Re: YOUR ROSSMOOR Dollar Clubhouse or Museum?

  • CarlBrown
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
      Diane,

      > My understanding is that the historic designation
      > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
      > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
      > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
      > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
      > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
      > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
      > complete with kitchen up to current code.

      If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
      designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
      bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
      just so I can call Dollar a historic building.

      Carl Brown
      Skycrest Dr.
    • diane guilfoy
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
        Then let your GRF director know.  I don't  particularly agree with your assessment of the situation.  The historic designation does serve another purpose, one that spurred SOS into pursuing it - making it harder (but not impossible) to tear the building down.

        Diane Guilfoy

        > To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com
        > From: carlbrown@...
        > Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:56:19 -0800
        > Subject: Re: YOUR ROSSMOOR Dollar Clubhouse or Museum?
        >
        > Diane,
        >
        > > My understanding is that the historic designation
        > > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
        > > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
        > > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
        > > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
        > > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
        > > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
        > > complete with kitchen up to current code.
        >
        > If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
        > designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
        > bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
        > just so I can call Dollar a historic building.
        >
        > Carl Brown
        > Skycrest Dr.
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >

        > PLEASE! Sign your e-mails! Readers want to know who you are and where you hail from (what street).
        >
        > The YOUR ROSSMOOR chat board is Rossmoor's first and only community-wide chat board. Tell your friends and urge them to join!
        >
        > If your message is likely to engender discussion, and you do not voluntarily include your name and street, the webmaster reserves the right to do so .
        >
        > Kindly remember that you are responsible for what you post. We reserve the right to revoke the membership of those who do not. And please, no posts of a commercial, group, or promotional nature such as petitions, or messages from realtors or clubs.
        >
        > We promote individual responsibility by avoiding anonymous posts. Any member may send an email to the webmaster (rmchatzz@... - remember to remove the z's) requesting the identity of the sender of any message. Our policy of holding each member publicly accountable for what he or she posts eliminates the need for censorship. Yahoo! Groups Links

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > yourrossmoor-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > yourrossmoor-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Dick Locke
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
          The coupon is only remotely affected by renovation costs. There's a 1.2% of the value of new construction added to property taxes.

          On 1/21/2013 12:56 PM, CarlBrown wrote:

          Diane,

          > My understanding is that the historic designation
          > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
          > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
          > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
          > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
          > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
          > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
          > complete with kitchen up to current code.

          If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
          designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
          bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
          just so I can call Dollar a historic building.

          Carl Brown
          Skycrest Dr.

        • Jack Cassell
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013

            Dollar Clubhouse is used for many purposes, there are 57 different poker games each week in Rossmoor, plus, cribbage, chess, and other activities, most of them in the Dollar Clubhouse, I doubt than anyone has considered providing other spaces for these programs.

            Jack
               GRRD

            From: carlbrown@...
            Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:53:52 -0800
            Subject: YOUR ROSSMOOR Dollar Clubhouse or Museum?

            Jiayi,

            I think you have some good points.  I think we need to decide if we want a clubhouse with pool, updated kitchen, accommodations for clubs or do we want to remove all the enhancements and restore the house and grounds back to their original state?

            Do we really what a historic landmark and restore it to its original state or do we have to use it as a clubhouse and pool?  If we want a clubhouse & pool then forget about trying to put it on the historic registry.

            Carl Brown
            Skycrest Dr.

          • Jack Cassell
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
              I misspoke, that is 57 games per month, sorry
              Jack
              GRRD

              To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                Dick is correct on coupon costs.  As to property taxes, they could possibly go down on that parcel with a historic designation, according to Warren.

                Diane Guilfoy

                To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com
                From: dick@...
                Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:28:16 -0600

                The coupon is only remotely affected by renovation costs. There's a 1.2% of the value of new construction added to property taxes.

                On 1/21/2013 12:56 PM, CarlBrown wrote:

                Diane,

                > My understanding is that the historic designation
                > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
                > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
                > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
                > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
                > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
                > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
                > complete with kitchen up to current code.

                If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
                designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
                bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
                just so I can call Dollar a historic building.

                Carl Brown
                Skycrest Dr.

