RE: [Yoshinkan] Technique of the week - Katate Mochi, Nikajo Osae Ni

  • Shumaker, Gordon
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
      Good point, Nic
      I agree entirely with keeping the weight forward and not shifting it to the
      back leg. Thanks for that clarification.
      Gordon

      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
        Perhaps I mis-read/misunderstood, but I think Nic may have been eluding
        to the fact that before we pivot, the front foot does not move. There is
        no shuffle in after the "cut" and just prior to pivoting.

        I agree entirely with keeping the weight forward and not shifting it to
        the back leg. Thanks for that clarification. Gordon

        > In any event, if you step off the line a bit before the pivot and then

        > constantly apply pressure to uke's elbow as you pivot, uke will try to

        > relieve that pressure by spiraling down to the mat. It is a lever
        principle
        > and it takes very little effort by shite.

        Gordon, I agree with everything you said here, except for the " step of
        the line a bit before the pivot" . Shite needs to keep their weight
        strongly forward on their front leg / foot - this will allow shite to
        apply pressure to ukes elbow with their body power. If shite steps of
        line with the front foot that means their weight had to go back (to
        their rear foot). Shite's weight needs to be maintained on the front
        foot.

        Nic

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
          That's my understanding. The front foot is already placed in the proper
          position when second control is applied. Thus, shite only has to pivot. I
          should have been clearer when I said "step off the line before the pivot."
          What I should have said is that your foot placement before the pivot is
          already where it should be.

          Gordon

          Perhaps I mis-read/misunderstood, but I think Nic may have been eluding
          to the fact that before we pivot, the front foot does not move. There is
          no shuffle in after the "cut" and just prior to pivoting.

          I agree entirely with keeping the weight forward and not shifting it to
          the back leg. Thanks for that clarification. Gordon

          > In any event, if you step off the line a bit before the pivot and then

          > constantly apply pressure to uke's elbow as you pivot, uke will try to

          > relieve that pressure by spiraling down to the mat. It is a lever
          principle
          > and it takes very little effort by shite.

          Gordon, I agree with everything you said here, except for the " step of
          the line a bit before the pivot" . Shite needs to keep their weight
          strongly forward on their front leg / foot - this will allow shite to
          apply pressure to ukes elbow with their body power. If shite steps of
          line with the front foot that means their weight had to go back (to
          their rear foot). Shite's weight needs to be maintained on the front
          foot.

          Nic

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Anibal Ibarra
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 8, 2003
            I have the same problem. I now try to sort of forget
            about uke and try to concentrate on keeping my center
            line straight. I was trying to use to much strength I
            think. What sometimes we do at our dojo is to do
            the pivot with one arm so that we concentrate on our
            body position.

            http://photos.yahoo.com/