>
        Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:06 AM
        To: "ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com" <ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [ysearchboss] Geoloc Data not populated with the same criteria

        alicante
      • brandchats_team
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013
          Thanks Rahul for your answer but I do want result in english, not in spanish. The point is that I don't know the country beforehand, I can't add "ES" to my query as it might be from another country.

          > Hi Maxime
          > Here is what I do
          >
          > /geo/placefinder?q=alicante, ES&gflags=LQ&locale=es_ES&count=10
          > And
          > /geo/placefinder?q=Valencia, ES&gflags=LQ&locale=es_ES&count=10
          >
          > If you want spanish results, it might be best to specify the spanish locale as I did above. I generally also include the country in the query itself since the database can filter better on country when that is provided.
          >
          > Thanks
          > BOSS Team
          >

          > From: brandchats_team <mgosmant@...<mailto:mgosmant@...>>
          > Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:06 AM
          > To: "ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com>" <ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com>>
          > Subject: [ysearchboss] Geoloc Data not populated with the same criteria
          >
          > alicante<http://yboss.yahooapis.com/geo/placefinder?q=alicante>

        • brandchats_team
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2013

            It would be nice to have an answer on this. It seems to be an issue that YahooPlacefinder Master data is not 100% normalized.
            Can you confirm this?

            Thanks a lot,
            Maxime

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
              Hi Maxime
              If Placefinder finds a high quality result for a specific query, it will only return that result. And it is possible that in certain cases the names are not perfectly normalized since we want to make sure we take into account all local considerations.

              Can you tell me what you are exactly looking for and we can help you figure out the queries you need to provide?

              From: brandchats_team <mgosmant@...>
              Date: Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:57 AM
              To: "ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com" <ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com>

              Hi,

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 29, 2013
                Hi Rahul,

                The point is that when querying for different spanish cities we get the state they belong to in different manners.

                For instance:
                Query: Alicante (locale: en_US)-> Response: state: Valencia
                Query: Denia (locale: en_US) -> Response: state: Valencian Community

                The response is ok in both case, the problem is the normalization of the state, it should always be "Valencian Community" as it is the official name of that state.

                It also happens with:
                - Basque, Basque country, País Vasco
                - Castile Leon, Castilla and Leon, Castilla y Leon
                - Castilla-la Mancha, Castille la Mancha
                - Catalonia, Cataluña
                - Autonomous City of Ceuta, Ciudad Autónoma de Ceuta
                - Autonomous City of Melilla, Ciudad Autónoma de Melilla
                - Community of Madrid, Comunidad de Madrid
                - Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Navarre
                - Balearic Islands, Islas Baleares
                - Canary Islands, Islas Canarias
                - Principado de Asturias, Principality of Asturias
                - Valencia, Community of Valencia

                As you can see results are sometimes returned is spanish, despite the fact that it is always asked in en_US locale (on purpose, we need results in english). We are talking about 50% of the times in one spelling and 50% in the other one.