Re: YOUR ROSSMOOR The Historic Dollar Clubhouse

  • CarlBrown
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 14, 2013
      Diane,

      I agree.  Making it a historic listing will at least add another level of approvals and that will add to the cost of any changes.   We have no idea what that group may or may not think is appropriate and certainly Rossmoor will lose some degree of control.  But that is what I think that is what the proponents want.  No changes even if it is in disrepair.

      Carl
    • Thomas Freund
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 14, 2013
        carl, a historic listing in no way prevents repairs. it does encourage them to be done properly and in good taste and not look like the cold cookie cutter corporate headquarters look of creekside  and gateway. tom freund s'g;gwd c't
        On Jan 14, 2013, at 7:47 PM, CarlBrown wrote:

        Diane,

        I agree.  Making it a historic listing will at least add another level of approvals and that will add to the cost of any changes.   We have no idea what that group may or may not think is appropriate and certainly Rossmoor will lose some degree of control.  But that is what I think that is what the proponents want.  No changes even if it is in disrepair.

        Carl

      • Mary Anne Clark
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
          Carl,

          The proponents of the Stanley Dollar Clubhouse would like to see the house preserved.  We don't want to see it go the way of the Jr. Dollar Clubhouse.  We don't want to see it destroyed for a parking lot, we don't want to see it neglected so that mold or other problems become an issue.

          I case you haven't been following the news, the Stanley Dollar Clubhouse is a prime and very rare example of a Western vernacular ranch house and has been compared to the Will Rogers Estate.  This may not mean much to some people but some of us who were born and raised in California, this means something.  This house has something no other building in Rossmoor has: intimate spaces and older building materials.  This gives it a certain charm, a hominess.  This may not be for everyone but apparently 3500 people in Rossmoor cherish this and consider it a sacred space.  That is not something to be sniffed at.  People really need to try to understand why this building is important to this many people.  If you try to "gussy it up" you are bound to step on toes. We have our modern monoliths, we also need the close, homey, intimate spaces that the Dollar Clubhouse offers.  We are not opposed to judicious modifications but they must be in keeping with the original design or you spoil its inherent beauty and impact.

          Mary Anne Clark
          SDD

          --

          Mary Anne

        • diane guilfoy
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
            I spoke to Warren today.  It was his opinion that a historic listing would not necessarily place an undue burden on refurbishment of the building.  In fact some code upgrades, such as stair height might actually be avoided by such a listing.  It would depend mostly on what GRF wanted to do with the building and how strict the City of Walnut Creek would be.  I think we've all seen that the City is not very strict at all, when it comes to Rossmoor.

            Diane Guilfoy

            To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 16, 2013

              A good gesture from CEO/GRF.

              Jiayi Zhou

              Golden Rain

              To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 16, 2013

                Sent from Samsung tablet

                Jiayi <zhjysf@...> wrote:

                A good gesture from CEO/GRF.

                Jiayi Zhou

                Golden Rain

                To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 20, 2013

                  After review all the materials, I highly evaluate SOS’s work.

                  Good Job

                  SOS found the right expert VerPlanck who did an excellent job surpassing GRF previously hired Page & Turnbull’s 2008 report:

                  1.    Found evidences met with California Register Criterion 2 (Persons): Associated with the lives of persons important to local, California or national history, which Page & Turnbull didn’t find.  We should realize the huge and hard work behind it: searching historical papers which I believe are not well electronically indexed;

                  2.    To California Register Criterion 3 (Design/Construction): Embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, region or method of construction or represents the work of a master or possesses high artistic values. Based on the same fact Page & Turnbull report found: It does not appear to be the work of a master or display high artistic values;  VerPlanck saw it differently:

                  ·       unpretentious vernacular, Anglo-American ranch house sources

                  ·       reject ostentation as the ultimate Depression-era sin

                  ·       simplicity was valued higher than ostentatious display

                  ·       a refreshing antidote to that trend in contemporary design

                  how smart and creative!

                  If OHP accepts VerPlanck’s conclusion, then the benefits Rossmoor could get will not be just a brass plate. Unlike RN said: Being registered wouldn't mean that the public would pour in to see the house, instead, we have the base to construct an attraction that none of other senior community has, plus potential funding and favor we could seek.

                  If Dollar house becomes a historical building, all Rossmoorian should liberate mind from prejudice and recognize SOS’s contribution and hard work.

                  Wrong Goals

                  Even though it seems a good outcome, the original goals were wrong:

                  SOS group's goal is preserving the Dollar House as a Historical Building from demolition or inconsiderate renovation under the pretext of Parking space of Event center.

                  Save Stanley Dollar from demolition was a hoax SOS’s original starters created for the aims to against GRF and stop EC.  Nobody was going to demolish it even it was not designated as historical site.

                  Even though transportation consultant Fehr & Peers did a crap job, there must be a parking lot between EC and Dollar house.  The historical site must limited to the building itself. All realistic and responsible person should admit this fact.

                  SOS did proposed a valuable solution via their recommendation of documentary film  I AM: anti-materialism. Automobile is the No.1 symbol of materialism, one way to solve traffic issue of Creekside area is to constrain automobile usage.

                  Looking Forward

                  Dollar house becomes historic building brings many opportunities for the community to endeavour to:

                  ·       Set a foundation to raise funds

                  ·       Make plans for the building.  I strongly suggest to build a museum for both Dollar and Rossmoor. It could be one important item for 50th anniversary celebration

                  ·       Retrofitting to meet contemporary seismic, energy and ADA codes. GRF hired JSWD, which has done some good work, but far from enough.

                  It’s GRF’s turn

                  In the EC controversy, GRF behaved no better than SOS.  Now, SOS has forsaken heresy and returned to the truth, how GRF will do?

                  Jiayi Zhou

                  Golden Rain

                • CarlBrown
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                    Jiayi,

                    I think you have some good points.  I think we need to decide if we want a clubhouse with pool, updated kitchen, accommodations for clubs or do we want to remove all the enhancements and restore the house and grounds back to their original state?

                    Do we really what a historic landmark and restore it to its original state or do we have to use it as a clubhouse and pool?  If we want a clubhouse & pool then forget about trying to put it on the historic registry.

                    Carl Brown
                    Skycrest Dr.

                  • diane guilfoy
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                      My understanding is that the historic designation applies more to the exterior than to the interior and would not preclude updating the kitchen or even adding an elevator.  This is certainly the case for the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which was moved back from the sidewalk to create a patio and the interior turned into a restaurant, complete with kitchen up to current code.

                      To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                        Diane,

                        > My understanding is that the historic designation
                        > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
                        > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
                        > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
                        > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
                        > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
                        > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
                        > complete with kitchen up to current code.

                        If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
                        designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
                        bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
                        just so I can call Dollar a historic building.

                        Carl Brown
                        Skycrest Dr.
                      • diane guilfoy
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                          Then let your GRF director know.  I don't  particularly agree with your assessment of the situation.  The historic designation does serve another purpose, one that spurred SOS into pursuing it - making it harder (but not impossible) to tear the building down.

                          Diane Guilfoy

                          > To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: carlbrown@...
                          > Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:56:19 -0800
                          > Subject: Re: YOUR ROSSMOOR Dollar Clubhouse or Museum?
                          >
                          > Diane,
                          >
                          > > My understanding is that the historic designation
                          > > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
                          > > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
                          > > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
                          > > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
                          > > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
                          > > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
                          > > complete with kitchen up to current code.
                          >
                          > If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
                          > designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
                          > bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
                          > just so I can call Dollar a historic building.
                          >
                          > Carl Brown
                          > Skycrest Dr.
                          >

                          > ------------------------------------
                          >

                          > PLEASE! Sign your e-mails! Readers want to know who you are and where you hail from (what street).
                          >
                          > The YOUR ROSSMOOR chat board is Rossmoor's first and only community-wide chat board. Tell your friends and urge them to join!
                          >
                          > If your message is likely to engender discussion, and you do not voluntarily include your name and street, the webmaster reserves the right to do so .
                          >
                          > Kindly remember that you are responsible for what you post. We reserve the right to revoke the membership of those who do not. And please, no posts of a commercial, group, or promotional nature such as petitions, or messages from realtors or clubs.
                          >
                          > We promote individual responsibility by avoiding anonymous posts. Any member may send an email to the webmaster (rmchatzz@... - remember to remove the z's) requesting the identity of the sender of any message. Our policy of holding each member publicly accountable for what he or she posts eliminates the need for censorship. Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > <*> Your email settings:
                          > Individual Email | Traditional
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings online go to:
                          > (Yahoo! ID required)
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings via email:
                          > yourrossmoor-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          > yourrossmoor-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Dick Locke
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                            The coupon is only remotely affected by renovation costs. There's a 1.2% of the value of new construction added to property taxes.

                            On 1/21/2013 12:56 PM, CarlBrown wrote:

                            Diane,

                            > My understanding is that the historic designation
                            > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
                            > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
                            > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
                            > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
                            > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
                            > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
                            > complete with kitchen up to current code.

                            If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
                            designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
                            bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
                            just so I can call Dollar a historic building.

                            Carl Brown
                            Skycrest Dr.

                          • Jack Cassell
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013

                              Dollar Clubhouse is used for many purposes, there are 57 different poker games each week in Rossmoor, plus, cribbage, chess, and other activities, most of them in the Dollar Clubhouse, I doubt than anyone has considered providing other spaces for these programs.

                              Jack
                                 GRRD

                              To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                                I misspoke, that is 57 games per month, sorry
                                Jack
                                GRRD

                                To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                                  Dick is correct on coupon costs.  As to property taxes, they could possibly go down on that parcel with a historic designation, according to Warren.

