RE: YOUR ROSSMOOR Is there a safe hour for a cat to go out?

  • Jiayi
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 28, 2012

      Cat with leash? Sounds strange.

      Jiayi Zhou

      Golden Rain

      From: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com [mailto:yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of diane guilfoy
      Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:28 PM
      To: rossmoor chatboard
      Subject: RE: YOUR ROSSMOOR Is there a safe hour for a cat to go out?

      I don't know about your mutual, but my mutual prohibits any pets outside without a leash.  Hopefully, that means the pet's human is at the other end of the leash.

      Diane Guilfoy
      SDD

      To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com
      From: evesegal@...
      Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:38:12 -0800

      What time was it, Jiayi?

      I'm trying to figure out if there's a morning hour late enough for it to be safe for my cat to go outside for a little while. She wants to go out at 7 am but I'm thinking maybe 9 am might be safe?

      eve segal, Golden Rain Entry 3

      Re: Coyote and Governing

      Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:39 am (PST) . Posted by:

      "Jiayi" zhj1943

      My wife witnesses a coyote held a cat in mouth at lower Golden Rain this
      morning.

      Jiayi Zhou

      Golden Rain

    • diane guilfoy
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 28, 2012
        Strange but true.  A neighbor used to let her cats out until another neighbor complained.  There are several reasons not to do it.  Cats dig in the yards and they chase and kill birds, not just mice.  Then there is the noise from the inevitable cat fight.

        Diane Guilfoy

        To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com
        From: zhjysf@...
        Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:33:35 -0800

        To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 28, 2012
          Our cats walked on leashes. I understand that the more Siamese they are, the more likely they are to accept a leash.

          Dick Locke
          Rockledge Lane

          To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 28, 2012
            A nearby resident insisted her cats (free-range) were safe-until they weren't. Terrible price for a beloved pet to pay...

            Denise
            Skycrest

            Sent from my iPhone

            To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 28, 2012
              It is widely known that Coyote [and Kokopeli] carried expensive and highly-accurate watches. They are always on time.
              Leisure Lane

              On Nov 28, 2012, at 2:58 PM, gariagant@... wrote:

              Back when I had a cat and did let it out mornings around 11, a coyote noticed and started showing up around the same time.  End of outside excursions.
              Garia  PKD

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 28, 2012
                Dear Neighbors,

                I have a cat that I walk on a leash for forty minutes daily (perhaps it would be more correct to say that he walks me). Four years ago he was hit by a car in San Francisco. He spent two days in what I would term a feline ICU. Mercifully he pulled through but had to have his right front limb amputated. I decided that if he was going to go out at all it would be in a harness and on a leash with me firmly holding onto the other end. Looking back I was surprised at how easily and quickly he took to this. We moved to Rossmoor two years ago and he went from walking on city sidewalks to a much more countrified environment - which he thoroughly loves! On the colder days he wears a sweater vest with alternating brown and yellow stripes, giving him the appearance of a cross between a tiger and a bumble bee. Please give us a wave if you see us out walking in the vicinity of Tice Creek and Oakmount Drives. When we are not outdoors he can usually be spotted
                sitting on his cat perch looking out of our (sic) bedroom window. He answers to his given name of MAX but prefers to be addressed as Your Honor (the mayor of Tice Creek Drive). Finally, on a more somber note, I wish to say that ours is a cautionary tale, albeit one with a happy ending. To weigh in on the previous topic let me say that I would not let a cat run loose in Rossmoor. Between the cars and coyotes and the less lethal but equally feral (read DISEASE CARRYING) animals, the odds are not good.

                Bill Anderson
                TCD

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 28, 2012
                  Wonderful tale (tail).   Long may His Honor MAX reign on Tice Creek Drive.

                  L Berardi
                  Oakmont Drive

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 28, 2012

                    Turkeys dig yard and coyotes kill birds too. Protecting kitty from coyotes is a valid argument, but up to owners’ option. Such thing shouldn’t make into enforced rule.

