RE: YOUR ROSSMOOR Dollar Clubhouse or Museum?

  • Jiayi
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013

      Dear Carol:

      It is inappropriate to label the idea of fellow resident, also SOS member, as “ridiculous”.

      As Dollar house has been changed from residence to club house, why it couldn’t become a museum?  Being a historical building, displaying its history is a logical thing.  I am not suggesting to restore Dollar’s bedroom and hang a rope at door prohibit people  entering.  But hanging pictures of significant events happened in this house at selected walls, also have some flat TV, now they become thinner and thinner, will not occupy too much space, showing films of historical events. While the house still has the club functions you listed, museum add-on will only make it even more attractive. Please tell me why this is ridiculous.

      In my 11/2011 proposal to GRF, I also suggested Run model trains all over the building.  There is a wonderful example at Mt. Diablo Blvd ACE store and we have a model train club in Dollar house, if we can have trains running in the house, it will attract more kids visiting grandparents.

      I appreciate that you limit the protection target to “the building”, also you emphasize that becoming historical building will not prevent “repair and renovation”. It is smart.

      Jiayi Zhou

      Golden Rain

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013
        Jiayi,

        I did not suggest that the person was ridiculous, only the idea.  I still feel that way.  There is a great difference in limited historical display and creation of a museum. Dollar is and must remain a clubhouse.  Many residents have expressed concern that listing the property would limit our use of the building.  You and I know that is not the case and we need to be sure everyone else understands it as well.  The task at hand is protecting the house.
        If we accomplish that, it will be time to consider repair and renovation.

        I'm sorry that you took offense, none was intended.

        Carol Cayard

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013

          Thanks.

          Jiayi Zhou

          Golden Rain

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 23, 2013
            Jiayi,

            I like the train idea but not every day. Maybe on special occasions such as 4th of July, Christmas and special events.  I do like the idea of the quiet time it presents.

            Mary Anne Clark
            SDD

            On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Jiayi <zhjysf@...> wrote:

            Thanks.

            Jiayi Zhou

            Golden Rain

            --

            Mary Anne

          • Mary Anne Clark

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013

                There is a great difference in limited historical display and creation of a museum.

                I don’t think MUSEUM has only one restricted definition and neither my naming it was Chinglish.

                We have Rossmoorlish here, such as Coupon, Manor; why we couldn’t have Museum a Rossmoor proprietary definition?

                Create a museum would facilitate get help and donation, e.g. from Dollar descendants.

                One possible exhibition I just thought is laser 3D image figure: you can have Mr. Dollar sitting next to you at coach, or dancing with Mrs. Dollar’s moving image; you can also restore 1930’s room with 3D optical images.

                I don’t to make “everyone” understand this will be so difficult.

                The most important precondition is: if OHP will accept VerPlanck’s arguments on 2/8.  If not, all the discussion are meaningless.

                Jiayi Zhou

                Golden Rain