[yoshinkan] Re: Ki and the spirit within

  • Kevin Bradley
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 1998
      Teddie:

      Have you had any experience with Chin Na? I ran into a guy and he blew my
      mind. He was also expert in Schwai Jou (terrible spelling) and about threw
      me through the floor. Very awesome.

      Kevin Bradley
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 1999
        Storm Diver wrote:

        > Does anyone find the understanding of aikido is much like that of
        > understanding the Tao Te Ching within this spirituality....?
        >
        > Jeannot Lamarre

        I am relearning yoshinkan now and have recently discovered that Aikido
        is Aikido. It has a sense of positive and negative flow just like Tai
        Chi (Tao te ching, I am not familiar with) and when I am relaxed but
        extended I can perform fluid aikido but if I am tense and rigid I falter
        and short out creating more a aikijujitsu or hard technique.

        This I think is true for the spirit if our minds are hectic and stormy
        so is our spirit thus making life more difficult. This is the lesson of
        aikido for me, the search to simplifiy, organize, and expand the flow
        and essence of our lives.

        --
        Skaggs
        House of Ronin

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan
      • Shumaker, Gordon
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 1999
          Jeannot,

          Can you give me a regular mailing address? I don't think I can scan the
          article onto the e-mail.

          Once you receive it, I would love to discuss the topic. I hope others reply
          to your inquiry as well.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 1999
              I met a fellow a little while back who threw me through the floor and had no
              martial art training whatsoever. He was into "spiritual" aspects however,
              which were unfortunately responsible for the pain receptors in his body not
              functioning. Amazing how a person who is in a semi intoxicated condition
              can fall down a flight of stairs or be in a car crash and suffer no ills
              effects other than a hangover!
              Oh well...back to the mats!
              Jaimie
              >Have you had any experience with Chin Na? I ran into a guy and he blew my
              >mind. He was also expert in Schwai Jou (terrible spelling) and about threw
              >me through the floor. Very awesome.
              >
              >Kevin Bradley

            • Storm Diver
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 1999
                Gordon,

                My regular email addy is Storm_diver@...

                Im happy to see that there seems to be some interest in this
                subject......

                Jeannot

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 1999
                  Jeannot,

                  Thanks for getting back to me. I actually was looking for a postal or
                  mailing address since I am not able to scan my document into the e-mail
                  system. Or if you have a fax number, that will work.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 1999
                    No, I've no experience with chin na, although I do practice pakua from time
                    to time. That reminds me more of aikido...very similar with wristlocks and
                    overbalancing.

                    I'm just now starting to get a feel of fa jing and exploding power out of my
                    feet. I've caught a partner a couple of during push hands practice...I'm
                    afraid I was probably more surprised than my partner!

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 1999
                      Isn't that the spirituality that comes with elbow power #3? I seem to
                      remember doing that a lot in dark, smoky places...

                      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan