Fwd: Nice Thoughts

  • Ging
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2003

       It's Worth Reading.......!!!

      One day a teacher asked her students to list the  names of the other students in the room on two sheets of  paper, leaving a space between each name.  Then she told them to think of the nicest  thing they could say about each of their classmates and  write it down.

      It took the  remainder of the class period to finish their assignment,  and as the students left the room, each one handed in the  papers.  That Saturday, the teacher  wrote down the name of each student on a separate sheet  of paper, and listed what everyone else had said about  that individual.   On Monday she  gave each student his or her list. Before long, the  entire class was smiling. "Really?" she heard whispered.  "I never knew that I meant anything to anyone!"  and, "I didn't know others liked me so much," were most of  the  comments.

      No one ever mentioned  those papers in class again. She never knew if they  discussed them after class or with their parents, but it  didn't matter. The exercise had accomplished its  purpose.

      The students were happy  with themselves and one another.

      That group of students moved on. Several years later, one  of the students was killed in Vietnam his teacher attended the funeral of that special student.  She had never seen a serviceman in a  military coffin before. He looked so handsome, so  mature.

      The church was packed with  his friends. One by one those who loved him took a last  walk by the coffin. The teacher was the last one to bless  the coffin.  As she stood there, one of the soldiers who  acted as pallbearer came up to her.

      "Were you Mark's math teacher?" he  asked.

      She nodded: "yes."

      Then he said: "Mark talked about you a  lot.

      "After the funeral, most of  Mark's former classmates went together to a luncheon.  Mark's mother and father were there, obviously waiting to  speak with his teacher.

      "We want to show you something," his father said, taking a wallet out of his pocket. "They found this on Mark when he was killed. We thought you might recognize it."  Opening the billfold, he carefully removed two worn pieces of notebook paper that had obviously been taped,  folded and refolded many times.

      The teacher knew without looking that the papers  were the  ones on which she had listed all the good things each of  Mark's classmates had said about him.

      "Thank you so much for doing that," Mark's mother said. "As you can see, Mark treasured it."

      All of Mark's former class mates started to  gather around. Charlie smiled  rather sheepishly and said, "I still have my list It's in  the top drawer of my desk at home."

      Chuck's wife said, "Chuck asked me to put his in our wedding album."

      "I have mine too," Marilyn  said. "It's in my diary."

      Then Vicki, another classmate,  reached into her  pocketbook, took out her wallet and  showed her worn
      and frazzled list to the group. "I carry  this with me at all times, " Vicki said and without  batting an eyelash, she continued: "I think we all saved  our lists."

      That's when the  teacher finally sat down and cried.  She cried for Mark and for all his friends who would never see him again.

      The density of people  in society is so thick that we forget that life will end  one day. And we don't know when that one day will  be.

      So, please tell the people you  love and care for that they are special and important.  Tell them, before it is too late.

      Forward this message on. If you do not send it, you will  have once again passed up the wonderful opportunity  to do something nice and beautiful.

      If you've received this, it is because  someone cares for you and it means there is probably at  least someone for whom you care.

      If you're "too busy" to take those few  minutes right now to forward this message on, would this be the VERY first time you didn't do that little thing  that would make a difference in your  relationships?

      The more people  that you send this to, the better you'll be at reaching  out to those you care about.  Remember, you reap what you sow, the good you put into the  lives of others comes back into your own

      Do you Yahoo!?