RE: [Yoshinkan] Deleted posts

  • Alan Shumak Sensei
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2013
      Awsome!

      Thanks,

      Alan

      Alan Shumak - Toronto Aikido Centre _S\�_

      647-896-2257

      dojo@...

      http://www.torontoaikido.com <http://www.torontoaikido.com/>

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
        Hey all,

        We just had a current senshusei join our group.

        Ben - I'd love to hear about your course. We've not heard much from people in the last couple of courses.

        Michael

      • grumpybenjamin
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
          Hi Michael,

          Thanks for the shout out. Sorry I didn't reply until now. I'm still getting the hang of the yahoo interface.

          I tried posting some stuff about my course but Im not sure it went through. Just in case, I'm copying it below.

          In general, what I know of the past few years is that the course endures, although structurally it may have changed quite a bit. For the most part, the cops train together with the intl folk. Most people who join are white belts. Most of the really nasty training (usagi tobi, hundreds of breakfalls, sit in seiza for over an hour) is largely gone after April. Also, the Takadanobaba dojo means there is a lot less space so when cops and intl are together hajime geiko can get very awkward. There are also only 2 uchideshi now and no full-time sewanin.

          The fundamental things appear to be the same though. The course is grueling, the teachers are brutal (though compassionately so), and a good number of people spend most of the course with an injury. Everyone spends a year being told how awful they are and nevertheless graduates with a black belt, something I personally found very confusing until I started going to the dojo as a regular member this week and was shocked to find myself being selected as uke for the sensei because I had better ukemi than anyone else in the class. I had started senshusei when I was still mukyuu so this was pretty big for me.

          Oh and of course while dojo politics at honbu remains an absolute mess the teachers are still top notch. Some things never change.

          Benjamin

          Hello Everyone,

          The 22nd class of the kokusai senshusei program had our graduation ceremony
          yesterday so I thought I would give a shout-out to the list.

          Our main teachers were Chino Shihan, now dojocho, Noriki Shihan, Nakajima Shihan
          of the police, and uchideshis Yanagihara Shidoin and Uchikawa Shidoin.

          We were also taught by Oyamada Shihan, Sonoda Shihan, and Kimura Shihan (police)
          up until the end of December. Shioda Soke briefly taught us before he left the
          dojo in June and his son Masa Sewanin would occasionally show up in keiko. Romeo
          Shihandai and Noda Shidoin visited a few times.

          We started with 12 and ended with 8. Of those who graduated, our ages ranged
          from 18 to 36 and all but one of us were male. 3 of us were foreign and the rest
          Japanese, although this included one half-filipino and one bilingual. We were
          almost entirely beginners, except for Oyamada Shihan's son who entered 3rd dan
          and graduated 4th after spraining his knee in the middle of his final test. Ours
          was the first year in which Chino Sensei was in charge of the dojo for most of
          the duration of the course.

          If anyone has any questions about honbu or other details about the course I'd be
          happy to answer them. Our shaonkai (thank-you party) is in 5 hours so if you
          reply quickly I might be able to pass something on to the senseis.

          Ossu,

          Benjamin

          --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, aikispike <aikispike@...> wrote:

          > Hey all,
          >
          > We just had a current senshusei join our group.
          >
          > Ben - I'd love to hear about your course. We've not heard much from people in the last couple of courses.
          >
          > Michael

        • aikispike
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
            Hi Ben,

            Thanks for the update. It is great to hear from a Senshuei - its been a few years since we had any current or recent ones join our group.

            It's nice to hear that the teachers are compassionately brutal - it seemed to me that the brutal had outweighed the compassion for a few years. Just doing the three classes a day for a year is hard enough - there is no reason to make it any harder.

            Keep up the training after you graduate. Too many people drop out after the course - which i dont understand... why put up with it all if you aren't going to keep it up. Also, aikido is much, much more fun after the course ends. Over the next couple years you will find yourself  relearning things that you thought you had learned before- the course is so compact that your body and brain needs time to sort out everything. The "Aha!" moments are worth it.

            Michael

            ________________________________
> [...]

            almost entirely beginners, except for Oyamada Shihan's son who entered 3rd dan
            and graduated 4th after spraining his knee in the middle of his final test. Ours
            was the first year in which Chino Sensei was in charge of the dojo for most of
            the duration of the course.

            If anyone has any questions about honbu or other details about the course I'd be
            happy to answer them. Our shaonkai (thank-you party) is in 5 hours so if you
            reply quickly I might be able to pass something on to the senseis.

            Ossu,

            Benjamin

            --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, aikispike <aikispike@...> wrote:

            > Hey all,
            >
            > We just had a current senshusei join our group.
            >
            > Ben - I'd love to hear about your course. We've not heard much from people in the last couple of courses.

          • Randy Stoner
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
              Grats, Michael!

              I am sure completion is no less a great feeling than we other senshusei felt.

              Good luck in your future endeavors..

              Randy

> [...]

              almost entirely beginners, except for Oyamada Shihan's son who entered 3rd dan
              and graduated 4th after spraining his knee in the middle of his final test. Ours
              was the first year in which Chino Sensei was in charge of the dojo for most of
              the duration of the course.

              If anyone has any questions about honbu or other details about the course I'd be
              happy to answer them. Our shaonkai (thank-you party) is in 5 hours so if you
              reply quickly I might be able to pass something on to the senseis.

              Ossu,

              Benjamin

              --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, aikispike <aikispike@...> wrote:

              > Hey all,
              >
              > We just had a current senshusei join our group.
              >
              > Ben - I'd love to hear about your course. We've not heard much from people in the last couple of courses.

            • aikispike
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 16, 2013
                Hello all,

                anyone in the Toronto area interested in some used tatami? We are selling a number of our used mats - $20 each.

                please email me if you are interested. Pickup is at AYC - Yonge and Gerrard.

                aikispike @ yahoo.com