                    Jiayi Zhou

                    Golden Rain

                    To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com
                    From: zhjysf@...
                    Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:33:35 -0800

                    To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 29, 2012
                      The safest time to let your cat out is---NEVER!

                      Kathy
                      Pine Knoll

                      To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 29, 2012
                        We had a semi enclose porch so we screened the rest in and added a cat door from the house to the porch.  The cats have a sense of the outdoors but are still safe.

                        The worst I heard was a couple who declawed their cat and let it be an outdoor cat.  The cat disappeared.  The said that the cat was destroying furniture.  They now have a totally untrained dog that destroys the furniture.

                        Carl Brown
                        Skycrest Dr.
                      • Mary Anne Clark
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 29, 2012
                          I can't believe anyone would take chances of letting their cat out after reading the article of the woman who let her cat onto her patio only to see it ripped apart by two coyotes before she could get it back inside.  Why tempt fate?

                          Mary Anne Clark
                          SDD

                          --

                          Mary Anne

                        • Jiayi
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 30, 2012

                            This morning, during rain gap, a coyote ran over the lawn in front my unit.  NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!

                            Is it a sign that coyote population increasing in this valley?  While it is a bad news to cat owners, it is good news to residents complaining geese and turkey harassing. Hope to see big birds decreasing in next year.

                            Jiayi Zhou

                            Golden Rain

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 4, 2012
                                Bill sent this to me and asked me to forward it to the list. - eve

                                From: bill anderson <bill18@...>

                                [When walking my cat on leash,] I take precautions to guard against the highly unlikely but still possible coyote attack.  We always walk during the day and I carry a shillelagh-like walking stick.  Moreover, we avoid large, open spaces that are not paved and I have simply become more vigilant in recent weeks.  However, I remain of the opinion that it is wisest to leave cats indoors, period.  This is what I was told by the folks at the SPCA when I adopted Max.  And, this was reinforced by a recent conversation with a gentleman who has a twenty-four year old cat.  When I asked him how this is possible, he said he attributes it to the fact that his cat has always been an indoor cat. However, for those cat owners who, for whatever reason simply can't do this, I offer Anderson's four suggestions for leash training a cat:

                                1) Go to a pet store and buy a harness with a detachable leash.  You might even take your cat in for a fitting.  The harness should go around the belly area and between the front and back legs.  Stay away from the thin leash and harness combinations, the ones that fit around the neck.  A cat can wiggle out of these too easily.

                                2) Start by putting your cat in the harness without the leash.  Do this indoors.  He'll probably fight it at first but your goal here is simply to get him used to wearing it.  Start with a few minutes, working up to longer periods of time until he can tolerate it for an hour.

                                3)  When this has been accomplished you can attach the leash, still keeping him indoors.  Try holding onto the other end of the leash but let him move about freely.  When he is able to walk about the house while wearing the harness and leash, you are ready to take him outdoors.

                                4)  Be prepared for the possibility of him simply hugging the ground at first, refusing to budge.  But this won't last long.  Soon his natural curiosity will take over and he will begin exploring.  You will then have a leash walking cat.

                                This process could take anywhere from a day or two to a week or more.  But be patient.  And it should go without saying but never forget that he is a cat:  He will walk you, not the other way around.  If he gets into mischief simply pick him up and put him down again a safe distance away.  Your job is merely to keep him safe.  So have fun but keep a watchful eye on him!  The need for this was brought home to me a year and a half ago, shortly after we moved into Rossmoor.  It was a beautiful summer evening.  Not knowing better we were still out after it had begun to get dark.  His Honor was nosing around in some bushes near the side of a manor. He appeared to be playing peek-a-boo with something.  I heard a faint squealing noise.  I got down on one knee and squinted in the half light.  It was then that I discovered that his new found friend was the tiniest and the cutest coyote puppy that I never want to see again.  Needless to say we made ourselves
                                scarce and haven't been back there since.  As a postscript I talked to a woman several days later who said she had recently seen an adult coyote in that same area.

                                Bill Anderson
                                TCD