                                  Diane Guilfoy

                                  To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: dick@...
                                  Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:28:16 -0600

                                  The coupon is only remotely affected by renovation costs. There's a 1.2% of the value of new construction added to property taxes.

                                  On 1/21/2013 12:56 PM, CarlBrown wrote:

                                  Diane,

                                  > My understanding is that the historic designation
                                  > applies more to the exterior than to the interior and
                                  > would not preclude updating the kitchen or even
                                  > adding an elevator. This is certainly the case for
                                  > the building on Main Street Walnut Creek which
                                  > was moved back from the sidewalk to create a
                                  > patio and the interior turned into a restaurant,
                                  > complete with kitchen up to current code.

                                  If there are no plans to change the exterior why go for the historic
                                  designation in the first place? You are just adding another level
                                  bureaucracy that adds cost to any remodel. I don't want my coupon to go up
                                  just so I can call Dollar a historic building.

                                  Carl Brown
                                  Skycrest Dr.

                                • carol2cayard
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 21, 2013
                                    The historic designation has no effect of our use of Dollar as a clubhouse.  As Diane said, the designation would make it much more difficult to tear it down.  Our goal is to prevent the building from falling victim to someone's expansion plan, now or in the future. If Walnut Creek could be persuaded to participate in the program established by the Mills Act, we could see a considerable savings on property taxes.   A listed property would qualify for restoration grants as well.

                                    No one in our group has ever suggested turning the building into a museum.  That would be ridiculous.  Approximately 2500 activities take place at Dollar each year.  That number includes everything from card games for four people to family reunions for large groups.  We are working to insure that will continue.  Whether the building is listed or not, it is in need of repair and I understand that GRF is working toward that end.  Repairs and restoration will only enhance our use of the building for many years to come.
                                      There is no down side to listing the property, unless you want to tear it down.

                                    Carol Cayard
                                    SOS
                                    Ptarmigan

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013

                                        Dear Carol:

                                        It is inappropriate to label the idea of fellow resident, also SOS member, as “ridiculous”.

                                        As Dollar house has been changed from residence to club house, why it couldn’t become a museum?  Being a historical building, displaying its history is a logical thing.  I am not suggesting to restore Dollar’s bedroom and hang a rope at door prohibit people  entering.  But hanging pictures of significant events happened in this house at selected walls, also have some flat TV, now they become thinner and thinner, will not occupy too much space, showing films of historical events. While the house still has the club functions you listed, museum add-on will only make it even more attractive. Please tell me why this is ridiculous.

                                        In my 11/2011 proposal to GRF, I also suggested Run model trains all over the building.  There is a wonderful example at Mt. Diablo Blvd ACE store and we have a model train club in Dollar house, if we can have trains running in the house, it will attract more kids visiting grandparents.

                                        I appreciate that you limit the protection target to “the building”, also you emphasize that becoming historical building will not prevent “repair and renovation”. It is smart.

                                        Jiayi Zhou

                                        Golden Rain

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013
                                          Jiayi,

                                          I did not suggest that the person was ridiculous, only the idea.  I still feel that way.  There is a great difference in limited historical display and creation of a museum. Dollar is and must remain a clubhouse.  Many residents have expressed concern that listing the property would limit our use of the building.  You and I know that is not the case and we need to be sure everyone else understands it as well.  The task at hand is protecting the house.
                                          If we accomplish that, it will be time to consider repair and renovation.

                                          I'm sorry that you took offense, none was intended.

                                          Carol Cayard

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 22, 2013

                                            Thanks.

                                            Jiayi Zhou

                                            Golden Rain

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 23, 2013
                                              Jiayi,

                                              I like the train idea but not every day. Maybe on special occasions such as 4th of July, Christmas and special events.  I do like the idea of the quiet time it presents.

                                              Mary Anne Clark
                                              SDD

                                              On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Jiayi <zhjysf@...> wrote:

                                              Thanks.

                                              Jiayi Zhou

                                              Golden Rain

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013

                                                  There is a great difference in limited historical display and creation of a museum.

                                                  I don’t think MUSEUM has only one restricted definition and neither my naming it was Chinglish.

                                                  We have Rossmoorlish here, such as Coupon, Manor; why we couldn’t have Museum a Rossmoor proprietary definition?

                                                  Create a museum would facilitate get help and donation, e.g. from Dollar descendants.

                                                  One possible exhibition I just thought is laser 3D image figure: you can have Mr. Dollar sitting next to you at coach, or dancing with Mrs. Dollar’s moving image; you can also restore 1930’s room with 3D optical images.

                                                  I don’t to make “everyone” understand this will be so difficult.

                                                  The most important precondition is: if OHP will accept VerPlanck’s arguments on 2/8.  If not, all the discussion are meaningless.

                                                  Jiayi Zhou

                                                  Golden Rain