API help

  • mrbronz1
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 17, 2013
      Can some one please help me!!!

      I have been looking all day to find out how to use these API's

      All I want to do is resolve a UK Post Code to address or address group.

      As I understand it the API use a URL to retrieve the data set.

      But I can not find any thing about the syntax for the URL

      Many thanks
    • Paymon
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 17, 2013
        you can start here:
        http://developer.yahoo.com/boss/geo/docs/

        hope this helps.

        I have been looking all day to find out how to use these API's

        All I want to do is resolve a UK Post Code to address or address group.

        As I understand it the API use a URL to retrieve the data set.

        But I can not find any thing about the syntax for the URL

        Many thanks

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            ysearchboss-digest@yahoogroups.com
            ysearchboss-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • mrbronz1
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 17, 2013
          Yes tried that don't make any sense!

          That's why I asking for help

          Has anyone got a working example in C#?

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17, 2013
            Even the example dont work:-
            http://yboss.yahooapis.com/geo/placefinder?location=701+First+Ave,+Sunnyvale,+CA

            gives error:

            <yahoo:error xml:lang="en-US"><yahoo:description>Please provide valid credentials. OAuth oauth_problem="unable_to_determine_oauth_type", realm="yahooapis.com"</yahoo:description></yahoo:error>

            But can not work out how to provide the credentials that I have signed up for?????

            I have the long key... and the secret key...

            How the hell do you use them?

            --- In ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com, Paymon <paymon_a@...> wrote:

            > you can start here:
            > http://developer.yahoo.com/boss/geo/docs/
            >

            > hope this helps.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • firemodules
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 17, 2013
              You need to use the oauth library. Here is a perfectly fine and working PHP example.

              http://developer.yahoo.com/boss/search/boss_api_guide/codeexamples.html

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 17, 2013
                I would'nt even know where to start with PHP!!!

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 17, 2013
                  I already found the c# demo boss_test.cs but there is nothing to say how to use it or call it?

                  Still none the wiser!!

                  I have now been at this for a straight 30 hours

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 17, 2013
                    I understand, this seems relevant.

                    http://www.deanhume.com/Home/BlogPost/a-simple-guide-to-using-oauth-with-c-/49

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 17, 2013
                      There have been multiple discussions on this forum on this subject but specifically, I suggest that you use a %20 instead of a + in your queries.

                      That would help tremendously.

                      From: mrbronz1 <gregson61@...>
                      Date: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:20 PM
                      To: "ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com" <ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com>
                      Subject: [ysearchboss] Re: API help

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                        What???

                        I have no idea what you are talking about!!!!

                        There is only one discussion and that is how to use these yBoss API's

                        which looks like no one knows!

                      • ucosmic@ymail.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 19, 2013
                          Dear mrbronz1,

                          I have developed a PlaceFinder API client for C# / .NET. It is called NGeo. It is open source, you can find the source code at github, and there is also a nuget package for it.

                          https://github.com/danludwig/NGeo
                          http://nuget.org/packages/NGeo/

                          You can browse the source code in the github project to see how it works. If you want to fork the project and try running its tests on your local machine, just replace the App.config appSettings keys for the consumer key and secret.

                          I too found this confusing and difficult to grasp, compared to the old PlaceFinder service. I really don't think GeoPlanet is an appropriate use case for OAuth. Usually with OAuth you have to use the consumer key and secret to obtain an access token, then in subsequent requests, you send the access token and secret with your API requests (not the consumer key). However in PlaceFinder, Y! makes you send the consumer key and secret with every request. This made it impossible to use a common library like DotNetOpenAuth, because that library does not allow you to send a null or empty access token for an OAuth request.

                          You can read more about my opinions on this code smell at stackoverflow.

                          http://stackoverflow.com/q/15164092/304832

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 19, 2013
                            Correction to below. When I said "I really don't think GeoPlanet is an appropriate use case for OAuth", I meant to say "I really don't think PlaceFinder is an appropriate use case for OAuth." Why is there no option to edit a post here?