Re: Yasuhisa Shioda Seminar

  • Daryl Hartz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
      Absolutely amazing. That has got to be the most intelligent post I
      have heard on this list the entire time I have been on it.

      Too bad nobody else thinks it is a good idea.

      Brian posts this terrific idea in a forum for people training together
      in Aikido where one of the central philosophies of it is the
      unification of people. Oh wait here's a neat quote I heard somewhere:

      "A premise of Aikido is the avoidance of rivalry or any form of
      opposition. If the people of the world would make an effort to learn
      how to avoid dissension through the practice of Aikido I am sure that
      mankind could realise genuine unification. Therefore, we as
      instructors must do our best to gain this ideal."

      Wow that's kinda neat, I wonder who said that? Probably nobody
      important.

      If it makes a difference at all, I would have to say that I would be
      up for that idea Brian, I can't see a better way to strengthen the
      Yoshinkan community and exchange philosophies, ideas, points on
      techniques, etc.

      Daryl

      --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <akuma_ku@h...>
      wrote:
      > Well in that case why don't we just skip bringing in senseis
      sometimes
      > and just get together for the sake of getting together as artists of
      > the school of yoshinkan? Since here in southern Ontario we have a
      > fairly high concentration of yoshinkan clubs, we could have a
      > quarterly or even bi monthly time in which a club hosts other
      students
      > to come and train to exchange ideas about technique and have fun
      > getting together with other people that understand our somewhat
      > esoteric interest in yoshinkan aikido.
      >
      > Or we could even skip the training altogether and just rent space
      at a
      > good restaurant or bar to hang out and build stronger bonds between
      > us. We can still have the special occassions when we bring in an
      > instrctor from further away but this way we can still get together
      and
      > train (or not) and it would cost much less and be a much more
      informal
      > affair than the only current occassions when yoshinkan aikidoka come
      > together.
      >
      > -Brian
      >
      > --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, "analog_android" <android187@h...>
      > wrote:
      > > Well I expected to see some posts in regards to the seminar that
      > > happened this past weekend in Georgetown... hopefully this one'll
      > > motivate people to posts their thoughts on it.
      > >
      > > Overall, I had a really good time at the seminar. It seemed well
      > > organized, and the system used to pair up senior and junior
      students
      > > was a great idea. Yudansha (and brown belts) lined up from most
      > > senior to junior, opposite the rest of students, who were lined up
      > > from most junior to senior. We then paired off with the person in
      > > front us. This insured that the most junior student was working
      with
      > > the most senior.
      > >
      > > This system ended up being useful throughout the seminar, as the
      > > seniors were to instruct the juniors in the technique
      demonstrated by
      > > Shioda Sensei. This brings me to my one complaint with the
      seminar,
      > > which was the minimal amount of explanation of the technique by
      Shioda
      > > Sensei. He would quickly demonstrate two or three times with
      uke, and
      > > then we were to imitate it with our partners. As such, although
      I got
      > > a good workout at the seminar, I came away from it without any new
      > > insights into Aikido.
      > >
      > > After the demonstrations on Saturday, we were all invited to a
      local
      > > rec. center for swimming and hot tubbing. Arranging this was
      another
      > > excellent idea; the hot tub did wonders for my aching muscles :)
      > >
      > > So, even though I didn't really learn anything at the seminar, it
      was
      > > great to socialize and train with other people in the Yoshinkan
      > > community.
      > >
      > > Andrew
    • Keeley Woods
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
        I'm incoming to the GTA area myself this weekend, to stay for several months
        for a contract job. I would love to meet other Aikidoka and get a chance to
        play.

        I started doing this because its fun. So I'm always up to have more fun

        wrote:
> [...]
        seminar,
        > > which was the minimal amount of explanation of the technique by
        Shioda
        > > Sensei. He would quickly demonstrate two or three times with
        uke, and
        > > then we were to imitate it with our partners. As such, although
        I got
        > > a good workout at the seminar, I came away from it without any new
        > > insights into Aikido.
        > >
        > > After the demonstrations on Saturday, we were all invited to a
        local
        > > rec. center for swimming and hot tubbing. Arranging this was
        another
        > > excellent idea; the hot tub did wonders for my aching muscles :)
        > >
        > > So, even though I didn't really learn anything at the seminar, it
        was
        > > great to socialize and train with other people in the Yoshinkan

        Yahoo! Groups Links