Announcement: "Microsoft, Yahoo! Change Search Landscape"

  • Ashim Chhabra
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2009
      BOSS developers,

      Over a year ago we launched BOSS in the spirit of opening up Yahoo!'s search infrastructure to the world to help pioneer search innovation. Today, thousands of you actively use BOSS on any given day sending us tens of millions of queries. Thanks for all of your passion and help to shape the
      BOSS community, culture, and energy across the globe.

      Now, about today's announcement. There's plenty out there for you to read about the details, so we won't go into that.

      What specifically does it mean for BOSS? Honestly the team is still absorbing the implications and we just don't know. We can tell you that BOSS will remain live for the time being. There are many aspects still to be considered. Over the next several days we'll be working hard to get clarity and will update the community as soon as we can.

      If you want the official messaging, here it is…

      "What about developer tools and APIs like SearchMonkey and BOSS?

      This is the beginning of a process and we'll be working with Microsoft to determine what makes the best sense for both us and developers. Regardless, we are certainly committed to continuing to innovate on the user experience of search all across Yahoo! and on continuing to engage with the developer community on several fronts, opening up leading audience experiences and data to third-party innovation. In that context, SearchMonkey can add a lot of value to how we help people get the most out of search and out of Yahoo!. Over the next several months we'll determine what makes sense with our developer offerings and provide information when available."

      More to come soon, we promise.

      Ashim Chhabra
      The BOSS Team
    • christian.kroll83
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2009
        A quote from Techcrunch about BOSS:

        The fortunate news is that Mehdi (Microsoft SVP) says he wants to keep those projects alive. "For Search Monkey and Boss, we will integrate that technology and determine how to take that forward. There is a lot of goodness there." At least Microsoft knows a good developer platform when it sees one.

        Let's hope so.
      • jrussbowman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2009
          From the press release -

          • Yahoo! will continue to syndicate its existing search affiliate partnerships.

          Does Boss fall under this?

          --- In ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com, "Ashim Chhabra" <achhabra@...> wrote:

          > BOSS developers,
          >
          > Over a year ago we launched BOSS in the spirit of opening up Yahoo!'s search infrastructure to the world to help pioneer search innovation. Today, thousands of you actively use BOSS on any given day sending us tens of millions of queries. Thanks for all of your passion and help to shape the
          > BOSS community, culture, and energy across the globe.
          >
          > Now, about today's announcement. There's plenty out there for you to read about the details, so we won't go into that.
          >
          > What specifically does it mean for BOSS? Honestly the team is still absorbing the implications and we just don't know. We can tell you that BOSS will remain live for the time being. There are many aspects still to be considered. Over the next several days we'll be working hard to get clarity and will update the community as soon as we can.
          >
          > If you want the official messaging, here it is…
          >
          > "What about developer tools and APIs like SearchMonkey and BOSS?
          >
          > This is the beginning of a process and we'll be working with Microsoft to determine what makes the best sense for both us and developers. Regardless, we are certainly committed to continuing to innovate on the user experience of search all across Yahoo! and on continuing to engage with the developer community on several fronts, opening up leading audience experiences and data to third-party innovation. In that context, SearchMonkey can add a lot of value to how we help people get the most out of search and out of Yahoo!. Over the next several months we'll determine what makes sense with our developer offerings and provide information when available."
          >

          > More to come soon, we promise.
          >
          > Ashim Chhabra
          > The BOSS Team

        • anshu bansal
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2009
            Any idea about prospective changes in BOSS API because of Yahoo-Microsoft Deal? Will yahoo continue su0porting BOSS APIs.

            Please advise.
            Thanks
            Anshu

            • Yahoo! will continue to syndicate its existing search affiliate partnerships.

            Does Boss fall under this?

            --- In ysearchboss@ yahoogroups. com, "Ashim Chhabra" <achhabra@.. .> wrote:

            > BOSS developers,
            >
            > Over a year ago we launched BOSS in the spirit of opening up Yahoo!'s search infrastructure to the world to help pioneer search innovation. Today, thousands of you actively use BOSS on any given day sending us tens of millions of queries. Thanks for all of your passion and help to shape the
            > BOSS community, culture, and energy across the globe.
            >
            > Now, about today's announcement. There's plenty out there for you to read about the details, so we won't go into that.
            >
            > What specifically does it mean for BOSS? Honestly the team is still absorbing the implications and we just don't know. We can tell you that BOSS will remain live for the time being. There are many aspects still to be considered. Over the next several days we'll be working hard to get clarity and will update the community as soon as we can.
            >
            > If you want the official messaging, here it is…
            >
            > "What about developer tools and APIs like SearchMonkey and BOSS?
            >
            > This is the beginning of a process and we'll be working with Microsoft to determine what makes the best sense for both us and developers. Regardless, we are certainly committed to continuing to innovate on the user experience of search all across Yahoo! and on continuing to engage with the developer community on several fronts, opening up leading audience experiences and data to third-party innovation. In that context, SearchMonkey can add a lot of value to how we help people get the most out of search and out of Yahoo!. Over the next several months we'll determine what makes sense with our developer offerings and provide information when available."
            >

            > More to come soon, we promise.
            >
            > Ashim Chhabra
            > The BOSS Team

          • Ted Drake
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2009
              Hi Everyone

              The BOSS team is working very hard to get the answers to all of these
              questions. We need to give them some time to find out themselves. I don't
              think that means we should stop asking; just be patient in waiting for the
              answers.

