Mastery of Technique and Chemical Consumption

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
      Hi there,
      Something I was thinking about at the bar after class last night which
      is in fact something I've often often wondered about, is that alot of
      people's perceptions about martial artists is that we're all hardcore
      health concious people. However, most of the great senseis in
      yoshinkan aikido, drink and or smoke. Shioda, Chida, Mustard, even
      The Nameless One (just to name a few) are all known to tie one on
      after class and it does not appear to hinder their technique, in fact
      they do better than alot of the health concious martial artists I've met.

      So is there some kind of connection between chemical consumption help
      devleop an understanding of technique? Or is it that it just doesn't
      matter either way and great minds just think alike and the great minds
      of aikido are thinking about stopping off for some smokes and a pint.

      -B
    • Anibal Ibarra
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
        I think what you should do is go to Japan and join the Riot Police
        course and then after putting all the hard work in that all this
        Senseis have put in all this years, then ask the question again!

        On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:01:17 -0000, Brian Downey <akuma_ku@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        > Something I was thinking about at the bar after class last night which
        > is in fact something I've often often wondered about, is that alot of
        > people's perceptions about martial artists is that we're all hardcore
        > health concious people. However, most of the great senseis in
        > yoshinkan aikido, drink and or smoke. Shioda, Chida, Mustard, even
        > The Nameless One (just to name a few) are all known to tie one on
        > after class and it does not appear to hinder their technique, in fact
        > they do better than alot of the health concious martial artists I've met.
        >
        > So is there some kind of connection between chemical consumption help
        > devleop an understanding of technique? Or is it that it just doesn't
        > matter either way and great minds just think alike and the great minds
        > of aikido are thinking about stopping off for some smokes and a pint.
        >
        > -B
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
          Nah, if I ever wanna do bunny hops, then I'll join the senshusei
          course.. but since I wanna do aikido I'll just stick with actual
          training, like kenshu.

          Seriously though, if you guys would like some quotable quotes form the
          senshusei course in Japan in regards to this subject, (the senshusei
          of course being the ten month blackbelt crash course created for the
          Tokyo Riot Police) then how 'bout some retold by our favourite
          senshusei gaijin correspondant Robert Twigger..

          "What was Kancho like? I asked. [To Payet Sensei]
          "... He liked beer very much. Sometimes he would call me away from a
          lesson and say, "Come on Jacques, let's drink beer in my office."
          (Twigger "Angry White Pyjamas" page 177, Quill 2000)

          During one 'rest' period there was a desultory walk to a shrine, which
          turned into a hunt for a cigarette shop for Mustard.
          (Twigger "Angry White Pyjamas" page 257. Quill 2000)

          "I fell into step with Chida on the way back to the station. [from the
          beer hall].
          (Twigger "Angry White Pyjamas" page 272, Quill 2000)

          I know lots of martial artists who don't touch alcohol or cigarettes
          and I just gave three examples of some of the greatest martial artists
          in the world who do, so does it really hinder your performance?

          -B

          --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, Anibal Ibarra <anibalibarra@g...> wrote:
          > I think what you should do is go to Japan and join the Riot Police
          > course and then after putting all the hard work in that all this
          > Senseis have put in all this years, then ask the question again!
          >

          > On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:01:17 -0000, Brian Downey <akuma_ku@h...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi there,
          > > Something I was thinking about at the bar after class last night which
          > > is in fact something I've often often wondered about, is that alot of
          > > people's perceptions about martial artists is that we're all hardcore
          > > health concious people. However, most of the great senseis in
          > > yoshinkan aikido, drink and or smoke. Shioda, Chida, Mustard, even
          > > The Nameless One (just to name a few) are all known to tie one on
          > > after class and it does not appear to hinder their technique, in fact
          > > they do better than alot of the health concious martial artists
          I've met.

          > > So is there some kind of connection between chemical consumption help
          > > devleop an understanding of technique? Or is it that it just doesn't
          > > matter either way and great minds just think alike and the great minds
          > > of aikido are thinking about stopping off for some smokes and a pint.
          > >
          > > -B
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Vicki Smart
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
            Brian,

            RE: Your question about smoking and drinking, "so does it really hinder your performance?"

            Since you are using Kancho Sensei, Chida Sensei and Mustard Sensei as examples....my response would have to be "OBVIOUSLY NOT". LOL. And even if their vices have somehow hindered them...it boggles my mind to think about being on the receiving end of their techniques IF they hadn't been "hindered" ... ha ha ... scar-ey!

            Besides Yoshinkan is the 'hard' style - we train hard, we drink hard. Simple.

            Osu!

            Vicki
          • Stuart Norton
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
              Maybe it relaxes them, and that's usually good for technique.
              Beer can also be good for "developing the centre", ne? ;-)
            • zenboy33
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2004
                Greetings all,

                This past weekend, Seikokan Dojo in Windsor Ontario, under Sensei
                Mark Lemmon reached special point in it's young history. On
                Saturday, James Nolan and Mark Cassagrande successfully compeleted
                the dojo's first Shodan test.

                Family and guest from Windsor, London and Toronto were treated to a
                and excellent display of knowledge and technique. Congratulations
                to James and Mark on behalf of the Seikokan. It was a good show, as
                well as a good "Sho".

