Question

  • JT
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2004
      Can any members of the group please tell me about any differences of
      yoshinkan aikido and other aikido practices such as ASU and USAF
      aikido? I am a firm believer that there are many differences
      between one sensei and another due to the perspective of the
      individual, such as if they started out practicing karate, judo, or
      one of the sword styles/schools. My aikido is also influenced by my
      former training in karate, tae kwon do and most important my age and
      physical condition from back injuries and arthritis.
      When I was stationed in Hawaii during the early 70's I wish I would
      have known about aikido since Koichi Tohei sensei (of the Ki society)
      was there at the time and it would have influenced my aikido. I
      sometimes train with the Kodokai aikido people when Minoru Oshima
      sensei is in the area.
      I have read about the yoshinkan method method, can anyone please
      enlighten me about this method as opposed to other training? Any
      information from the members is welcome.

      Train hard to become soft
      JT
    • Kevin Bradley
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2004
        JT

        I have studied in both the USAF (Midwest) and Yoshinkan. Some differences include training and teaching methodology. Quite often in my Aikikikai training, the instructor would do a technique quickly, sometimes even doing it differently from one time to the next, then said, "OK, now you do it." Don't get me wrong, I also experience some wonderful instructors there. The other main difference I found was that in the USAF, techniques would change to some degree from one region to the other. In Yoshinkan, kihon dosa is kihon dosa is kihon dosa. Now, one nice thing the USAF did have, and I wish we had the numbers to do it as well, was summer camp. For a pretty moderate price, you got a week of training, with up to 5 classes or more offered each day. At my ripe current age, I wouldn't be able to hang now, but it was a younger Aikidoka's dream. You'll hear some comments about hard versus soft, but I'll tell you I have experience some very hard Aikikai folks and some soft Yoshinkan folks. Certainly not the majority, but they are there.

        Personally, I prefer Yoshinkai. I like the way kihon is integral to our training and it makes learning and teaching easier. I also like the universal aspect to what we do, versus regional differences. Again, individual instructors may change some things, but the basics are the basics and if the person is following the Honbu curriculum, it should look the same wherever you go.

        Bottom line, find what you like, what fits your lifestyle, your home life, and your personality, and you'll be happier.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to: