Moderate in Eating ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2006
      Friends:

      Any Self-Control starts with Guarding the 6 Doors of the Senses!!!

      Bhikkhus by possessing three qualities, one lives in this very life full of pleasure & joy!
      Furthermore, one has thereby prepared the elimination of the mental fermentations...
      What are these three advantageous qualities?

      One guards the doors of the senses,
      One is moderate in eating, and
      One is devoted to wakefulness...

      How is a Bhikkhu moderate in eating? In this, a Bhikkhu, reflecting rationally, eats food
      neither for the sake of entertainment, nor of infatuation, nor wishing for bodily beauty,
      but exclusively for the support and maintenance of this body, for ending of discomfort,
      and for assisting this Noble life, considering: In this way I will now end this old feeling,
      yet without arousing any new feeling! Thus will I remain healthy, blameless & in comfort...
      Exactly as one anoints an open wound, only for the purpose of making it heal, or just as
      one greases an axle only for the sake of easy transport of a heavy load, so does a Bhikkhu,
      who is moderated in eating, while always reflecting rationally in this way, eat food ...

      Source (edited extract):
      The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya. Book IV [176-7]
      Section 35: The 6 Senses. Salayatana.
      The Horse-Wagon. Rato 239.
      http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/index.html

      PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
      will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

       Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!

      http://What-Buddha-Said.net
       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.