RE: YOUR ROSSMOOR Dollar Clubhouse or Museum?

  • diane guilfoy
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
      Dick is correct on coupon costs.  As to property taxes, they could possibly go down on that parcel with a historic designation, according to Warren.

      Diane Guilfoy

      To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com
      From: dick@...
      Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:28:16 -0600
      Subject: Re: YOUR ROSSMOOR Dollar Clubhouse or Museum?

      The coupon is only remotely affected by renovation costs. There's a 1.2% of the value of new construction added to property taxes.

      On 1/21/2013 12:56 PM, CarlBrown wrote:

      Diane,

      > My understanding is that the historic designation
      > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
      > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
      > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
      > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
      > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
      > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
      > complete with kitchen up to current code.

      If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
      designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
      bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
      just so I can call Dollar a historic building.

      Carl Brown
      Skycrest Dr.

    • carol2cayard
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
        The historic designation has no effect of our use of Dollar as a clubhouse.  As Diane said, the designation would make it much more difficult to tear it down.  Our goal is to prevent the building from falling victim to someone's expansion plan, now or in the future. If Walnut Creek could be persuaded to participate in the program established by the Mills Act, we could see a considerable savings on property taxes.   A listed property would qualify for restoration grants as well.

        No one in our group has ever suggested turning the building into a museum.  That would be ridiculous.  Approximately 2500 activities take place at Dollar each year.  That number includes everything from card games for four people to family reunions for large groups.  We are working to insure that will continue.  Whether the building is listed or not, it is in need of repair and I understand that GRF is working toward that end.  Repairs and restoration will only enhance our use of the building for many years to come.
          There is no down side to listing the property, unless you want to tear it down.

        Carol Cayard
        SOS
        Ptarmigan

        The coupon is only remotely affected by renovation costs. There's a 1.2% of the value of new construction added to property taxes.

        On 1/21/2013 12:56 PM, CarlBrown wrote:

        Diane,

        > My understanding is that the historic designation
        > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
        > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
        > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
        > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
        > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
        > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
        > complete with kitchen up to current code.

        If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
        designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
        bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
        just so I can call Dollar a historic building.

        Carl Brown
        Skycrest Dr.

      • Mary Anne Clark

          --

          Mary Anne

        • Jiayi
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013

            Dear Carol:

            It is inappropriate to label the idea of fellow resident, also SOS member, as “ridiculous”.

            As Dollar house has been changed from residence to club house, why it couldn’t become a museum?  Being a historical building, displaying its history is a logical thing.  I am not suggesting to restore Dollar’s bedroom and hang a rope at door prohibit people  entering.  But hanging pictures of significant events happened in this house at selected walls, also have some flat TV, now they become thinner and thinner, will not occupy too much space, showing films of historical events. While the house still has the club functions you listed, museum add-on will only make it even more attractive. Please tell me why this is ridiculous.

            In my 11/2011 proposal to GRF, I also suggested Run model trains all over the building.  There is a wonderful example at Mt. Diablo Blvd ACE store and we have a model train club in Dollar house, if we can have trains running in the house, it will attract more kids visiting grandparents.

            I appreciate that you limit the protection target to “the building”, also you emphasize that becoming historical building will not prevent “repair and renovation”. It is smart.

            Jiayi Zhou

            Golden Rain

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013
              Jiayi,

              I did not suggest that the person was ridiculous, only the idea.  I still feel that way.  There is a great difference in limited historical display and creation of a museum. Dollar is and must remain a clubhouse.  Many residents have expressed concern that listing the property would limit our use of the building.  You and I know that is not the case and we need to be sure everyone else understands it as well.  The task at hand is protecting the house.
              If we accomplish that, it will be time to consider repair and renovation.

              I'm sorry that you took offense, none was intended.

              Carol Cayard

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013

                Thanks.

                Jiayi Zhou

                Golden Rain

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 23, 2013
                  Jiayi,

                  I like the train idea but not every day. Maybe on special occasions such as 4th of July, Christmas and special events.  I do like the idea of the quiet time it presents.

                  Mary Anne Clark
                  SDD

                  On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Jiayi <zhjysf@...> wrote:

                  Thanks.

                  Jiayi Zhou

                  Golden Rain

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013

                      There is a great difference in limited historical display and creation of a museum.

                      I don’t think MUSEUM has only one restricted definition and neither my naming it was Chinglish.

                      We have Rossmoorlish here, such as Coupon, Manor; why we couldn’t have Museum a Rossmoor proprietary definition?

                      Create a museum would facilitate get help and donation, e.g. from Dollar descendants.

                      One possible exhibition I just thought is laser 3D image figure: you can have Mr. Dollar sitting next to you at coach, or dancing with Mrs. Dollar’s moving image; you can also restore 1930’s room with 3D optical images.

                      I don’t to make “everyone” understand this will be so difficult.

                      The most important precondition is: if OHP will accept VerPlanck’s arguments on 2/8.  If not, all the discussion are meaningless.

                      Jiayi Zhou

                      Golden Rain