Re: Shioda Kancho in Toronto - IYAF discussions

  • happygolucki1977
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 2, 2008
      So what did he say about the future of the IYAF? Do we even have a
      future?

      --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, aikispike <aikispike@...> wrote:

      > In addition to the clinics and events that we have planned for
      Shioda

      ______________
      > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

    • Stanley Jeffers
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 2, 2008
        I was not privy to the discussions but I understand from someone who was
        that not much will change re the IYAF. I think it is business as usual.
        Stanley

        On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, happygolucki1977 wrote:

        > So what did he say about the future of the IYAF? Do we even have a
        > future?
        >

        > --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, aikispike <aikispike@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> In addition to the clinics and events that we have planned for
        > Shioda
        >> Kancho's visit to Toronto (Feb 29 - Mar 2), we are planning to
        > arrange
        >> a time for IYAF dojo head instructors to meet together as a group to
        >> speak with Shioda Kancho about his plans for the IYAF.
        >>
        >> This discussion with Shioda Kancho is still being planned but will
        >> likely take place on Saturday afternoon after training.
        >>
        >> If you are the head instructor of an IYAF dojo and planning to
        > attend
        >> you can email me, or speak with Kimeda Sensei at the clinics.
        >>
        >> Spike

        > ______________
        >> Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        >> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Toronto Aikido Center - Shunpukan Dojo
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 3, 2008
          Osu!

          I'm sure that things will be sent out shortly. Official word that is. Not
          sure if there is really much for anyone to say at this time.

          If anyone can fill me in on what I missed on Sunday, I would appreciate it.

          Someone ready to send a seminar review to the group?

          Alan

          Alan Shumak - Toronto Aikido Centre _S\o_

          <mailto:dojo@...> dojo@...

          <http://www.torontoaikido.com/> http://www.torontoaikido.com

          aikispike <aikispike@...> wrote:

          >> In addition to the clinics and events that we have planned for
          > Shioda
          >> Kancho's visit to Toronto (Feb 29 - Mar 2), we are planning to
          > arrange
          >> a time for IYAF dojo head instructors to meet together as a group to
          >> speak with Shioda Kancho about his plans for the IYAF.
          >>
          >> This discussion with Shioda Kancho is still being planned but will
          >> likely take place on Saturday afternoon after training.
          >>
          >> If you are the head instructor of an IYAF dojo and planning to
          > attend
          >> you can email me, or speak with Kimeda Sensei at the clinics.
          >>
          >> Spike

          > ______________
          >> Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          >> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • aikispike
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 5, 2008
            I'm not really one for writing reviews of clinics... I'd rather chime
            in with a nice "me too" than write up the whole thing. And since I was
            helping to organize (on a limited level) I shouldn't really be the one
            to write. I suppose with all the potential political issues one could
            get into, no one really is interested in starting this discussion.
            Since I seem to have little regard for putting my foot in my mouth, I
            shall begin.

            Happily, it was not that interesting of an event. By "not interesting"
            I mean there were no political storms, no arguements, and nothing to
            discuss over the watercooler - other than aikido. People got together,
            learned some cool things from a top teacher, threw each other around,
            made some new friends and drank lots of beer. Everything of importance
            happened on the mats, and that part of things was plenty interesting
            enough.

            Shioda Sensei and Watanabe Sensei flew 13 hours from Tokyo into
            Toronto's latest snow storm (global warming my ass!). They then had to
            endure a two hour drive from the airport in said snow storm to get what
            normally takes 25 minutes. But they made it to the first class with 5
            minutes to spare.

            I can only discuss this first class, because it was the only one I was
            able to attend. Shioda Sensei went over the kihon dosa - especially
            kihon dosa with partner. He went into detail of the uke movements and
            got into a little of the background and history of the movements. I
            took most of his uke, but he kept making me do the shite movements
            because he was teaching how to do uke properly. The one time he did
            throw me was a beautiful clean irimi.

            As for the discussion with IYAF dojo heads, Shioda Sensei seems
            inclined towards the status quo with respect to how dojo will relate to
            each other and the Honbu. The Yoshinkan itself is undergoing political
            reorganization with respect to registration under Japanese government
            regulations, and this has been the priority. The IYAF will fall under
            the umbrella of the new organization, but I don't thik it is clear how.
            The existing IYAF bylaws were discussed, but no one present seemed to
            concerned about their continuance or revision. Shioda Sensei seems open
            to disucssion about the bylaws.

