The "News"paper

  • Denise
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
      Has anyone speculated about why the Letters to the Editor have shrunk to nearly non-existent ? (This is a serious question meant to inspire lively discussion :-)

      Denise Lester

      SkyDrive
    • DR WAYNE B LANIER
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
        You need not speculate...!

        Rossmoor News declared a "Letters to the Residents Forum" EARLY DEADLINE for letters appearing January 2nd. Given the way the holidays fell, any letters appearing January 2nd had to be submitted the week before Christmas. Since most letters are either in response to news or other letters, that meant a 2-week gap in the Residents Forum

        You can get more details from Maureen O'Rourke, Communications Manager, 925-988-7808; or,  morourke@...

        You may also wish to read GRF Policy 601.2 Rossmoor News Editorial Policy. Click-on:

        The policy regarding the Residents Forum is covered in items 5, 6, & 7 - with a special Censorship Policy during elections described in item 10.

        Yes, Denise, the Rossmoor News is actively Censored, especially during elections.

        This Censorship policy contradicts the Nonprofit Mutual Interest Corporations Code and the Nonprofit Public Interest Corporations Code [both similar language]. In Justice Zuniga's decision otherwise limiting the rights of Members [otherwise known as "Residents"], she cites the Nonprofit Mutual Interest Corporations Code as governing the GRF.

        The blunt fact of the matter is that Maureen O'Rourke, Warren Salmons, and the GRF Board are absolutely uninterested in inspiring a lively discussion, especially discussions with political content that might express disagreement with Rossmoor governance.

        I recommend EVERY thinking Member [Resident] read GRF Policy 601.2 every few weeks to remind themselves that we have fewer rights in Rossmoor than did the Colonists in 1776.

        Wayne Lanier
        Leisure Lane

        On Jan 3, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Denise <lovetuscan@...> wrote:

        Has anyone speculated about why the Letters to the Editor have shrunk to nearly non-existent ? (This is a serious question meant to inspire lively discussion :-)

        Denise Lester

        SkyDrive

      • Denise Lester
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
          Ah, Dr. Lanier, I appreciate and thank you for your comprehensive response.
          Although I honestly had not thoroughly considered the "holiday phenomena", I certainly was aware, if not suspicious of the other, more global issues.

          As a relative newcomer, I frequently find myself getting wound-up over this grossly unfair state of our (mini) "nation". So much so, lately I find I have to put myself in what I term my "renter" frame of mind, if only for a brief respite from these concerns. I am a single-parent of a adult-child with disabilities. Like many, my responsibilities are great. However, it does not lessen my interest (or frustration) with what goes on in our community. I am thankful to have this forum to gain valuable information, and, to VENT!

          Denise Lester
          SkyDrive

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Mary Anne Clark
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
            Denise,

            There are many of us that share your frustration.

            Mary Anne Clark
            SDD

            --

            Mary Anne

          • Jack Cassell
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
              Yes, Mine was the best letter this week....(the only one).
              What's happened to everyone ?
              JACK GGR

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
                Because the residents finally have found out that the RN Residents Forum is just a marketing tactic to let residents 'vent their crazy ideas' as much as they wanted while the GRF and Mutuals carried on what they 'must' do. The Resident vs. GRF-Mutual financaial interests are fundamentally two different things. In my November 7, 2012 RN letter I alluded to what GRF and Mutual financial interests were. Short of this observation we would need to have a lawyer who would with some fee contingency (win-or-not-get-paid-completely) find an alternative Rossmoor financial structure which is the same for all, the Residents, GRF and Mutuals (right now we are not voting shareholders of GRF and Mutuals but rather their customers--two entirely different interests).

                Here is a copy of my letter to RN of November 7, 2012, if interested:

                Does it really matter how the Trust Document is revised when its legalese in relationship to its tangible resident benefits is so obscure that even a competent lawyer cannot decipher it? What appeared in the front page of October 24, 2012 RN, "Trust Agreement questions answered," is truly shameful, as it does not give solid guarantees that Mutuals and GRF will not breach the following resident financial interests.

                That coupon rate will never go beyond one third of what it takes to rent a similar square footage living space outside of Rossmoor in Walnut Creek. This simple progressive formula could forbid GRF and Mutuals from borrowing or spending on uncalled-for amenities which impact the coupon. Right now residents are not receiving the full benefits of Rossmoor's huge economy of scale because most of its GRF and Mutual members are living in fantasy. For example, specialized and non-emergency services, not used by at least 10% of residents, should never be paid for by anything else but fees.

                That lowest resident property equity value should not continue to be the Achilles heel of Rossmoor ownership (See the historical Trulia.com data which shows Rossmoor has always been 20-30% below Walnut Creek in value). In other words all the management 'tricks' of this community should not become the catalyst to its lowest property values so that GRF and Mutuals could use them as marketing ploy for collecting maximum number of transfer fees and other charges. To enforce this principle GRF must provide budget for institutional advertising which prevents deep bargain hunting of properties by new comers. For example rotational advertising on city buses around Bay Area could solve this problem.

                To protect these resident financial interests we must remind ourselves that we have moved into Rossmoor because of its location and open space and not expense-creating and value-decreasing encroachments.

                Cyrus Pakzad, TCD

                --- In yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com, "Denise" wrote:

                > Has anyone speculated about why the Letters to the Editor have shrunk to nearly non-existent ? (This is a serious question meant to inspire lively discussion :-)
                >
                > Denise Lester
                >
                > SkyDrive

              • Fred Krock
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
                  Cyrus:

                  "The Resident vs. GRF-Mutual financial interests are fundamentally two different things."

                  Pure nonsense. Why would GRF want anything except for resident's to be financially successful? Please explain.

                  Fred Krock
                  Comstock Dr.
> [...]

                  To protect these resident financial interests we must remind ourselves that we have moved into Rossmoor because of its location and open space and not expense-creating and value-decreasing encroachments.

                  Cyrus Pakzad, TCD

                  --- In yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com, "Denise" wrote:

                  > Has anyone speculated about why the Letters to the Editor have shrunk to nearly non-existent ? (This is a serious question meant to inspire lively discussion :-)

                • cyrus
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
                    Oh Fred, I wished your question wasn't so simple! The answer to your question would be, to concentrate power in its own hands, for wielding it rather than sharing it with the residents, (and other unexplained reasons that I am reserving for your fine and vivid imagination), and also keeping the residents more malleable! In politics and marketing it is called control of audience motivation and circumstance.
                    Cyrus Pakzad, TCD

                    --- In yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Krock" wrote:

                    > Cyrus:
                    >
                    > "The Resident vs. GRF-Mutual financial interests are fundamentally two different things."
                    >
                    > Pure nonsense. Why would GRF want anything except for resident's to be financially successful? Please explain.
                    >
                    > Fred Krock
                    > Comstock Dr.

                  • Rose Michaels
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 10, 2013
                       I used to write regularly.  However, I have given up the battle. In my last letter, I reported on an outrageous GRB proposal to use up unspent operating budget money --the proposals were plainly  a matter of record, but  Paul Rosensweig   virtually called me a liar, denying that the GRB  had made such proposal. He was allowed to attack me personally in the Letters to the Editor.

                      So why even bother to write.  .  People are disheartened -- .  If 3500 petitioners could not sway the board from going ahead with the event center, then why bother with one dissenting voice.
                      Rose Michaels