Summer Camp

  • Kevin Bradley
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
      Hello Everyone,

      There has been a thought that I have been mulling for some time and I
      figured I would get the collective opinion of this group.

      As someone who was once part of the Aikikai organization, specifically the
      USAF Midwest Region under Akira Tohei Sensei, there is one thing I thought
      they did really well....the annual summer camps. At those events, we had a
      week of training, training, more training, and Aikido fellowship and
      networking. They always did it at a college campus, which meant that for
      one price, you received training, a dorm room, and meals. You had the
      option of getting a local hotel if you didn't want to share a room with 2-3
      other Aikidoka. They usually brought in a top instructor from Japan to
      lead some of the classes and other classes were led by Tohei Sensei and
      other US-based instructors. Dan testing also took place at summer camp.

      Anyway, I often wondered why we couldn't pull something off like this in our
      organization in North America. I don't think it would make any difference
      if it was in Canada or the US, although Kit Hathaway Sensei who is moving to
      Atlanta has given serious thought about hosting something like this in her
      new digs some time in 2008.

      So, my question to the group is this. If there was a week-long summer camp
      arranged with a top instuctor from Honbu along with some of our top North
      American instructors,

      (a) if we built it would you come?
      (b) how much would you be willing to pay? Remember, a set price would
      include a room and meals
      or
      (c) is this a pipe dream that we could never pull off?

      Can't wait to hear the responses.

      Osu!

      Kevin Bradley
      Meishinkan Dojo
      www.foxvalleyaikido.com
    • JAY MASON
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
        I think you can pull it off.
        But rather than just choose a big city and hold it
        there, you should shop around for lower cost
        universities. You can probably save a bundle by
        having it somewhere in the midwest. Atlanta is going
        to be expensive.

        Also, you would need to plan on most people only being
        there for 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun).

        It's a good idea and I would try to attend. It would
        depend on when, where and the cost.

        Jim Mc Coy

      • Kevin Bradley
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 6, 2006
          Good thought. That's why Tohei Sensei did it in Wisconsin. The cost was
          probably pretty cheap. With a lot of colleges renting out their facilities
          for things like band camp, I am leaning toward agreeing that this would be
          doable!

          Kevin Bradley

        • JAY MASON
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 6, 2006
            It is definitely doable. But if you want to do it
            next summer, you need to get a place now.

            Also, here's another idea to consider. My Iaido
            teacher uses a Girl Scout Camp at the end of each
            summer - usually late August or September. After the
            last camp, when they would have been closing anyway.
            It's cabins instead of rooms but it's quite nice.

            Wisconsin might work well. The National Martial Arts
            Association has had thier annual camp at UMBC in
            Baltimore for a number of years. We looked into
            moving to Old Dominion in VA once and they were quite
            reasonable. I just can't help to think that the
            Midewest would be cheaper though. Someplace in IN
            would be great!

            Jim Mc Coy

          • Mick Chambers
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2006
              why not have it at the same time with the aikikai people
              kind of like the Osu festival but in the summer.

> [...]

              > > place at summer camp.
              > >
              > > Anyway, I often wondered why we couldn't pull
              > > something off like this in our
              > > organization in North America. I don't think it
              > > would make any difference
              > > if it was in Canada or the US, although Kit Hathaway
              > > Sensei who is moving to
              > > Atlanta has given serious thought about hosting
              > > something like this in her
              > > new digs some time in 2008.
              > >
              > > So, my question to the group is this. If there was
              > > a week-long summer camp
              > > arranged with a top instuctor from Honbu along with
              > > some of our top North
              > > American instructors,
              > >
              > > (a) if we built it would you come?
              > > (b) how much would you be willing to pay?
              > > Remember, a set price would
              > > include a room and meals
              > > or
              > > (c) is this a pipe dream that we could never pull

            • Kevin Bradley
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2006
                I don't know how open they would be to having Yoshinikan instructors at
                their camp. Interesting thought, though.

              • Mick Chambers
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 11, 2006
                  open?
                  Its Aikido isn't that what Aikido means? or is it something like "ghost that gives life" no maybe its "Love thy self" ok I am not sure what Aikido means but if it were up to me Aikido would mean "open"
                  Ok that would not work - cause then you would have every store in japan with an Aikido sign on it when they were open. Is that crazy? or is it just so crazy that maybe it would be a good idea if Aikido meant "open"?

                  sorry what was this post about again? ah yes, Why aikikai people hate Yoshinkan people. Sorry i don't know they just do.. I think it is something like little man syndrome where they feel they have to be better then us and they over compensate by being rude to us.

