Clarifications on BOSS Pricing

  • Ashim Chhabra
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2009

      BOSS Developers,

      All your points are well taken.  Obviously, we care about the BOSS community and will always take your points under consideration.  To make it crystal clear why we have done this:

      -           You are now free to monetize your search product with anyone and with any type of product – this is huge.  Search monetizes extremely well and the fees we’ve outlined are small compared to what you can earn.

      -           A Yahoo self-serve ad monetization product would be great, and when it’s available we’ll be thrilled to offer it.  But we don’t want you to wait, lock you into Yahoo ad products, or hold you back from making money.

      -           We want you to feel comfortable relying on BOSS, with a basic fee structure and SLA (guaranteeing fast response times) you can now know that BOSS is not going away and we are continuing to invest in it.

      -           10,000 queries a day is well above what most developers use, so really nothing will change for the vast majority of the community.  This is also twice the previous YDN Search API limit.

      -           The price is reasonable – a $0.30 CPM equates to 100k queries for less than $30. If you are at this point, you are already making good $ - there are great monetization options for you around the web.

      -           We priced this option not to make significant revenue, but to encourage usage and cover costs.  When you do the math, we think you’ll agree.

      -           The model is based on the number queries and query type, not the number of results returned. Yes, asking for the heaviest query type: 1000 queries with 1000 results each is 30 units. Under the 30 unit free program the total queries per day can range from 1000 for the heaviest to 30000 the lightest (spelling).

      -           This is still many months away.

      Hope this provides some more insights. More information on pricing is at this page: http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/fees.html

      Thank you,

      Ashim Chhabra

      Sr. Product Manager

    • benanimhart
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2009
        Ashim

        PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS OR AT LEAST GIVE SOME SUPPORT TO YOUR EARLY
        ADOPTERS!!!

        You write:
        - A Yahoo self-serve ad monetization product would be great,
        and when it's available we'll be thrilled to offer it. But we don't
        want you to wait, lock you into Yahoo ad products, or hold you back
        from making money.

        You already have the Yahoo publisher product. Most people here would
        be okay with serving some Yahoo ads. Why not do this? You will
        generate a lot more revenue doing this instead of this shortsighted move.

        PLEASE THIS IS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER ... PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

        Where is Vic? I know he supports us on this.

        Ben

        --- In ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com, "Ashim Chhabra" <achhabra@...> wrote:

        > BOSS Developers,
        >
        > All your points are well taken. Obviously, we care about the BOSS
        > community and will always take your points under consideration. To make
        > it crystal clear why we have done this:
        >
        > - You are now free to monetize your search product with anyone
        > and with any type of product - this is huge. Search monetizes extremely
        > well and the fees we've outlined are small compared to what you can
        > earn.
        >
        > - A Yahoo self-serve ad monetization product would be great,
        > and when it's available we'll be thrilled to offer it. But we don't
        > want you to wait, lock you into Yahoo ad products, or hold you back from
        > making money.
        >
        > - We want you to feel comfortable relying on BOSS, with a
        > basic fee structure and SLA (guaranteeing fast response times) you can
        > now know that BOSS is not going away and we are continuing to invest in
        > it.
        >
        > - 10,000 queries a day is well above what most developers use,
        > so really nothing will change for the vast majority of the community.
        > This is also twice the previous YDN Search API limit.
        >
        > - The price is reasonable - a $0.30 CPM equates to 100k
        > queries for less than $30. If you are at this point, you are already
        > making good $ - there are great monetization options for you around the
        > web.
        >
        > - We priced this option not to make significant revenue, but
        > to encourage usage and cover costs. When you do the math, we think
        > you'll agree.
        >

        > - The model is based on the number queries and query type, not
        > the number of results returned. Yes, asking for the heaviest query type:
        > 1000 queries with 1000 results each is 30 units. Under the 30 unit free
        > program the total queries per day can range from 1000 for the heaviest
        > to 30000 the lightest (spelling).
        >
        > - This is still many months away.
        >
        > Hope this provides some more insights. More information on pricing is at
        > this page: http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/fees.html
        > <http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/fees.html>
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Ashim Chhabra
        >
        > Sr. Product Manager

      • johannesflorianknabe
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
          Hello Ashim,

          thanks for your clarification.
          I was just wondering whether the Terms of Use would become less
          restrictive when people are supposed to pay for BOSS.
          For example, Jean asked about the requirement of using ClickURL and 3d
          requires a search interface banning bot programming.
          Will these restrictions be removed in the future?
          Best,

          Johannes

          --- In ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com, "Ashim Chhabra" <achhabra@...> wrote:

