Re: Boss Placefinder suggestions (two of them)

  • Paul Burton
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2012
      Hi Rahul,

      Thanks. Did you catch my second suggestion? As far as I've seen, UnitType is never returned. I'd really like to prompt my users to supply apartment or suite numbers if they seem to be missing.

      Also, if by "edge case" you mean unique, that's not my experience. I've seen many situations in which the same street name exists as "Ct" and also "Rd". It may be uncommon, but I wouldn't say it's a "rare" scenario.

      If the suffix hasn't been supplied as input, then I believe it SHOULD return more than one address. After all, unless the algorithm is aware that only one of the two streets has the specified house number, (which I hope a future version will actively observe) then both addresses have an equal chance of being the intended street. (Also I'm sure there are some users who only need streets, not specific addresses, so in those cases there is no way for the algorithm to know which was intended.)

      Again please note my second suggestion.

      > Hi Paul
      > You are right. This is an edge case data quality issue and will get it fixed in a future release. My suggestion to the team has been to team has been to only return a single address but at the very least a quality indicator is useful.
      >
      > Thanks for bringing it up. We appreciate feedback such as this and any more examples you can provide makes it very useful.
      >
      > Regards
      > Rahul
      > Product Manager, Y! BOSS

    • tracy_fischer11
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
        Hi Paul,

        I've found to get Unit Number and Unit Type to return properly, the address needs to be formatted just right. I use "StreetNum StreetName StreetType StreetDirection, UnitType # UnitNum, City, State, Zip". If the '#' character is removed, or unit placed before the StreetNum (like the popular format "UnitNum - StreetNum StreetName..."), then the unit is ignored.

        Of course in order to massage the input address enough to get the unit info back, you pretty much need to identify it fully already.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
          Also I should add that unit information is returned regardless of whether the location is an MDU, it dumbly throws it back regardless.