                  Summer camp - good idea
                  Having it in the mid west USA - bad idea
                  Having it in friendly non terrorist threatened Canada that houses the largest Yoshinkan community outside of Japan - good idea. (btw I include Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio as part of Canada. lets face it they act a lot like Canadians.)

                  If you made it to the bottom of this post you are crazy, or your first name is Gord (which btw is a Canadain name. :-)

                  I don't know how open they would be to having Yoshinikan instructors at
                  their camp. Interesting thought, though.

                  >From: Mick Chambers <buyukan@yahoo. ca>
                  >To: yoshinkan@yahoogrou ps.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Yoshinkan] Summer Camp
                  >Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:04:41 +0200 (CEST)
                  >
                  >why not have it at the same time with the aikikai people
                  >kind of like the Osu festival but in the summer.

                • Alan Shumak - A.S.K. Webs Canada
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 11, 2006
                    I AM CANADIAN...AND AIKIDO (OPEN)...HAHAHA

                    Alan

                    Alan Shumak - Toronto Aikido Centre _S\o_
                    dojo@...
                    http://www.torontoaikido.com

                    > Its Aikido isn't that what Aikido means? or is it something like "ghost
                    > that gives life" no maybe its "Love thy self" ok I am not sure what Aikido
                    > means but if it were up to me Aikido would mean "open"
                    > Ok that would not work - cause then you would have every store in japan
                    > with an Aikido sign on it when they were open. Is that crazy? or is it
                    > just so crazy that maybe it would be a good idea if Aikido meant "open"?
                    >
                    > sorry what was this post about again? ah yes, Why aikikai people hate
                    > Yoshinkan people. Sorry i don't know they just do.. I think it is
                    > something like little man syndrome where they feel they have to be better
                    > then us and they over compensate by being rude to us.
                    >
                    > Summer camp - good idea
                    > Having it in the mid west USA - bad idea
                    > Having it in friendly non terrorist threatened Canada that houses the
                    > largest Yoshinkan community outside of Japan - good idea. (btw I include
                    > Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio as part of Canada. lets face it they act a
                    > lot like Canadians.)
                    >
                    > If you made it to the bottom of this post you are crazy, or your first
                    > name is Gord (which btw is a Canadain name. :-)

                  • Nic and Anna-Marie Mills
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 11, 2006
                      Mick,

                      you crack me up - you're cetainly on a role - keep them comming!!

                      Nic

                      PS see what happens when you go off your meds!!!
                      > Its Aikido isn't that what Aikido means? or is it something like "ghost
                      that gives life" no maybe its "Love thy self" ok I am not sure what Aikido
                      means but if it were up to me Aikido would mean "open"
                      > Ok that would not work - cause then you would have every store in japan
                      with an Aikido sign on it when they were open. Is that crazy? or is it
                      just so crazy that maybe it would be a good idea if Aikido meant "open"?

                      > sorry what was this post about again? ah yes, Why aikikai people hate
                      Yoshinkan people. Sorry i don't know they just do.. I think it is something
                      like little man syndrome where they feel they have to be better then us and
                      they over compensate by being rude to us.

                      > Summer camp - good idea
                      > Having it in the mid west USA - bad idea
                      > Having it in friendly non terrorist threatened Canada that houses the
                      largest Yoshinkan community outside of Japan - good idea. (btw I include
                      Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio as part of Canada. lets face it they act a lot
                      like Canadians.)

                      > If you made it to the bottom of this post you are crazy, or your first
                      name is Gord (which btw is a Canadain name. :-)

                    • SAMUEL COMBES
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 11, 2006
                        Thanks Mick,
                        the OSU FESTIVAL did work and I found most of the groups amiable and willing to share ideas.
                        aloha
                        sam
> [...]

                        > > place at summer camp.
                        > >
                        > > Anyway, I often wondered why we couldn't pull
                        > > something off like this in our
                        > > organization in North America. I don't think it
                        > > would make any difference
                        > > if it was in Canada or the US, although Kit Hathaway
                        > > Sensei who is moving to
                        > > Atlanta has given serious thought about hosting
                        > > something like this in her
                        > > new digs some time in 2008.
                        > >
                        > > So, my question to the group is this. If there was
                        > > a week-long summer camp
                        > > arranged with a top instuctor from Honbu along with
                        > > some of our top North
                        > > American instructors,
                        > >
                        > > (a) if we built it would you come?
                        > > (b) how much would you be willing to pay?
                        > > Remember, a set price would
                        > > include a room and meals
                        > > or
                        > > (c) is this a pipe dream that we could never pull

                        Yahoo! Groups Links