dojo marketing?

  • Todd Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      I would be curious to what dojo owners have found to be the more successful
      marketing strategies for bringing new students into the dojo? Large urban
      newspaper ads? Smaller suburban weekly newspaper ads? Websites? Telephone
      pole posters? Direct mail? Public demonstrations? Radio/TV ads? Word of
      mouth? Large signs on the dojo? Sky banners? Mascots with sandwich boards
      (...I'm picturing a large fuzzy falcon wearing a gi, standing in kamae and
      daring passersby to attack)? All or none of the above?

      Do the majority of your new students already have a martial arts background
      or are they beginners? What age-range are they typically?

      I'd also be curious to know what it was that enticed students to join the
      Aikido dojo they joined. Where they heard about the dojo? Why Yoshinkan
      Aikido? (research? instructors reputation? good luck?)

      Just curious...

      Todd Johnson
    • aysdojo
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2002
        Hi Todd -

        A good portion of my orginial students found me via the internet.
        Some via the yellow pages and others through the catalog of courses
        the Parks and Recs put out. Most of the youth found us via the
        catalog.

        My students range from 8 to 60. Some have prior MA training while
        others do not. Some where previous Aikido students looking for a more
        structured and less flowery version and some just happen to visit us
        first and stayed. Must be my good looks .... NOT! Two of my adult
        students have kids in the youth program and decided to join in the
        fun and another joined after doing a lot of research and found
        Yoshinkan to be the real deal. :) Or at least what they were
        looking for.

        That's our story ..

        Steven Miranda