                Rob Bondy
              • zenboy33
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 10, 2004
                  Having done other martial arts, I will concede that there is less of
                  a consistent aerobic element to Aikido. Or rahter, to clarify,
                  having a great aerobic capacity or fitting the western model of
                  physical fitness are not things that make for strong Aikido. They
                  certainly compliment it. Given that, it seems that there are fewer
                  situations in which diminished lung capacity would have an effect
                  (freestyle, knee walking races and hunny hops excluded).

                  Rob

                  --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, Vicki Smart <vsmart@s...> wrote:
                  > Brian,
                  >
                  > RE: Your question about smoking and drinking, "so does it really
                  hinder your performance?"

                  > Since you are using Kancho Sensei, Chida Sensei and Mustard Sensei
                  as examples....my response would have to be "OBVIOUSLY NOT". LOL. And
                  even if their vices have somehow hindered them...it boggles my mind
                  to think about being on the receiving end of their techniques IF they
                  hadn't been "hindered" ... ha ha ... scar-ey!

                  > Besides Yoshinkan is the 'hard' style - we train hard, we drink
                  hard. Simple.

                  > Osu!
                  >
                  > Vicki
                • zenboy33
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 10, 2004
                    I don't fear the grammar cops, but I just read my own post which I
                    wrote late last night. I doubt anyone was as entertained as I.
                    Apologies to Mark, James and Sensei Lemmon. Reporting such an
                    important even is deserving of a more polished writing job.

                    (The really bad part is that I am a high school teacher.)

                    Rob

                    --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, "zenboy33" <rj.bondy@s...> wrote:

                    > Greetings all,
                    >
                    > This past weekend, Seikokan Dojo in Windsor Ontario, under Sensei
                    > Mark Lemmon reached special point in it's young history. On
                    > Saturday, James Nolan and Mark Cassagrande successfully compeleted
                    > the dojo's first Shodan test.
                    >
                    > Family and guest from Windsor, London and Toronto were treated to a
                    > and excellent display of knowledge and technique. Congratulations
                    > to James and Mark on behalf of the Seikokan. It was a good show,
                    as
                    > well as a good "Sho".
                    >
                    > Rob Bondy
                  • Brian Downey
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 10, 2004
                      Hahahaha awesome! Now I have some Karateka friends I need to get to
                      read this.

                      Osu!
                      -B

                      --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, Vicki Smart <vsmart@s...> wrote:
                      > Brian,
                      >
                      > RE: Your question about smoking and drinking, "so does it really
                      hinder your performance?"

                      > Since you are using Kancho Sensei, Chida Sensei and Mustard Sensei
                      as examples....my response would have to be "OBVIOUSLY NOT". LOL. And
                      even if their vices have somehow hindered them...it boggles my mind to
                      think about being on the receiving end of their techniques IF they
                      hadn't been "hindered" ... ha ha ... scar-ey!

                      > Besides Yoshinkan is the 'hard' style - we train hard, we drink
                      hard. Simple.

                      > Osu!
                      >
                      > Vicki
                    • Brian Downey
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 10, 2004
                        ah yes there was this fellow who trained with me when I first started,
                        he had a couple glasses of wine with dinner then came to class all
                        ripped and he's like "my technique's never been better. My breakfalls
                        are so soft and my basic motions were so relaxed."

                        So now we just need to cut the pretense and make a drunkard style of
                        aikido. Gin Gin Toitsu aikido! lol

                        -Brian

                        --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Norton"
                        <stuartjvnorton@h...> wrote:
                        > Maybe it relaxes them, and that's usually good for technique.
                        > Beer can also be good for "developing the centre", ne? ;-)
                      • cjnolan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 10, 2004
                          Rob once again your thoughts are too generous for one small individual like
                          myself.So thanks again and let all keep on training hard so we can have
                          great Aikido weather we are as drunk as a skunk[like I have been in the
                          past,for those who know me]. Sorry Rob I'm not a teacher so I'll make no
                          apologies for my terrible grammar.
                        • Artin Sahakian
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 10, 2004
                            Whoa! I came in on the TAIL-END of this biz. Somebody
                            please tell me which of Aikido's GREATS did NOT smoke
                            and drink. Many thanks in advance.

                            Artie

                            --- zenboy33 <rj.bondy@...> wrote:

                            > Having done other martial arts, I will concede that
                            > there is less of
                            > a consistent aerobic element to Aikido. Or rahter,
                            > to clarify,
                            > having a great aerobic capacity or fitting the
                            > western model of
                            > physical fitness are not things that make for strong
                            > Aikido. They
                            > certainly compliment it. Given that, it seems that
                            > there are fewer
                            > situations in which diminished lung capacity would
                            > have an effect
                            > (freestyle, knee walking races and hunny hops
                            > excluded).
                            >
                            > Rob
                            >

                            > --- In yoshinkan@yahoogroups.com, Vicki Smart
                            > <vsmart@s...> wrote:
                            > > Brian,
                            > >
                            > > RE: Your question about smoking and drinking, "so
                            > does it really
                            > hinder your performance?"
                            > >
                            > > Since you are using Kancho Sensei, Chida Sensei
                            > and Mustard Sensei
                            > as examples....my response would have to be
                            > "OBVIOUSLY NOT". LOL. And
                            > even if their vices have somehow hindered them...it
                            > boggles my mind
                            > to think about being on the receiving end of their
                            > techniques IF they
                            > hadn't been "hindered" ... ha ha ... scar-ey!
                            > >
                            > > Besides Yoshinkan is the 'hard' style - we train
                            > hard, we drink
                            > hard. Simple.
                            > >
                            > > Osu!
                            > >
                            > > Vicki