Re: Why are Boss geo placefinder results worse than YQL placefinder?

  • metro_door
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
      I see where the problem was in the java example:
      private String getSearchString() {
      return "Yahoo";
      }

      When I replaced that 'Yahoo' with
      private String getSearchString() {
      return "line1=3030 Hollywood Drive&line2=Decatur, GA&line3=USA";
      }

      It immediately urlencoded it, which messed up the the string to one of lesser quality.

      By rearranging my code to only urlencode the actual parameters and leave the '=' and'&' alone, I was able to get the good results (87%) like from before with the YQL.

      Thanks for letting me know that the backend systems are the same.

      Now I'm excited, and don't have to go back with egg on my face. Thanks again.
      -Bill Wheaton

      --- In ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com, Rahul Hampole wrote:

      > Hi
      > I just ran this query and I got a 87% quality score. Not sure what you did different but might be worth taking a look again
      >
      > Request
      > /geo/placefinder?line1=3030 Hollywood Drive&line2=Decatur, GA
      >
      > Response Snippet
      > 87 33.804359 -84.267792
      >
      > Both backends are the same and hence seeing a different score is unlikely (unless the request was itself different).
      > Best
      > Rahul
      > BOSS Team
      >
      > From: metro_door >
      > Date: Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:23 PM
      > To: "ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com " >
      > Subject: [ysearchboss] Re: Why are Boss geo placefinder results worse than YQL placefinder?
      >

      > Just as a test, I tried other more well know addresses (A large downtown building in Atlanta, GA) and the same thing happened.
      >
      > I've got my code all finished on this, but the results are disappointing. Can anything be done?
      >
      > --- In ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com , "metro_door" wrote:
      > >
      > > In the free YQL console with this query I get a 87% quality score:
      > >
      > > select * from geo.placefinder where line1="3030 Hollywood Drive" and line2="Decatur, GA"
      > >
      > > When I query Boss Geo placefinder using a location search I get a 59% quality score.
      > >
      > > When I query Boss Geo placefinder using a line1,line2,line3 parameters search it's even worse. I get a 39% quality score.
      > >
      > > Why is the quality worse with Boss Geo placefinder for the same search?
      > > Aside from unlimited number of searches, why would I pay money to use Boss Geo and get worse results?
      > >
      > > The results I am getting from Boss Geo are useless compared to YQL, how can I get the better results from Yahoo that I know it can provide?

    • metro_door
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
        Also... I see in the java example this line around line 60:

        // Add query
        params = params.concat("?q=");

        I found that I had to omit the q= part like this

        // Add query
        params = params.concat("?");

        I'm not sure what "q=" does, and its not in your response above. So trying it without it works, so I'm good now.