-Still- getting inconsistent totalresults for web and limitedweb!

  • Tom Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2011
      Hi!

      We're still getting seriously inconsistent result for web and limitedweb, and now it's happening when we change the start argument, as well as irregularly during other times.

      For example, I did a search for: "Powered by Wordpress" "older entries" - this returned about 8 million pages.

      I set a loop to get the first 500 results, 50 at a time, and had it tell me what the totalresults response was each time I re-ran the query with different count arguments. At when I got the count past 250, it started telling me I had 459 results.

       Then I set the start argument to 100,000 and checked the totalresults returned from the query. At this point, it told me my total results for the query were 0.

      I'd be happy to privately send Yahoo support the PHP files I'm using. I'm quite certain this is not a coding error on my part -- I've manually tested this for hours.
    • Anshu Prateek
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2011
        The max number of results you can get for any BOSS service is 1000. Hence your start value cannot be more than 1000.

        quoting
        http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/boss_api_guide/v2_univer_api_args.html

        start

        Ordinal position of first result. First position is 0. Default sets start to 0.

        Note: Start parameter cannot be greater than 1000. All services return a maximum of 1000 results only.

        regards
        Anshu Prateek

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2011
          So, what you're saying is: although the index has 8 million plus results for my search, I'm limited to the first 1000? What's the point of the totalresult response field, then? It's purely informative, and has no other value?

          Is there some way to bypass this seemingly arbitrary limit?

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2011

            Hello Tom,

            Can you provide context as to why you need more than 1000 search results?

            My sense is that a user facing search application (as required by the Terms of Use ) should not need more than 1000 search results typically. If you can provide a good reason otherwise please let us know.

            Also, to the best of our knowledge no other search service provides anything close to 1000 search results.

            Best

            Rahul

            BOSS Team