              • carol2cayard
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                  The historic designation has no effect of our use of Dollar as a clubhouse.  As Diane said, the designation would make it much more difficult to tear it down.  Our goal is to prevent the building from falling victim to someone's expansion plan, now or in the future. If Walnut Creek could be persuaded to participate in the program established by the Mills Act, we could see a considerable savings on property taxes.   A listed property would qualify for restoration grants as well.

                  No one in our group has ever suggested turning the building into a museum.  That would be ridiculous.  Approximately 2500 activities take place at Dollar each year.  That number includes everything from card games for four people to family reunions for large groups.  We are working to insure that will continue.  Whether the building is listed or not, it is in need of repair and I understand that GRF is working toward that end.  Repairs and restoration will only enhance our use of the building for many years to come.
                    There is no down side to listing the property, unless you want to tear it down.

                  Carol Cayard
                  SOS
                  Ptarmigan

                  The coupon is only remotely affected by renovation costs. There's a 1.2% of the value of new construction added to property taxes.

                  On 1/21/2013 12:56 PM, CarlBrown wrote:

                  Diane,

                  > My understanding is that the historic designation
                  > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
                  > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
                  > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
                  > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
                  > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
                  > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
                  > complete with kitchen up to current code.

                  If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
                  designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
                  bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
                  just so I can call Dollar a historic building.

                  Carl Brown
                  Skycrest Dr.

                • Mary Anne Clark

                    --

                    Mary Anne

                  • Jiayi
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013

                      Dear Carol:

                      It is inappropriate to label the idea of fellow resident, also SOS member, as “ridiculous”.

                      As Dollar house has been changed from residence to club house, why it couldn’t become a museum?  Being a historical building, displaying its history is a logical thing.  I am not suggesting to restore Dollar’s bedroom and hang a rope at door prohibit people  entering.  But hanging pictures of significant events happened in this house at selected walls, also have some flat TV, now they become thinner and thinner, will not occupy too much space, showing films of historical events. While the house still has the club functions you listed, museum add-on will only make it even more attractive. Please tell me why this is ridiculous.

                      In my 11/2011 proposal to GRF, I also suggested Run model trains all over the building.  There is a wonderful example at Mt. Diablo Blvd ACE store and we have a model train club in Dollar house, if we can have trains running in the house, it will attract more kids visiting grandparents.

                      I appreciate that you limit the protection target to “the building”, also you emphasize that becoming historical building will not prevent “repair and renovation”. It is smart.

                      Jiayi Zhou

                      Golden Rain

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013
                        Jiayi,

                        I did not suggest that the person was ridiculous, only the idea.  I still feel that way.  There is a great difference in limited historical display and creation of a museum. Dollar is and must remain a clubhouse.  Many residents have expressed concern that listing the property would limit our use of the building.  You and I know that is not the case and we need to be sure everyone else understands it as well.  The task at hand is protecting the house.
                        If we accomplish that, it will be time to consider repair and renovation.

                        I'm sorry that you took offense, none was intended.

                        Carol Cayard

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013

                          Thanks.

                          Jiayi Zhou

                          Golden Rain

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 23, 2013
                            Jiayi,

                            I like the train idea but not every day. Maybe on special occasions such as 4th of July, Christmas and special events.  I do like the idea of the quiet time it presents.

                            Mary Anne Clark
                            SDD

                            On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Jiayi <zhjysf@...> wrote:

                            Thanks.

                            Jiayi Zhou

                            Golden Rain

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013

                                There is a great difference in limited historical display and creation of a museum.

                                I don’t think MUSEUM has only one restricted definition and neither my naming it was Chinglish.

                                We have Rossmoorlish here, such as Coupon, Manor; why we couldn’t have Museum a Rossmoor proprietary definition?

                                Create a museum would facilitate get help and donation, e.g. from Dollar descendants.

                                One possible exhibition I just thought is laser 3D image figure: you can have Mr. Dollar sitting next to you at coach, or dancing with Mrs. Dollar’s moving image; you can also restore 1930’s room with 3D optical images.

                                I don’t to make “everyone” understand this will be so difficult.

                                The most important precondition is: if OHP will accept VerPlanck’s arguments on 2/8.  If not, all the discussion are meaningless.

                                Jiayi Zhou

                                Golden Rain