              The best place to archive your questions and concerns is this blog post on
              the YDN network: Announcement: "Microsoft, Yahoo! Change Search Landscape"
              http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ysearchboss/message/2018

              This will be easier than parsing through threaded messages in the mailing
              list.

              Ted

              ________________________________

              --- In ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ysearchboss%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "Ashim Chhabra" <achhabra@...> wrote:

              > BOSS developers,
              >
              > Over a year ago we launched BOSS in the spirit of opening up Yahoo!'s
              search infrastructure to the world to help pioneer search innovation. Today,
              thousands of you actively use BOSS on any given day sending us tens of
              millions of queries. Thanks for all of your passion and help to shape the
              > BOSS community, culture, and energy across the globe.
              >
              > Now, about today's announcement. There's plenty out there for you to read
              about the details, so we won't go into that.

              > What specifically does it mean for BOSS? Honestly the team is still
              absorbing the implications and we just don't know. We can tell you that BOSS
              will remain live for the time being. There are many aspects still to be
              considered. Over the next several days we'll be working hard to get clarity
              and will update the community as soon as we can.

              > If you want the official messaging, here it is.
              >
              > "What about developer tools and APIs like SearchMonkey and BOSS?
              >
              > This is the beginning of a process and we'll be working with Microsoft to
              determine what makes the best sense for both us and developers. Regardless,
              we are certainly committed to continuing to innovate on the user experience
              of search all across Yahoo! and on continuing to engage with the developer
              community on several fronts, opening up leading audience experiences and
              data to third-party innovation. In that context, SearchMonkey can add a lot
              of value to how we help people get the most out of search and out of Yahoo!.
              Over the next several months we'll determine what makes sense with our
              developer offerings and provide information when available."

              > More to come soon, we promise.
              >
              > Ashim Chhabra
              > The BOSS Team

            • Ted Drake
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 30, 2009
                You know how sometimes you send an email and then slap yourself on the forehead and wish there was a button to stop an email?
                I realized too late that my message below was a bit confusing.
                The link is to the ysearchboss email that was sent by Ashim, not a blog post.

                The point is that we should maintain a single point of reference to collect and answer these questions. You could either go to that url or hit reply to Ashim's earlier message.

                I personally think this will make it easier to know what are the main concerns for BOSS developers.

                Ted

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                . Yahoo! will continue to syndicate its existing search affiliate
                partnerships.

                Does Boss fall under this?

                --- In ysearchboss@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:ysearchboss %40yahoogroups. com> ,
                "Ashim Chhabra" <achhabra@.. .> wrote:

                > BOSS developers,
                >
                > Over a year ago we launched BOSS in the spirit of opening up
                Yahoo!'s
                search infrastructure to the world to help pioneer search innovation. Today,
                thousands of you actively use BOSS on any given day sending us tens of
                millions of queries. Thanks for all of your passion and help to shape the
                > BOSS community, culture, and energy across the
                globe.

                > Now, about today's announcement. There's plenty out
                there for you to read
                about the details, so we won't go into that.

                > What specifically does it mean for BOSS? Honestly the team is
                still
                absorbing the implications and we just don't know. We can tell you that BOSS
                will remain live for the time being. There are many aspects still to be
                considered. Over the next several days we'll be working hard to get clarity
                and will update the community as soon as we can.

                > If
                you want the official messaging, here it is.

                > "What about
                developer tools and APIs like SearchMonkey and BOSS?

                > This is
                the beginning of a process and we'll be working with Microsoft to
                determine what makes the best sense for both us and developers. Regardless,
                we are certainly committed to continuing to innovate on the user experience
                of search all across Yahoo! and on continuing to engage with the developer
                community on several fronts, opening up leading audience experiences and
                data to third-party innovation. In that context, SearchMonkey can add a lot
                of value to how we help people get the most out of search and out of Yahoo!.
                Over the next several months we'll determine what makes sense with our
                developer offerings and provide information when available."

                > More to come soon, we promise.
                >
                > Ashim
                Chhabra
                > The BOSS Team

              • Bishop Rapha Cross
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
                  Hello and Yhwh Bless You from Yahweh or Yahoo

                  I am inquiring about what does Yahoo have to offer to the public or ME in being a part

                  of working with your search team.  I figured that I would inquire with you all first

                  before venturing out.

                  Yahoo had been a great blessing to me, and I am sad and very

                  disappointed to see them discontinue Geo-cities that came as a big let down to many of

                  us out side of Cyber World.

                  Owner and Founder of

                   Bishop Ralph Leslie Cross

                  503-261-0670