Re: [Yoshinkan] I want to subscribe to the list

  • Hannibal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
      http://www.bodymindandmodem.com/Daily/Daily.html

      Check out this website, it talks about how Aikido can be apply to your
      daily life.
    • Daryl Hartz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
        Yeah that's a great website, one of the first that I came across when
        I started aikido.

        What are your personal thoughts and experiences on how Aikido has
        applied to YOUR daily life, or how your Daily life has applied to Aikido?

        Daryl

        --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, Hannibal <anibalibarra@g...> wrote:
        > http://www.bodymindandmodem.com/Daily/Daily.html
        >
        > Check out this website, it talks about how Aikido can be apply to your
        > daily life.
      • robert bilek
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
          i'll bite. i have gained about 30 lbs and i have a distinct difference in my rolls. my stomach is in the way, and i can't "ball up" like i used to.

          but you should be able to do Aikido with any body type. if you can trancend beyond the basics and the "tapes", i feel it is all about balance, motion, center, etc. there is more than one way to drive a car, and most of them still get you to the store and back. so they can't really be "wrong" right?

          Daryl Hartz <darylhartz@...> wrote:
          Just curious, does anyone feel like starting a discussion on technique
          on this list? Or possibly the role of uke?

          I mean I could talk about how great Mustard Sensei's Aikido is until
          the cows come home but anyone actually want to talk about anything
          related to aikido? Philosophy? The importance of practice at home?
          How you can't do aikido if you are a girl? Or if you are fat? Ok
          maybe that just applies to the role of uke when you are flipping
          through the air or doing a breakfall. I just lost 20 pounds and I
          feel my aikido soaring at the moment.

          Any takers on a legitimate conversation on technique out there? That
          seems like a good place to start. How about timing? Distancing?
          Respect for uke when they willingly give you their body and you crush
          it? How about ego? Anything? These are great topics, I really just
          want to talk about the art.

          Osu!

          Daryl

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Daryl Hartz
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
            Robert,

            Yes, and it has probably all consolidated in your gut right? That is
            where it sucks. Sure you can still do a breakfall but you totally see
            the difference eh? It sucks. My gut was huge, and I had big time
            problems rolling back over it. You can compensate with the timing of
            the roll(lets use just a basic backward breakfall as an example) and
            using momentum to push yourself back through your legs when you get
            back up. After I lost the weight I noticed breakfalls getting alot
            easier. Even if you understand the concept with momentum and timing of
            the roll it is still more difficult to do more than 5 of them. Now I
            can do like 10 in a row without any problems...there is definitely a
            difference. SO you can still do rolls, you just can't do as many and
            it is more difficult. Aikido is all about simplicity right? So lose
            a few pounds and make your aikido easier, who wants to suffer with
            this art, it is frustrating enough as it is. Or keep your weight
            where it is and learn to adapt, as long as you are comfortable with
            what you have then who cares.

            Daryl