      From: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com [mailto:yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of diane guilfoy
      Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:25 PM
      To: rossmoor chatboard
      Subject: RE: YOUR ROSSMOOR The Historic Dollar Clubhouse

      I spoke to Warren today.  It was his opinion that a historic listing would not necessarily place an undue burden on refurbishment of the building.  In fact some code upgrades, such as stair height might actually be avoided by such a listing.  It would depend mostly on what GRF wanted to do with the building and how strict the City of Walnut Creek would be.  I think we've all seen that the City is not very strict at all, when it comes to Rossmoor.

      Diane Guilfoy

      To: yourrossmoor@yahoogroups.com
      From: mslark3@...
      Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:09:35 -0800

      Carl,

      The proponents of the Stanley Dollar Clubhouse would like to see the house preserved.  We don't want to see it go the way of the Jr. Dollar Clubhouse.  We don't want to see it destroyed for a parking lot, we don't want to see it neglected so that mold or other problems become an issue.

      I case you haven't been following the news, the Stanley Dollar Clubhouse is a prime and very rare example of a Western vernacular ranch house and has been compared to the Will Rogers Estate.  This may not mean much to some people but some of us who were born and raised in California, this means something.  This house has something no other building in Rossmoor has: intimate spaces and older building materials.  This gives it a certain charm, a hominess.  This may not be for everyone but apparently 3500 people in Rossmoor cherish this and consider it a sacred space.  That is not something to be sniffed at.  People really need to try to understand why this building is important to this many people.  If you try to "gussy it up" you are bound to step on toes. We have our modern monoliths, we also need the close, homey, intimate spaces that the Dollar Clubhouse offers.  We are not opposed to judicious modifications but they must be in keeping with the original design or you spoil its inherent beauty and impact.

      Mary Anne Clark

      SDD

      On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Thomas Freund <freund@...> wrote:

      carl, a historic listing in no way prevents repairs. it does encourage them to be done properly and in good taste and not look like the cold cookie cutter corporate headquarters look of creekside  and gateway. tom freund s'g;gwd c't

      On Jan 14, 2013, at 7:47 PM, CarlBrown wrote:

      Diane,

      I agree.  Making it a historic listing will at least add another level of approvals and that will add to the cost of any changes.   We have no idea what that group may or may not think is appropriate and certainly Rossmoor will lose some degree of control.  But that is what I think that is what the proponents want.  No changes even if it is in disrepair.

      Carl

      --

      Mary Anne

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic