5713Re: Re: [ysearchboss] RE: Exact phrase search is not working

  • Alain Désilets
    Nov 5, 2013
      Here is an example whose intent is to look for the exact expression "hello world" OR "greetings universe".

      http://yboss.yahooapis.com/ysearch/web?q=%28%28%28hello%29%28world%29%29OR%28%28greetings%29%28universe%29%29%29&abstract=long

      (((hello)(world))OR((greetings)(universe)))

      The abstract=long bit means that the description of each of the hits returned by Yahoo will contain a long abstract. We can then analyse those long abstracts and eliminate the hits that don't contain either of the requested exact expressions.

      Note that in some cases, the abstract says "We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us". This is a standard message used by Yahoo in situations where, for some reason or another, it wasn't able to produce a summary of the page. You might want to discard those URLs or discard them, depending on whether you are more concerned about precision or recall.

      Notice also how we put each word between parens. This may not be absolutely necessary. As pointed out by other folks recently, you may be able to separate terms by %2B. But the parens bit works for us and we don't dare touch it.

      Hope this helps.

      Alain Désilets
      Owner, Alpaca Technologies
      alpacatechnologies.com