Mustard Sensei DVD

  • zenboy33
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2005
      Thought I might drop a line on the DVD of Mustard Sensei's recent visit
      to the Seikokan dojo in Windsor Ontario

      Well, I have watched through the whole thing twice now. It is going
      to take a long time to absorb it all. Mustard is a great teacher. My
      wife, who really couldn't care less about Aikido really enjoyed
      watching it with me.

      Wendy Casagrande did a great job on the camera, and her husband (I
      forget his name) did some solid post production work (for an amatuer).

      I imagine the only frustrating parts are when Mustard has Wendy turnof
      the camera for a minute (unless of course you were there)

      The only question that seems a little unresolved is who is better
      looking, Mustard Sensei of Jeannette Sensei.

      OSU!

      Rob
    • mruk4u@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
        THIS NOTE IS REALLY FOR BEGINNERS, ONLY
        Personally speaking, as somebone who is entirely new to practicing Aikido.
        I've brought DVD's/Video Tapes/Books/Downloaded internet movie clips right
        along though the years. But, I find although these tapes do help to improve ones
        own knowledge a bit...showing you how the experts do it/and, teaching you the
        technical names of techniques/-etc. It doesn't necessarily teach you much
        in terms of increasing your own ability...; for that you need to go to a class,
        and, regularly. Thus, I think, you have to be already 'hands on' experienced
        in order to gain the full benefit of being able to learn from the 'hands
        off' stuff.

        QUESTION TO EVERYONE
        I do have a question, though, how many times a week is it recommended that
        one has to attend Aikido class in order to get to improve...; because, I find
        that going there just once a week doesn't really seem to be enough?

        -Paul(UK/London)

        PS: Have a NICE day!
        ;-)
        rj.bondy@... writes:

        Thought I might drop a line on the DVD of Mustard Sensei's recent visit
        to the Seikokan dojo in Windsor Ontario

        Well, I have watched through the whole thing twice now. It is going
        to take a long time to absorb it all. Mustard is a great teacher. My
        wife, who really couldn't care less about Aikido really enjoyed
        watching it with me.

        Wendy Casagrande did a great job on the camera, and her husband (I
        forget his name) did some solid post production work (for an amatuer).

        I imagine the only frustrating parts are when Mustard has Wendy turnof
        the camera for a minute (unless of course you were there)

        The only question that seems a little unresolved is who is better
        looking, Mustard Sensei of Jeannette Sensei.

        OSU!

        Rob

        Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research
        Hospital's
        'Thanks & Giving.'
        _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/HDbplB/TM)

      • Keeley Woods
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
          Currently?

          I go to class twice a week, and have gotten into meeting with my fellow
          students outside of class to practice. I take my learning wherever and
          whenever I can get it.

          rj.bondy@... writes:

          Thought I might drop a line on the DVD of Mustard Sensei's recent visit
          to the Seikokan dojo in Windsor Ontario

          Well, I have watched through the whole thing twice now. It is going
          to take a long time to absorb it all. Mustard is a great teacher. My
          wife, who really couldn't care less about Aikido really enjoyed
          watching it with me.

          Wendy Casagrande did a great job on the camera, and her husband (I
          forget his name) did some solid post production work (for an amatuer).

          I imagine the only frustrating parts are when Mustard has Wendy turnof
          the camera for a minute (unless of course you were there)

          The only question that seems a little unresolved is who is better
          looking, Mustard Sensei of Jeannette Sensei.

          OSU!

          Rob

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Daryl Hartz
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
            How many classes a week should somebody go to...there is a simple
            answer to that one dude...all of them. Go to every single class that
            is offered. How many times have you heard the question from your
            classmates, "Oh weren't you here when Sensei taught that?" or
            something along those lines.

            When I first started I realized that if I went to two classes it was
            ok. If I went to two classes and then kenshuu it was pretty good.
            BUT, when I went to two regular classes, kenshuu, and both weapons
            classes, my aikido improved by leaps and bounds. Really it was
            amazing how fast I progressed from knowing very little about the art
            to knowing just a tiny bit more(but being WAY more comfortable with
            concepts like comfortably moving off the line without getting smoked,
            timing, distancing, etc.).

