Re: [yoshinkan] Last time

  • Roger Plomish
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 1998
      Terry Dean wrote:

      > Jim Jeannette wrote:
      >
      > > I've been asking why would someone do the Japan course? What's the
      > > point?....... I trained with Kushida Sensei for years and
      > > find that the greatest experts on how and what he taught are people who
      > > haven't studied with him. That's why I'm asking those who've been there.
      >
      > Jim,
      >
      > I've never been to Western Australia let alone Japan, so I guess that
      > makes me one of those "experts" you refer to...lol. The main reason for
      > not doing the course is that I have to go to work and I help run a dojo
      > in my spare time. Someone I knew went to Japan and did the course, was
      > virtually unemployed before he left, got his shodan after about a year
      > and returned home to join the armed forces. I suppose having a Yoshinkan
      > qualification on his resume would have certainly looked good and must
      > have been an advantage.
      >
      > I think the course is a good idea for those people who can afford to be
      > away from home and their jobs for a year. Considering that one of the
      > aims of the course is to be able to teach the basics of Yoshinkan
      > Aikido, it is a pity that some of these people dont go on to establish
      > dojos and teach what they have been taught by the Honbu Instructors. It
      > would be interesting to know how many Senshusei have started their own
      > dojos or classes as a direct result of the course. Just my opinion.
      >
      > btw welcome back Roger.
      >
      > Terry

      Thanx, I never went anywhere, but had technical problems with my cable
      server. Then, designing our new home page took 5 years off my life.
      Hopefully, it'll be up and running this week.
      Roger
      > P.S. 21 Yoshinkan Websites listed at:
      > http://www.cobweb.com.au/~sea_eagle/siteinfo.htm

      > FREE group e-mail lists at http://www.findmail.com

    • Steve Turnbull
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 1998

        > Jim Jeannette wrote:
        >
        > > I've been asking why would someone do the Japan course? What's the
        > > point?....... I trained with Kushida Sensei for years and
        > > find that the greatest experts on how and what he taught are people who
        > > haven't studied with him. That's why I'm asking those who've been there.
        >
        > Jim,
        >
        > I've never been to Western Australia let alone Japan, so I guess that
        > makes me one of those "experts" you refer to...lol. The main reason for
        > not doing the course is that I have to go to work and I help run a dojo
        > in my spare time. Someone I knew went to Japan and did the course, was
        > virtually unemployed before he left, got his shodan after about a year
        > and returned home to join the armed forces. I suppose having a Yoshinkan
        > qualification on his resume would have certainly looked good and must
        > have been an advantage.
        >

        > Terry

        > FREE group e-mail lists at http://www.findmail.com

        I have been lurking in the wings for a bit now, and like Terry, I too am
        one of those experts. I can only comment as a student further down the
        totem pole than most on the mail-list.

        I have had the pleasure of studying with/under two graduates of the
        Senshusei program and I have nothing but accolades! (As a third
        party) I find that the Senshusei that I have been exposed to, pass
        on information at the same rate and with the same intensity as
        they have learned it. That is to say that when they taught me, they
        not only pointed out my mistakes, they always offered solutions
        to help correct my problems; either through small technical details that
        I was missing or by showing me specific excercises to help correct the
        imperfection. In my experience, most recreational Aikido programs don't
        offer these solutions to the general public. I don't need someone
        constantly pointing out my mistakes (I know I suck), what I do need is
        constructive criticism to help me (and those I teach/train with)
        improve and I have found those few Senshusei offer this kind of
        criticism.

        I think that program shores up the overall quality of the practitioners
        in any one area and they are an asset to Southwestern Ontario.

        Steve

      • Terry Dean
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 1998

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 1998

            > Thanx, I never went anywhere, but had technical problems with my cable
            > server. Then, designing our new home page took 5 years off my life.
            > Hopefully, it'll be up and running this week.
            > Roger

            Great news Roger, send us your url when your done and I'll add it to the
            list.

            Cheers,

            Terry

          • Fred Carter
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 1998
              Steve Turnbull wrote:

              > > Jim Jeannette wrote:
              > >
              > > > I've been asking why would someone do the Japan course? What's the
              > > > point?....... I trained with Kushida Sensei for years and
              > > > find that the greatest experts on how and what he taught are people who
              > > > haven't studied with him. That's why I'm asking those who've been there.
              > >
              > > Jim,
              > >
              > > I've never been to Western Australia let alone Japan, so I guess that
              > > makes me one of those "experts" you refer to...lol. The main reason for
              > > not doing the course is that I have to go to work and I help run a dojo
              > > in my spare time. Someone I knew went to Japan and did the course, was
              > > virtually unemployed before he left, got his shodan after about a year
              > > and returned home to join the armed forces. I suppose having a Yoshinkan
              > > qualification on his resume would have certainly looked good and must
              > > have been an advantage.
              > >

              > > Terry
              >

              > > FREE group e-mail lists at http://www.findmail.com
              >
              > I have been lurking in the wings for a bit now, and like Terry, I too am
              > one of those experts. I can only comment as a student further down the
              > totem pole than most on the mail-list.
              >
              > I have had the pleasure of studying with/under two graduates of the
              > Senshusei program and I have nothing but accolades! (As a third
              > party) I find that the Senshusei that I have been exposed to, pass
              > on information at the same rate and with the same intensity as
              > they have learned it. That is to say that when they taught me, they
              > not only pointed out my mistakes, they always offered solutions
              > to help correct my problems; either through small technical details that
              > I was missing or by showing me specific excercises to help correct the
              > imperfection. In my experience, most recreational Aikido programs don't
              > offer these solutions to the general public. I don't need someone
              > constantly pointing out my mistakes (I know I suck), what I do need is
              > constructive criticism to help me (and those I teach/train with)
              > improve and I have found those few Senshusei offer this kind of
              > criticism.
              >
              > I think that program shores up the overall quality of the practitioners
              > in any one area and they are an asset to Southwestern Ontario.
              >
              > Steve

              > FREE group e-mail lists at http://www.findmail.com

              Can you define recreational Aikido. I study "recreational Aikido" 4 -5
              times a week, and I just did a test for 4th kyu and right now my body
              says that this is not so recreational.

              Have you studied under anyone other than those two Senshusei with which
              to make a comparison?

              Fred.

            • Steve Turnbull
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 1998
                Fred Carter wrote:

                > Can you define recreational Aikido. I study "recreational Aikido" 4 -5
                > times a week, and I just did a test for 4th kyu and right now my body
                > says that this is not so recreational.
                >
                > Have you studied under anyone other than those two Senshusei with which
                > to make a comparison?
                >
                > Fred.
                Fred,

                I use the term "Recreational Aikido" loosely (for lack of a better term)
                but I am referring to those of us who work or go to school full time and
                supplement our day to day lives with the study of a martial art. Some
                may take it more seriously than others but it is still "recreational".
                This is in stark contrast to those who have put aside their jobs or
                schooling to study a martial art full time, 6 hrs a day 6 days a week,
                like those few who have done the Senshusei program, or those who have
                travelled to Japan to become Uchi-deshi in some rare school of
                swordsmanship.

                I have studied under others and have learned from all. The point I was
                trying to make is that the few Senshusei graduates that I have met,
                in my experience, pass on information with the same intensity and
                passion that they learned it and this is refreshing.

                Steve