          > BOSS Developers,
          >
          > All your points are well taken. Obviously, we care about the BOSS
          > community and will always take your points under consideration. To make
          > it crystal clear why we have done this:
          >
          > - You are now free to monetize your search product with anyone
          > and with any type of product - this is huge. Search monetizes extremely
          > well and the fees we've outlined are small compared to what you can
          > earn.
          >
          > - A Yahoo self-serve ad monetization product would be great,
          > and when it's available we'll be thrilled to offer it. But we don't
          > want you to wait, lock you into Yahoo ad products, or hold you back from
          > making money.
          >
          > - We want you to feel comfortable relying on BOSS, with a
          > basic fee structure and SLA (guaranteeing fast response times) you can
          > now know that BOSS is not going away and we are continuing to invest in
          > it.
          >
          > - 10,000 queries a day is well above what most developers use,
          > so really nothing will change for the vast majority of the community.
          > This is also twice the previous YDN Search API limit.
          >
          > - The price is reasonable - a $0.30 CPM equates to 100k
          > queries for less than $30. If you are at this point, you are already
          > making good $ - there are great monetization options for you around the
          > web.
          >
          > - We priced this option not to make significant revenue, but
          > to encourage usage and cover costs. When you do the math, we think
          > you'll agree.
          >

          > - The model is based on the number queries and query type, not
          > the number of results returned. Yes, asking for the heaviest query type:
          > 1000 queries with 1000 results each is 30 units. Under the 30 unit free
          > program the total queries per day can range from 1000 for the heaviest
          > to 30000 the lightest (spelling).
          >
          > - This is still many months away.
          >
          > Hope this provides some more insights. More information on pricing is at
          > this page: http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/fees.html
          > <http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/fees.html>
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Ashim Chhabra
          >
          > Sr. Product Manager

        • Ashim Chhabra
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009

            No removal of clickurl. We have it there for data research purposes primarily. To understand what verticals BOSS applications are catering to, etc. Not sure about bot programming. This will be something to take up with Legal over the coming months.

            There will be a fairly heavy TOS change  with the release of pricing. Expect in general language changes around usage and introduction of SLA commitments.

            As this firms up we will share more in advance of the pricing launch.

            Thanks,

            Ashim

            I was just wondering whether the Terms of Use would become less
            restrictive when people are supposed to pay for BOSS.
            For example, Jean asked about the requirement of using ClickURL and 3d
            requires a search interface banning bot programming.
            Will these restrictions be removed in the future?
            Best,

            Johannes

            --- In ysearchboss@yahoogroups.com, "Ashim Chhabra" <achhabra@...> wrote:

            > BOSS Developers,
            >
            > All your points are well taken. Obviously, we care about the BOSS
            > community and will always take your points under consideration. To make
            > it crystal clear why we have done this:
            >
            > - You are now free to monetize your search product with anyone
            > and with any type of product - this is huge. Search monetizes extremely
            > well and the fees we've outlined are small compared to what you can
            > earn.
            >
            > - A Yahoo self-serve ad monetization product would be great,
            > and when it's available we'll be thrilled to offer it. But we don't
            > want you to wait, lock you into Yahoo ad products, or hold you back from
            > making money.
            >
            > - We want you to feel comfortable relying on BOSS, with a
            > basic fee structure and SLA (guaranteeing fast response times) you can
            > now know that BOSS is not going away and we are continuing to invest in
            > it.
            >
            > - 10,000 queries a day is well above what most developers use,
            > so really nothing will change for the vast majority of the community.
            > This is also twice the previous YDN Search API limit.
            >
            > - The price is reasonable - a $0.30 CPM equates to 100k
            > queries for less than $30. If you are at this point, you are already
            > making good $ - there are great monetization options for you around the
            > web.
            >
            > - We priced this option not to make significant revenue, but
            > to encourage usage and cover costs. When you do the math, we think
            > you'll agree.
            >

            > - The model is based on the number queries and query type, not
            > the number of results returned. Yes, asking for the heaviest query type:
            > 1000 queries with 1000 results each is 30 units. Under the 30 unit free
            > program the total queries per day can range from 1000 for the heaviest
            > to 30000 the lightest (spelling).
            >
            > - This is still many months away.
            >
            > Hope this provides some more insights. More information on pricing is at
            > this page: http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/fees.html
            > <http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/fees.html>
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Ashim Chhabra
            >
            > Sr. Product Manager

          • cursor9x
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 12, 2009
              Hello Ashim,

              Is it allowed to use my own clicktracking, which passes through to the yahoo clickurl? That
              way I can also keep a track of URL's being clicked and Yahoo get's the same data too.. Will
              that be OK? I would help us keep our branding intact too :-)

              For eg:

              myurl.com/url -> directs to -> rd.yahoo.com/url

              Thanks

              Jean

            • Ashim Chhabra
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13, 2009