Re: [Young MS] Who can donate?

  • Giselle
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
      I'm new here, and I apologize if this has been posted before, but I
      think people with MS are allowed to give blood. My neurologist said
      that it's fine for me to give blood, and I've asked several people
      at my local blood bank--it's associated with Blood Centers of the
      Pacific. They all said that as long as my MS was "stable" I could
      give blood. I thought people might like to know this. Cheers!
      Giselle

      http://www.bloodcenters.org/

      --- In youngms2@yahoogroups.com, Billsfan <fooledbyasmile@m...>
      wrote:
      > That information, that I posted was from their website, the Red
      Cross. It
      > certainly isn't a clear policy to me, whatever it is.
      >
      > Maria Santos wrote:
      >
      > > People with MS are not allwoed to donate blood according to the
      Red Cross.

      > > Billsfan <fooledbyasmile@m...> wrote:Who can donate?
      > > You must be in good health and at least 17 years of age to
      donate blood,

      > > although some states permit younger people to donate if they have
      > > parental
      > > consent.
      > >
      > > Most blood banks have no upper age restrictions. Minimum weight
      > > requirements may vary depending upon where you are donating, but
      110
      > > pounds is generally an accepted guideline.
      > >
      > > Who can't donate?
      > > You may not donate if:
      > >
      > > • you have ever used a needle to administer a
      non-prescription
      drug
      > > • you have AIDS or HIV infection
      > > • you are male and have had sexual contact with other men
      > > • you are a hemophiliac
      > > • you have certain parasitic infections
      > > • you have Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD or "Mad Cow"
      disease)
      or if
      > > • someone in your immediate family has CJD
      > > • you have had hepatitis since your eleventh birthday
      > >
      > > In addition, some prescription drugs may lead to deferral.
      > >
      > > How often can I donate blood?
      > > Generally every 8 weeks (56 days) if you are donating whole
      blood. If
      > > you are donating other blood components, such as platelets or
      plasma,
      > > you may donate more frequently depending on local blood
      collection
      > > guidelines.
      > >
      > > How safe is the blood supply?
      > > The blood supply is the safest it has ever been due to several
      layers of
      > > security that have been put into place to ensure that blood
      donations
      > > are not compromised. Both the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
      and
      > > individual blood centers work very hard to ensure that the blood
      supply
      > > is safe:
      > >
      > > All blood centers and hospitals that collect blood are required
      > > register with the FDA. Facilities registered with the FDA are
      inspected
      > > at least once every
      > > other year. Federal regulations require that donors are asked a
      variety
      > > of health history and lifestyle questions. This very direct
      screening
      > > process has reduced the number of unsuitable donors. Federal
      > > regulations also require that once a donor is accepted, his or
      > > her blood is tested for several infectious diseases, and if
      positive,
      > > the blood not be used for transfusion.
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorAlt Text

      Service.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Maria Santos
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
        I was told by the Red Cross that people with MS cannot donate blood . My neuro said it was because the origin of MS was unknown even though it was not blood borne.

        Giselle <hollybutter@...> wrote:I'm new here, and I apologize if this has been posted before, but I