[yoshinkan] Re: Inoue Sensei

  • Roger Plomish
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 1, 1999
      ASH> wrote:
      >
      > Roger,
      >
      > My only concern with that course of action is, if no one responds Inoue
      > will propose, that there is no support whatsoever.
      >
      > I agree with you there is a very apparent "power struggle" going on in
      > Japan. Which brings me back to my list of questions: Who is in charge?
      > Who should we be speaking to? Where does the Shioda family come in to
      > play?
      >
      > Please remember, Darren's response to one of my earlier questions. He
      > stated, "I would respond to it, if I was you?".

      Sounded more like a threat to me, and I don't threaten well. Apparently,
      according to Enore, not everyone is in the loop on this one, so a true
      response is not possible until the internal conflicts in Japan are
      straightened out (maybe the Harris organisation helped in the formation
      of the letter). Mark and Fred also have my support.

      Roger

      > I know one thing for sure I know where my support lies and believe me
      > like Mick and others I will continue to give my support, 100%.
      >

      > > > Mick
      > > It appears that inner struggles, in Japan, should be resolved before we
      > > respond to the letter. Remember, the letter is dated the 9th, but the
      > > meeting was on the 10th. Seems like someone is confused and it isn't us.
      > >
      > > Roger

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan
    • Roger Plomish
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 1999
        Mick Chambers wrote:

        > wrong, show your support for fred and mark. This letter is phrased as
        > a trap. Just agree to all and fax it in before Friday - this is
        > imperative. No sitting on the fence here.

        How could it possibly be official since not everyone received a copy?
        Sure, I got one (wish I knew where I put it--check the dog's room, I
        suppose), but my understanding is that not everyone else received one.
        Maybe it's computer spam--those damn hackers again.

        Is it a trap? Sure it is, and an ill-thought out, poorly devised one at
        that. And since everyone knows where the trap is, the wisest thing is to
        walk around it until everyone is made aware of the trap. That's the
        Honbu's job--mail a letter to everyone involved--regardless of the
        difficulty involved. Only then can a true response be formed. Until
        then, the meeting on the 10th, as far as I'm concerned--that is, the
        agreement arrived at by the Shioda family, Mark and Fred should stand.
        After all, isn't it the foundation who pays the salaries of the Honbu
        instructors? And if they've agreed with Fred and Mark, I fail to see the
        problem.

        A seeming order to respond in 5 days to issues already solved is
        strange. Things have really gotten out of hand. To bad common sense
        didn't enter at the beginning when everyone agreed that "it wasn't
        broke, it didn't need fixing (tuning up, maybe regarding world firsts:
        sixth dan tests given and created by an instructor who never underwent
        the non existent test himself)."

        Don't panic! Be happy! Remember, we've done nothing wrong--unless
        teaching Yoshinkan Aikido to the best of our abilities is now a crime.

        Nowww...........gotta find that letter! Kojak (my dog), Kojak! Did you
        eat daddy's letter? Come on, fess up....

        Roger

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan
      • ASH>
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 1, 1999
          Roger,

          As I stated in my earlier posting, I agree with you!!!!!!

          The letter is worded in such a way as to change the meanings of our
          original "recommendations" to "Demands". Perhaps I am becoming paranoid,
          but there is a definite thread of a threat that permeates the letter.

          Like you Roger, I do not cringe in the face of a threat. I stand up for
          my beliefs, my dojo, my students, my friends............

          All I meant was that if no one responds Inoue has an open field to
          present to the Bd of Directors and Soke Shioda that the petition was
          falsely represented. Thus building a case to eject Fred and Mark fron
          the IYAF.

          I will not stand by and let both of these gentlemen (whom I am proud to
          call my friends) be ridiculed or left hanging. From the time I met Fred,
          he has strongly promoted the IYAF, he epitomizes the IYAF. He walks the
          talk and expects everyone else to support it as he does.

          So again, I say respond to the letter, not necessarily in the format
          demanded in Inoue's letter. You can still show your support by simply
          writing a letter of support for the Feb 10th Report from Soke Shioda.

          All the best.ASH>

          Roger Plomish wrote:

          > ASH> wrote:
          > >
          > > Roger,
          > >
          > > My only concern with that course of action is, if no one responds Inoue
          > > will propose, that there is no support whatsoever.
          > >
          > > I agree with you there is a very apparent "power struggle" going on in
          > > Japan. Which brings me back to my list of questions: Who is in charge?
          > > Who should we be speaking to? Where does the Shioda family come in to
          > > play?
          > >
          > > Please remember, Darren's response to one of my earlier questions. He
          > > stated, "I would respond to it, if I was you?".
          >
          > Sounded more like a threat to me, and I don't threaten well. Apparently,
          > according to Enore, not everyone is in the loop on this one, so a true
          > response is not possible until the internal conflicts in Japan are
          > straightened out (maybe the Harris organisation helped in the formation
          > of the letter). Mark and Fred also have my support.
          >
          > Roger
          > >
          > > I know one thing for sure I know where my support lies and believe me
          > > like Mick and others I will continue to give my support, 100%.

