Technique Question

  • walt vancil
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
      A gentleman in my Aikido group had a question regarding his technique.
      I seek any opinion regarding this.

      Thank you.

      Dear,
      I am trying to fix on my mind how to do a correct nikkajo in "shomen
      uchi ikkajo, nikkajo ichi". The process is
      1.) uke serve a shomen uchi attack
      2.) sh'te in hidari hanmi position raise both hand, block the attack
      and enters to the right and do ikkajo.
      3.) sh'te now pivot in his right foot, face the center line of uke and
      do a nikkajo.

      in this stage no.3 if uke stiffen his arm and shoulder i cannot bend
      ukes hand to complete a nikkajo. Even though my posture is stable and
      the position of my hand is correct. How to destroy the balance of uke
      in a static position? Is there any good answer from this
      technique?
    • Steven Miranda
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
        When you say "YOUR" aikido group, is this group a
        Yoshinkan Aikido group? The way in which basic
        technique is done in Yoshinkan is different in other
        organizations as you may well know.

        Is this technique ichi or ni? He mentions ichi but then
        goes on to say hidari hamni and uke applies the attack
        which would suggest this is a NI technique. But then
        he say he enters to the right?!?

        From the description, it sounds to me that despite shite
        having good balance, uke appears to have good balance
        as well.

        If this is a Yoshinkan Aikido basic technique, shomen
        uschi ikkajo and nikajo osae ichi and/or shomen uchi
        ikkajo and nikajo osae begin in migi ai hanmi kamae
        and shite initiates the attack.

        Maybe you can ask said person to bit a bit more clear
        as to what they are trying to accomplish?!?

        --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, "walt vancil"
        <aikidostockton@c...> wrote:
        > A gentleman in my Aikido group
      • Charles Yeomans
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
          On Sep 1, 2005, at 5:17 PM, walt vancil wrote:

          > A gentleman in my Aikido group had a question regarding his technique.
          > I seek any opinion regarding this.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Dear,
          > I am trying to fix on my mind how to do a correct nikkajo in "shomen
          > uchi ikkajo, nikkajo ichi". The process is
          > 1.) uke serve a shomen uchi attack
          > 2.) sh'te in hidari hanmi position raise both hand, block the attack
          > and enters to the right and do ikkajo.
          > 3.) sh'te now pivot in his right foot, face the center line of uke and
          > do a nikkajo.
          >
          > in this stage no.3 if uke stiffen his arm and shoulder i cannot bend
          > ukes hand to complete a nikkajo. Even though my posture is stable and
          > the position of my hand is correct. How to destroy the balance of uke
          > in a static position? Is there any good answer from this
          > technique?

          There are many good answers. First, if you have taken uke's balance in
          the entry, then it should not matter whether he attempts to fight it by
          stiffening his arm, unless he is much stronger than you. Indeed, you
          don't even need to bend uke's wrist to perform nikkajo. It is a very
          good exercise to practice nikkajo from time to time by moving your grip
          so that the back hand is at the base of uke's.

          Now if uke still retains enough of his balance to resist, then you need
          to change things a bit. This begins to move beyond kihon waza, but uke
          has already signaled his willingness to do so by resisting :) One way
          is to shift your weight backward while cutting against uke's
          resistance; this will frequently cause uke to execute a face-plant.
          Another way is to wiggle your hips back and forth a little until you
          find just the spot where uke's resistance lessens. Yet another way to
          break uke's balance is to kick him on the outside of the thigh; if you
          get this right, you may not need the nikkajo.

          --------------
          Charles Yeomans
        • aikidostockton@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
            Thank you for responsing to my email.
            To awnswer your question, when I referred to the group as "mine," I was simply referring to the Yahoo group of which I originated and moderate.
            As for the style of Aikido I study, it is Kumano based, originating out of Shingu, Japan.
            This gentleman's question was primarily of Yoshinkan background and thus I thought to ask in your group.
            Thank you for your assistance.
            Walt

            When you say "YOUR" aikido group, is this group a
            Yoshinkan Aikido group? The way in which basic
            technique is done in Yoshinkan is different in other
            organizations as you may well know.

            Is this technique ichi or ni? He mentions ichi but then
            goes on to say hidari hamni and uke applies the attack
            which would suggest this is a NI technique. But then
            he say he enters to the right?!?

            From the description, it sounds to me that despite shite

            <aikidostockton@c...> wrote:
            > A gentleman in my Aikido group

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "yoshinkan" on the web.

          • Hannibal
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
              Osu,
              Hey, everyone. Show your Yoshinkan Spirit and donate to the Red Cross.
              The Red Cross has a Disaster Relief account setup with your local banks.

            • Steven Miranda
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
                Walt,

                Thanks for the update. You might consider having this
                person join this list if he/she is a Yoshinkan practioner.

                Steven

                --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, aikidostockton@c... wrote:
                > Thank you for responsing to my email.
                > To awnswer your question, when I referred to the group as "mine,"
                I was simply referring to the Yahoo group of which I originated and
                moderate.
                > As for the style of Aikido I study, it is Kumano based,
                originating out of Shingu, Japan.
                > This gentleman's question was primarily of Yoshinkan background
                and thus I thought to ask in your group.
                > Thank you for your assistance.
                > Walt

                > When you say "YOUR" aikido group, is this group a
                > Yoshinkan Aikido group? The way in which basic
                > technique is done in Yoshinkan is different in other
                > organizations as you may well know.
                >
                > Is this technique ichi or ni? He mentions ichi but then
                > goes on to say hidari hamni and uke applies the attack
                > which would suggest this is a NI technique. But then
                > he say he enters to the right?!?
                >
                > From the description, it sounds to me that despite shite
                > having good balance, uke appears to have good balance
                > as well.
                >
                > If this is a Yoshinkan Aikido basic technique, shomen
                > uschi ikkajo and nikajo osae ichi and/or shomen uchi
                > ikkajo and nikajo osae begin in migi ai hanmi kamae
                > and shite initiates the attack.
                >
                > Maybe you can ask said person to bit a bit more clear
                > as to what they are trying to accomplish?!?
                >
                > --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, "walt vancil"
                > <aikidostockton@c...> wrote:
                > > A gentleman in my Aikido group
                >

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > Visit your group "yoshinkan" on the web.

                Service.