The Modern Day Existential Conflict

  • Dick Richardson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 7:31 AM

      The Modern Day Existential Conflict.

      Information overload and fatigue maybe?

      Is it just me imagining things or are there just so many more people in this day and age who seem to be out of sync with things?  That is to say, are there far more cases today of peoples daily rational discursive mind being out of syncopation and harmony with their subconscious mind and the world they find around them - or both maybe?

      Has there ever been such a time on earth when there was just so much crime, petty crime, rank meaningless vandalism; rapes, murders, theft, drug addictions, hostilities, aggression, road rage, rushing about hither and thither, paranoia, headaches, sleeplessness, worry, anxiety, stress, visits to shrinks, quacks, the doctors surgery, suicides, looking for something they know not what or where; and you name the rest of it. Why? Or is it all a mere illusion and not really real?

      I have written a bit about this ‘being in tune, sync, and harmony’ bit in various books and articles simply because I think it is so important; and the major causes (not just the resulting effects) should be found.  But do the powers that rule here really want all this stuff cured?  Because it does generate one hell of lot of revenue for big business, chemical and drug companies, arms and munitions conglomerates, et al. And to say nothing of the holiday trade and the ‘get away from it all’ so called retreats :- ) Is society going nuts – not to put to fine a point on it?

      The psyche has been evolving here for a few million years or more now.  But up to fairly recent times not a great deal happened in the way of radical change in peoples daily lives. Even up until recently ( fifty to hundred years ago) people were born into a small village and never went further than a few dozen miles in their life ( I know some, just a few, in this part of the world who are much like that today). But most seem to have been contented enough, did their work rest and play, and did not rush off once a week to the shrink to get sorted out. True, there were no shrinks; but demand dictates what one gets.

      Could it then be the case that since the industrial revolution got up steam and really under way, then advanced technology, all the books, all the possible things to do and cram into a lifetime, was too much of a quick existential evolutionary leap, and hence the psyche had not yet caught up with the massive change in human life on earth?

      Most of us simply do the obvious thing and chill out – walk over the hills, take an hour off each day to simply stand a stare, crash out in the garden listening to the birds, etc.  But not only do they not all do that, but some of them do not even get the time or opportunity to do it.  And hence regular headaches, stress, feeling tired and fed-up, until BINGO, some dreaded illness makes them rest and relax – and maybe even question their life style. Needles to say that all this is true to an extent.  But I wonder just how much this is all effected by information overload.

      I have know many people working in therapy, and also those that sit up nights and answer suicidal phones calls – even from young kids these days.  And it is just getting worse and worse, more and more.  Huh !  And they worry about global warming – they aint even going to live that long unless they do something about their self first. What is wrong with them all for heaven sake? A young forty year old otherwise healthy married executive (nice guy) with a great wife and two fine kids, wakes up on Tuesday morning sits one the edge of the bed, yawns - and instantly drops dead ! Why? Gangs of twelve year old kids (mob-handed) beating up passers by and filming it on the hand phones. Why?  It never used to be like that even in my early time here – Huh!  We do not live on the world which I was born on.

      We have to adapt to changing times, and always have. But how long does it take for the psyche and sub conscious mind to do that?  How fast can it do that?  How fast can it adapt to change in environment and daily life?  Can it keep up the pace?  What happens if it does not and in a really big way?  Lemmings over the edge of the cliff top maybe?

      Why is it that so many people love to come and visit the old West Country in England; where so many places seem to be timeless and changeless?  Not hard to work out is it. And of course such things as national parks where they can chill out and get away from it all?  Because things do not change much, and certainly not fast.  That kind of feeling of deeply wanting something enduring and unchanging – an archetype of the psyche at a deep level.

      But it is no good doing any of that if they bring the same frame of mind with them when they do it. How many people say that they need a holiday just after a holiday?  Some holiday and chill out to be sure.  How many people get ill as soon as they go on holiday?  Probably the first time in ages that their system has even had the time to be ill.

      I wonder when things will change :- ))) For the better that is. Or should one say (if a pessimist)  IF.

      The mystics tell them to grab the day – truly I do not think they have got any clue what they really mean by that. Grabbing the day, to them, seems to be taking a day off from paid work and rushing around from arsehole to breakfast time seeing how many trivial and useless things they can cram into it :- ))))

      Moreover, I wonder what percentage of these folks ever have a deep life enhancing spiritual transcendent experience - where relaxation, harmony, peace and quite, and going with the natural flow are all an essential prerequisite for it to even happen. When do they ever get a few hours to spare (whilst awake) for that to even happen at all? Well, you answer it.

      Ah well, lack-a-day.

      Dick.

    • Say-as-it-is Bad-like-rass