            Honbu will also be putting images of certificates on the website to
            eliminate the use of fake Yoshinkan certificates. It also seems they
            may be publishing names and rankings on the website so rank can be
            verified, but this point was some what unclear.

            One major change to be introduced is the use of Honbu kyu certificates
            for first, second, and third kyu rankings. International (and Japanese)
            dojo will be required to use the honbu certificates for senior kyu
            rankings. The price is to be US$100 for 10 certificates. Every teacher
            present expressed understanding and agreement to the use of the kyu
            certificates to support Honbu. I think detailed information on this is
            coming soon.

            Spike

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • koyaji
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 5, 2008
              Thanks for the news.

              Was there any mention of what kind of reorganization the Yoshinkai in
              Japan is undergoing?
              I'm sure honbu will announce things in due course, but if you or
              anyone has any news as to what may change over here it would be much
              appreciated.

              Thanks.

              Ian

              ______________

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 5, 2008
                Yoshinkan Organizational Chart

                Taken from the new website. This is basically what has been and was
                explained at the meeting. The Yoshinkai is looking for more favorable
                treatment as a non-profit in Japan. To do so they need be seen as an
                International foundation.

                The consensus at the meeting seemed to be that IYAF and Domestic Japanese
                dojos should probably be all treated the same. Everyone understands that
                Kancho is now the head of the Yoshinkai, the Yoshinkan as well as the IYAF.
                As such, there is no need to have two different sets of rules for the two
                bottom groupings. My only comment was that as long as I know what was
                expected and what I could expect from Honbu, then it really doesn't matter
                to me or my students.

                ______________

                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 12, 2008
                  Thanks very much for the summary.

                  That sounds like the IYAF is being rolled up into the All Japan
                  Foundation, maybe making the structure more like Aikikai when
                  everything falls into place(?).
                  I don't mean that in a facetious or cynical way, I'm just wondering
                  how this will evolve. There are positives and negatives in all
                  political systems. In any case, I think it's really good that there
                  is open communication.

                  But as long as people can agree, and teachers can run their dojo
                  smoothly and teach as they always have, I suppose us students won't
                  have any problems.
                  In the end, it's the aikido that matters to most of us, isn't it?

                  Anyway, thanks again for the heads up.

                  Ian

                  --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, "Toronto Aikido Center - Shunpukan
                  Dojo" <dojo@...> wrote:

                  > Yoshinkan Organizational Chart
                  >

                  > Taken from the new website. This is basically what has been and was
                  > explained at the meeting. The Yoshinkai is looking for more
                  favorable
                  > treatment as a non-profit in Japan. To do so they need be seen as an
                  > International foundation.
                  >

                  > The consensus at the meeting seemed to be that IYAF and Domestic
                  Japanese
                  > dojos should probably be all treated the same. Everyone understands
                  that
                  > Kancho is now the head of the Yoshinkai, the Yoshinkan as well as
                  the IYAF.
                  > As such, there is no need to have two different sets of rules for
                  the two
                  > bottom groupings. My only comment was that as long as I know what
                  was
                  > expected and what I could expect from Honbu, then it really doesn't
                  matter
                  > to me or my students.
                  >

                  > Alan
                  >

                  > Alan Shumak - Toronto Aikido Centre _S\o_
                  >
                  > <mailto:dojo@...> dojo@...
                  >
                  > <http://www.torontoaikido.com/> http://www.torontoaikido.com

                  On Behalf
> [...]
                  > open
                  > > to disucssion about the bylaws.
                  > >
                  > > Honbu will also be putting images of certificates on the website
                  > > eliminate the use of fake Yoshinkan certificates. It also seems
                  they
                  > > may be publishing names and rankings on the website so rank can be
                  > > verified, but this point was some what unclear.
                  > >
                  > > One major change to be introduced is the use of Honbu kyu
                  > certificates
                  > > for first, second, and third kyu rankings. International (and
                  > Japanese)
                  > > dojo will be required to use the honbu certificates for senior kyu
                  > > rankings. The price is to be US$100 for 10 certificates. Every
                  > teacher
                  > > present expressed understanding and agreement to the use of the
                  kyu
                  > > certificates to support Honbu. I think detailed information on

                  category=shopping