RE: [ysearchboss] Copyright issues of images extracted by Yahoo! API, can we freely use them?

  • Ted Drake
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2009
      It's not a violation of copyright if  you display a thumbnail and link to the original source. That was a court ruling many years ago.

      It is questionable if you are using image search and displaying larger images in your site, especially without a link to the original source.  This came up during a recent presentation by Christian Heilmann in Paris about Yahoo Developer Network. A developer was trying image search and using the large image instead of the thumbnail in the search results. Some images were returning broken because the host server was blocking requests from other urls.

      You'll notice the thumbnail images are served by Yahoo. You should use those in your search results. The larger images are great when you are building a search engine for your own site.

      As an aside, Christian Heilmann shows how to get flickr images with YQL and filter by the creative commons licence

      This is not BOSS, so you'll only get flickr based images.

      Ted

      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2009
        Hi Damen,

        This is Evan Goer from the Yahoo! BOSS Team. We wanted to jump in from an "official" Yahoo! perspective to note that laws are different in different countries, and the earlier statement in this thread about copyright is definitely not the case in all circumstances. You should *always* talk to a lawyer for these kinds of questions, especially since the answers are almost invariably complicated and differ case-by-case.

        In response to the question about the public domain, it's currently not possible to filter the Yahoo! Image Search API for public domain images. However, the Flickr API does let you retrieve an image's Creative Commons license (which can include public domain). See the Flickr API documentation for more information: http://www.flickr.com/services/api/flickr.photos.licenses.getInfo.html

        Evan

      • evangoer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2009