Inoue Kyoichi Hanshi Sensei seminars in Sydney Australia

  • dotars_2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
      Osu!

      I just attended the seminars held by Inoue Hanshi Sensei in Sydney
      (Australia) and watched the demonstration held in his honour.
      Thought you may be interested in getting a bit of an overview of the
      seminars and demonstration.

      Hanshi's seminars drilled down to some very fine technical details
      and we got a lot out of them. It was physically tiring but we were
      still smiling at the end of them.

      I scored a few soft dame from Hanshi but he is a real gentleman in
      every sense. In the streets, you could not tell that he is a master
      of budo – unless your eyes are trained to see a true budo master.

      He is also very well connected and treasured – Hanshi was invited to
      dinner at the ambassador's residence as some of the Japanese
      diplomats/staff had received training from him in the past.

      As for the demonstration, it was truly an impressive display by
      Sydney and Melbourne Yoshinkan instructors and black belts.

      While Yoshinkan is known as the "hard" style, it can also be
      described as "robust". Thus, I think Hanshi would have been truly
      honoured by the robustness with which our senior instructors
      demonstrated jiyu waza on the black belts. ;-) I certainly held my
      breath many times and was thankful that I am still only a relative
      beginner and not on the receiving end!

      Joe Thambu Sensei of Melbourne demonstrated amazing jiyu waza
      against many. It was simply breathtaking.

      And there was one particular technique that Darren Friend Sensei of
      Sydney demonstrated – it is considered to be a secret technique (?)
      and I have only heard of it previously. In essence, 2 uke
      manhandled Sensei by grabbing him on either side and lifted him off
      the ground - at least 1.5 meters by my estimate. Then Sensei
      dropped his weight – became dead weight? …. He landed on his feet
      and at the same time, flipped the 2 uke over on their backs!? Wow!
      I hoped the videos captured this!

      Hanshi then demonstrated his fine artistry on the senior
      instructors. It was a privilege to see his demonstration.

      Well must go for now … got some very sweaty dogi's to clean up. I'm
      heading off to Melbourne this Friday/weekend to do more of the same
      under Hanshi's masterful watchful eyes, and see more robust
      demonstrations.

      Osu!

      TS
    • Syahrin Syahrin
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
        any video that can we shared? i LOVE to watch i... :)

        On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 1:09 PM, dotars_2003 <dotars_2003@...>
        wrote:

        > Osu!
        >
        > I just attended the seminars held by Inoue Hanshi Sensei in Sydney
        > (Australia) and watched the demonstration held in his honour.
        > Thought you may be interested in getting a bit of an overview of the
        > seminars and demonstration.
        >
        > Hanshi's seminars drilled down to some very fine technical details
        > and we got a lot out of them. It was physically tiring but we were
        > still smiling at the end of them.
        >
        > I scored a few soft dame from Hanshi but he is a real gentleman in
        > every sense. In the streets, you could not tell that he is a master
        > of budo � unless your eyes are trained to see a true budo master.
        >
        > He is also very well connected and treasured � Hanshi was invited to
        > dinner at the ambassador's residence as some of the Japanese
        > diplomats/staff had received training from him in the past.
        >
        > As for the demonstration, it was truly an impressive display by
        > Sydney and Melbourne Yoshinkan instructors and black belts.
        >
        > While Yoshinkan is known as the "hard" style, it can also be
        > described as "robust". Thus, I think Hanshi would have been truly
        > honoured by the robustness with which our senior instructors
        > demonstrated jiyu waza on the black belts. ;-) I certainly held my
        > breath many times and was thankful that I am still only a relative
        > beginner and not on the receiving end!
        >
        > Joe Thambu Sensei of Melbourne demonstrated amazing jiyu waza
        > against many. It was simply breathtaking.
        >
        > And there was one particular technique that Darren Friend Sensei of
        > Sydney demonstrated � it is considered to be a secret technique (?)
        > and I have only heard of it previously. In essence, 2 uke
        > manhandled Sensei by grabbing him on either side and lifted him off
        > the ground - at least 1.5 meters by my estimate. Then Sensei
        > dropped his weight � became dead weight? �. He landed on his feet
        > and at the same time, flipped the 2 uke over on their backs!? Wow!
        > I hoped the videos captured this!
        >
        > Hanshi then demonstrated his fine artistry on the senior
        > instructors. It was a privilege to see his demonstration.
        >
        > Well must go for now � got some very sweaty dogi's to clean up. I'm
        > heading off to Melbourne this Friday/weekend to do more of the same
        > under Hanshi's masterful watchful eyes, and see more robust
        > demonstrations.
        >
        > Osu!
        >
        > TS

      • Shumaker, Gordon
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
          "Robust"--very nice word to describe our style; much better than "hard."

          wrote:

