Karmic Resultants: Just Cause & Effect ...

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2005
      Friends:

      Phenomena that are Results, Cause Results or Neither:

      Which are the mental states, that are results ?
      The results of good and bad mental states, which take effect in
      the worlds of sense desire, in the planes of fine material form,
      in the formless realms, and in the supramundane states: That is
      the cluster of feelings, perceptions, mental constructions & the
      cluster of types of consciousness... These are the phenomena,
      which are results!

      Which are the mental states, that cause results ?
      Good and bad states, belonging to the worlds of sense desire, to
      the planes of fine material form, to the formless realms, and to the
      supramundane states: That is the cluster of feelings, perceptions,
      mental constructions and the cluster of kinds of consciousness...
      These are the phenomena, which cause results!

      Which are the states, that neither are results nor cause results ?
      Those mental states governing action, which are neither good nor bad!,
      nor the results of other prior action, and moreover all form, and finally
      the unconditioned element of Nibbana... These are the phenomena, which
      neither are results themselves, nor cause any other results!

      Source: The 1st canonical Abhidhamma Book: Dhammasanghani: pp 991-993
      The Classification of States. The Enumeration of Ultimate Realities.
      Tr. by U Kyaw Khine. 1999. Sri Satguru Publications. Delhi.

       PS: Please include the word Samahita in any comment, since then
       will my automatic mail filters pick it up and I will see it & respond!!

       Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

       Friendship is the Greatest ...
       Let there be Calm Free Bliss !!!

      http://www.What-Buddha-Said.org/

       Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.