RE: [IRVinforms] Letters to GRB re Emergency Plan- Role of Securitas??

  • diane guilfoy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2012
      Jo,

      I agree reactive management is not the best management, but that's where we are.  Rossmoor was designed when there were no two-car families.  I don't know how many events have caused backups in the part, but I don't want to cloud the need for an emergency plan with events over which residents have control.

      Take the holiday backup.  My family doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving on Thursday any more.  A number of years ago my parents, my son and I drove in two cars from Walnut Creek to Roseville to have Thanksgiving dinner with my sister and her husband.  It took us four hours for what should have been no more than one and a half hours because of traffic.  We knew nothing could be done about that situation, so we modified our plans in later years to celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday.

      Residents need to make such modifications in some cases, rather than expecting GRF to solve all trafiic problems.  In the Monday event, I was driving toward Rossmoor Parkway and saw the backup from Tice Creek.  I could have turned off at Gateway and would have if I hadn't had a doctor's appointment.  A few people did.  More people probably should have.

      I don't know how long an emergency plan has been in the works, but I plan to keep after Warren and Dennis on getting a draft of it out soon.  The urgency for that has been amply demonstrated in the last two months.

      Diane Guilfoy

      To: IRVinforms@yahoogroups.com; dguilfoy@...
      From: jo.malanowski@...
      Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 19:36:34 -0800
      Subject: RE: [IRVinforms] Letters to GRB re Emergency Plan- Role of Securitas??

      Diane,

      Residents’ concerns about traffic and safety have been going on for quite a while and basically IGNORED.    Recently, There was the road resurfacing tie up on Tice Valley,  the holiday back up,  the water hydrant tie up,  now the bus accident.  This is all within the past several or so months

      D. Bell and W. Salmon REACT,  VERSUS BEING  PROACTIVE . “ Reactive” management  is NOT  good management style or doing their job to protect or assist the Rossmoor Residents  in a timely manner for which Staff & Securitas are handsomely paid!     And especially, when so many residents have and  are expressing their concerns time after time, one way or another about it.

      Also,  Securitas should be able and prepared to handle emergencies and not have to look into their contract to find out if they are being paid to do what, when or where.

      Jo Malanowski

      From: IRVinforms@yahoogroups.com

      From: tap94556@...
      Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 12:44:07 -0500

      If I may, I was one of the many residents in line to exit Rossmoor on the morning of the incident.  I was able to call the Front Gate (via Cell Phone) and speak to a lady who answered. She told me about the Fire Plug problem.  I asked her if Securitas could/would help the long line of cars waiting to exit by helping redirect traffic....she told me that WC Police had jurisdiction over our streets and that it wasn't her job to help folks waiting to exit.  Perhaps the role of Securitas should be examined to allow for some common sense help/response in these situations.

      Tom Petersom.

      In a message dated 11/7/2012 9:31:44 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, dick@... writes:

      I'd hate to see this issue framed solely as an emergency issue. Yes, that's important to clarify. I'm guessing rapid and mass evacuation of the entire community by car would be an extremely unlikely event. Evacuate to where? What place would be safer, and in which circumstances? There might be some. Definitely these things need definition.

      But there's more to it than that. Not being able to get to work, plane flights, doctor's appointments, etc.  shouldn't be dismissed as a mere inconvenience.

      Some things GRF can't fix. If Tice Valley (or 680) jams up in both directions, well, other than calling both the Sheriff and WC Police, there's not much to do.

      Expecting to open the Comstock gate and/or the Golden Rain Road gate for a backup entry/exit requires some careful analysis and possible expense to assure a clear path once off our property. I think it could be done, but as Fred Krock pointed out on Yourrossmoor, the path through our neighbors' property has its own issues and would require negotiating a guaranteed clear path.  An alternative could be to rework the center dividers on Rossmoor Parkway outside the gate so the road could be kept open on one side with two way traffic. That would limit the problems to circumstances that block all four lanes.

      Anyway, it's complicated and really requires a thorough professional analysis.

      On 11/7/2012 8:42 AM, diane guilfoy wrote:

      I was delighted to receive four forwarded emails this morning from residents who emailed the Board.  Three of the four pointed out specific areas where improvement was needed or offered specific ideas for an emergency plan.  Thanks to those on these chatboards who sent the emails.

      As to an emergency plan, according to Warren, Dennis Bell is working on a draft emergency plan that will be presented to the Board and to residents for review and input.  Hopefully the draft will be presented soon.  I have urged that information be put in the Rossmoor News to let residents know that GRF is actually in the process of doing something about the emergency situation.

      Diane Guilfoy

    • diane guilfoy
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2012
        I have just received an email from Warren in response to my email to him and Don Liddle requesting a status on an emergency plan for Rossmoor.  They have decided have a status report at the Jan 8 Board meeting, in place of a previously planned presentation on capital improvements.  If you have concerns about this topic, I strongly suggest you attend this meeting.

        Diane Guilfoy

        To: IRVinforms@yahoogroups.com; dguilfoy@...
        From: jo.malanowski@...
        Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 11:40:21 -0800

        Diane,

        I very much appreciate your comments and know that you for one on the Board try to be right on top of all kinds of situations and follow up.  Thank you so much.

        Rossmoor is a senior community with a certain portion of the people who need extra care/attention, so to speak.  They require more guidance and care.

        When these recent 4 or so emergencies arose, they were all impacted at the GATE and adjacent areas.  It should have been obvious to the Gate employees IMMEDIATELY there were problems.  Of course, with the hydrant and bus accidents that was obvious, and I am sure they acted well and  immediately.

         Gate employees should  also immediately contact their superiors.   Their Supervisor and D. Bell need to actively be on sight (asap)  and handle the developing second level problem, traffic!   Emergency traffic congestion requires a Plan B Option, and perhaps even a Plan C Option WHICH HAS NOT BEEN DEVELOPED IN THE YEARS I HAVE LIVED HERE.  So, hopefully, staff’s REACTIVE management of these problems will finally be addressed.

        Good work, Diane.

        Jo Malanowski

        From: IRVinforms@yahoogroups.com

        To: IRVinforms@yahoogroups.com