          > Osu!
          >
          > I just attended the seminars held by Inoue Hanshi Sensei in Sydney
          > (Australia) and watched the demonstration held in his honour.
          > Thought you may be interested in getting a bit of an overview of the
          > seminars and demonstration.
          >
          > Hanshi's seminars drilled down to some very fine technical details
          > and we got a lot out of them. It was physically tiring but we were
          > still smiling at the end of them.
          >
          > I scored a few soft dame from Hanshi but he is a real gentleman in
          > every sense. In the streets, you could not tell that he is a master
          > of budo - unless your eyes are trained to see a true budo master.
          >
          > He is also very well connected and treasured - Hanshi was invited to
          > dinner at the ambassador's residence as some of the Japanese
          > diplomats/staff had received training from him in the past.
          >
          > As for the demonstration, it was truly an impressive display by
          > Sydney and Melbourne Yoshinkan instructors and black belts.
          >
          > While Yoshinkan is known as the "hard" style, it can also be
          > described as "robust". Thus, I think Hanshi would have been truly
          > honoured by the robustness with which our senior instructors
          > demonstrated jiyu waza on the black belts. ;-) I certainly held my
          > breath many times and was thankful that I am still only a relative
          > beginner and not on the receiving end!
          >
          > Joe Thambu Sensei of Melbourne demonstrated amazing jiyu waza
          > against many. It was simply breathtaking.
          >
          > And there was one particular technique that Darren Friend Sensei of
          > Sydney demonstrated - it is considered to be a secret technique (?)
          > and I have only heard of it previously. In essence, 2 uke
          > manhandled Sensei by grabbing him on either side and lifted him off
          > the ground - at least 1.5 meters by my estimate. Then Sensei
          > dropped his weight - became dead weight? .... He landed on his feet
          > and at the same time, flipped the 2 uke over on their backs!? Wow!
          > I hoped the videos captured this!
          >
          > Hanshi then demonstrated his fine artistry on the senior
          > instructors. It was a privilege to see his demonstration.
          >
          > Well must go for now ... got some very sweaty dogi's to clean up. I'm
          > heading off to Melbourne this Friday/weekend to do more of the same
          > under Hanshi's masterful watchful eyes, and see more robust
          > demonstrations.
          >
          > Osu!
          >
          > TS

        • Jim Mc Coy
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
            ROBUST - An excellent choice of words.
            I much prefer that to HARD. "Hard Aikido" is difficult to explain some times.
            I think I will use this from now on.

            Thanks for the news on the seminar.

          • Toronto Aikido Center - Shunpukan Dojo
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
              Osu!

              Just a reminder that there is a very ROBUST Robert Mustard Sensei visiting
              Toronto this weekend starting tonight at the Sendokan. Tickets are still
              available..

              Details at www.torontoaikido.com

              This was a ROBUST Robert Event Notifaction.

              Alan

              Alan Shumak - Toronto Aikido Centre _S\o_

              <mailto:dojo@...> dojo@...

              <http://www.torontoaikido.com/> http://www.torontoaikido.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                The hidden techniques that are demonstrated by very senior instructers and that can be seen so often in Shioda sensei's videos do not seem to be part of the standard yoshinkan coursework. At what point are these taught in yoshinkan? I have studied yoshinkan for almost 10 years and recently started studying daitoryu about 18 months ago. Daitoryu emphasises mainly on these un-balancing techniques (other than their hard jiu-jitsu techniques). I attended a couple of seminars of Okamoto sensei, who is head of the Roppokai daitoryu and it is amazing how he does these hidden techniques with almost no visible body movements. The techniques when seen being done to others seem completely fake and ukemi well done. Only when you feel it, do you realize how powerful these techniques really are.

                Hope to see more of these taught in regular yoshinkan coursework maybe after shodan level. Just a thought ...

                OSU,
                Jit

> [...]
                > technique (?)
                > and I have only heard of it previously. In essence, 2 uke
                > manhandled Sensei by grabbing him on either side and lifted
                > him off
                > the ground - at least 1.5 meters by my estimate. Then
                > Sensei
                > dropped his weight – became dead weight? …. He landed
                > on his feet
                > and at the same time, flipped the 2 uke over on their
                > backs!? Wow!
                > I hoped the videos captured this!
                >
                > Hanshi then demonstrated his fine artistry on the senior
                > instructors. It was a privilege to see his demonstration.
                >
                > Well must go for now … got some very sweaty dogi's to
                > clean up. I'm
                > heading off to Melbourne this Friday/weekend to do more of
                > the same
                > under Hanshi's masterful watchful eyes, and see more

              • dotars_2003
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
                  Osu!

                  Will advise re video clips (?), DVD etc when things are organised.

                  TS

                  --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, "Syahrin Syahrin" <sensitro9@...>