            What you really should be focusing on though, is how do you want to
            progress personally? Do you want to advance in rank? If so, practice
            at home for your test, once you run into problems for a specific
            motion either inside or outside the dojo keep it in your melon for
            asking whenever you see your sensei. But definitely practice what you
            want to get out of aikido. At the dojo the Sensei is going to do
            whatever they want to do to benefit the entire class, so what you may
            want to do personally in aikido may not be covered in any day.

            What I try to do as a bare minimum is go to class and at least think
            constantly about aikido. If it is a busy week for me and I can't go
            to class I try to at least set aside an hour to go over whatever
            basics motions, techniques by myself(shite and uke), and maybe weapons
            stuff or at least basics with bokken. Kihon Dosa Rensoku with bokken
            usually curbs the urge.

            So for a short answer to your question, practice something always,
            even if it is in your head, go at least twice a week if you want to
            accomplish anything in aikido, you need uke. And above everything
            else drink beer and talk about aikido with your classmates.

            Daryl

            --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, mruk4u@a... wrote:

            > THIS NOTE IS REALLY FOR BEGINNERS, ONLY
            > Personally speaking, as somebone who is entirely new to practicing
            Aikido.
            > I've brought DVD's/Video Tapes/Books/Downloaded internet movie clips
            right
            > along though the years. But, I find although these tapes do help to
            improve ones
            > own knowledge a bit...showing you how the experts do it/and,
            teaching you the
            > technical names of techniques/-etc. It doesn't necessarily teach
            you much
            > in terms of increasing your own ability...; for that you need to go
            to a class,
            > and, regularly. Thus, I think, you have to be already 'hands on'
            experienced
            > in order to gain the full benefit of being able to learn from the
            'hands
            > off' stuff.
            >
            > QUESTION TO EVERYONE
            > I do have a question, though, how many times a week is it
            recommended that
            > one has to attend Aikido class in order to get to improve...;
            because, I find
            > that going there just once a week doesn't really seem to be enough?
            >
            > -Paul(UK/London)
            >
            > PS: Have a NICE day!
            > ;-)
          • zenboy33
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
              An excellent point, and one that has been strongly emphasized time
              and again on this site. Although this is the first DVD I have seen
              from a seminar that I actually attended. It is nice to go back and
              see the reminders and the exercises that came up.

              I forget who said it but I am forever haunted by the image of
              someone watching DVD's and trying to learn using their cat as Uke.
              Gotta get on the mat. I try for 3 days a week (work and family
              permitting).

              OSU!

              Rob

              --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, mruk4u@a... wrote:

              > THIS NOTE IS REALLY FOR BEGINNERS, ONLY
              > Personally speaking, as somebone who is entirely new to practicing
              Aikido.
              > I've brought DVD's/Video Tapes/Books/Downloaded internet movie
              clips right
              > along though the years. But, I find although these tapes do help
              to improve ones
              > own knowledge a bit...showing you how the experts do it/and,
              teaching you the
              > technical names of techniques/-etc. It doesn't necessarily teach
              you much
              > in terms of increasing your own ability...; for that you need to
              go to a class,
              > and, regularly. Thus, I think, you have to be already 'hands on'
              experienced
              > in order to gain the full benefit of being able to learn from
              the 'hands
              > off' stuff.
              >

              > -Paul(UK/London)
              >
              > PS: Have a NICE day!
              > ;-)
            • Steven Miranda
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
                At the end of Terada Sensei's gasshuku in Maple Ridge in 2002,
                Parker Sensei talked with the class with the theme being very
                simple. Kihon Dosa. He quoted Shioda Kancho who said if you practice
                the basic movement everyday, you'll eventually be doing Yoshinkan
                Aikido. He said there should be no excuse not to practice it every
                day.

                He then asked Mustard Sensei to share his thoughts. Not surprising
                to me, his message was exactly the same. The key is kihon dosa and
                he too quoted Shioda Kancho in this regard. Something we can all do
                without being in the dojo. Of course, you still need the
                dojo/instructor to ensure you are doing it right.

                I tell my students to do 100 reps each side every day. Or as close
                to it as possible. I can see a big difference in those that do and
                those that don't practice kihon dosa daily.

                If you can't make it to the dojo regularly, be sure to practice
                kihon. First thing when you get outta bed and the last thing you do
                before going to bed. While watching your favorite television
                program, standing in lines, etc. There's always time.