          > > > It appears that inner struggles, in Japan, should be resolved before we
          > > > respond to the letter. Remember, the letter is dated the 9th, but the
          > > > meeting was on the 10th. Seems like someone is confused and it isn't us.
          > > >
          > > > Roger

          > Internet FileZone: Always FREE!
          > Instantly store & access your valuable PC files on the net,
          > from any Web browser.
          > SIGN UP NOW - http://offers.egroups.com/click/235/0
          >
          > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan
        • Nic and Anna-Marie Mills
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 1, 1999
            ASH wrote (big snip)
            > The individuals,
            > those I know personally, who have not received a letter from Inoue, all
            > supported "The Petition". We have been quite vocal on this list in our
            > support of the petition,

            I hav'nt finished thinking upon all the implications of Inoue sensei's
            letter...but it appears to me that only 1 of the 7 agree / disagree
            statements is "from the petition" the other 6 are from the discussion
            paper. This is one of the reasons why the letter is confusing me. I get the
            feeling from some posts that the Jan 20th meeting was.....not smooth, and
            perhaps somewhat confrontational. However the written word does state that
            the discussion paper is seperate from the petition, and I would assume (
            don't kill me for this) that a discussion paper would be presented and
            precieved as just that, things to discuss??

            Nic

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 1, 1999
              Enore wrote,

              I don't think that you have to look to any dark plot, it appears
              > that many others have received it. You probably noticed this from Micks
              > irate letter. I bet it was either an oversight or the record keeping
              isn't
              > that great at the IYAF/honbu in Japan. I cannot believe that Inoue sensei
              > would be that devious.

              I think that Enore has a good point here. I think that the trust
              relationship that did exsist between most IYAF instructors and The "honbu
              et all" (and vise versa) has been strained / weakend / ruined. It takes
              alot of work between people to build trust, and just a few quick moments of
              carelessness to tear it apart. I think we all need to focus on stabalizing
              / rebuilding the trust relationship. All of us can do this in their own
              way, but it needs to be done desperately.

              Nic

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 1, 1999
                ASH> wrote:
                >
                > Roger,
                >
                > As I stated in my earlier posting, I agree with you!!!!!!
                >
                > The letter is worded in such a way as to change the meanings of our
                > original "recommendations" to "Demands". Perhaps I am becoming paranoid,
                > but there is a definite thread of a threat that permeates the letter.
                >
                > Like you Roger, I do not cringe in the face of a threat. I stand up for
                > my beliefs, my dojo, my students, my friends............
                >
                > All I meant was that if no one responds Inoue has an open field to
                > present to the Bd of Directors and Soke Shioda that the petition was
                > falsely represented. Thus building a case to eject Fred and Mark fron
                > the IYAF.
                >
                > I will not stand by and let both of these gentlemen (whom I am proud to
                > call my friends) be ridiculed or left hanging. From the time I met Fred,
                > he has strongly promoted the IYAF, he epitomizes the IYAF. He walks the
                > talk and expects everyone else to support it as he does.
                >
                > So again, I say respond to the letter, not necessarily in the format
                > demanded in Inoue's letter. You can still show your support by simply
                > writing a letter of support for the Feb 10th Report from Soke Shioda.
                >
                > All the best.ASH>

                You might be pleased to know that I will respond, strongly.

                Roger

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan
              • Mick Chambers
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 2, 1999
                  it did not come in a soft copy but I would like to fax it to who ever did not receive it please post fax numbers to the list.  Enore it may help if you ask Kimeda sensei if he has a copy for you first - it was sent to all dojocho's I think.

                  BR,
                  Mick

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 2, 1999
                    wrong, show your support for fred and mark.  This letter is phrased as a trap.  Just agree to all and fax it in before Friday - this is imperative.  No sitting on the fence here.

                    Mick
                    >      What is going on with this letter I received from Inoue
                    >      Sensei?  Can someone explain what was wrong with the way
                    >      things were in the past?  Can someone explain why we are
                    >      wasting time and effort on political struggles?  Can someone
                    >      explain why I hardly ever heard the name Inoue and now that
                    >      I hear it all the time, I seem to be spending more time
                    >      writing about Aikido then practicing it.
                    >
                    >      I urge everyone to agree with all points and send it in.
                    >      Lets put this behind us for once and for all!
                    >
                    >      If I have to choose between a Man I have never meet, never
                    >      trained with, who has done nothing for me or a man I deeply
                    >      admire and call my friend, the choice is clear - Fred
                    >      Haynes.  This is really what that letter is asking.
                    >
                    >      Fred has put countless hours and dollars into defending
                    >      something that was already in place and now with a 35 cent
                    >      stamp and 15mins of thought Inoue wants to undermined all
                    >      that he has done!  I am PISSED OFF.
                    >
                    >      Fred will not leave Yoshinkan Aikido and neither will I.
                    >      Yoshinkan Aikido  =  Shioda Aikido: the same thing!  No one
                    >      wants to back down and no one wants to leave so lets agree
                    >      to leave things as they are.  I am afraid if we do not the
                    >      bubble will burst and Inoue will be out or Fred and Mark
                    >      will be out.  I don't want to see either one happen but if
                    >      the ladder does, count me in to because I support Haynes and
                    >      Baker 100%.
                    >
                    >      Mick
                    It appears that inner struggles, in Japan, should be resolved before we
                    respond to the letter. Remember, the letter is dated the 9th, but the
                    meeting was on the 10th. Seems like someone is confused and it isn't us.

                    Roger

                    --Click Here For Free File Storage!--

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 2, 1999
                      Not so, I did not receive a copy and was sent one by another member of the IYAF - I don't know if this was intended or not but it doesn't matter, I have one now.
                      Inoue Demands that we return it in 5 days and it looks official but the wording is either a poor translation or used cleverly to get you to disagree with some points.
                      Again I urge you to consider what the document really is - a trap, an unofficial rag, a power move. It is unbefitting a professional international organization.

                      BR,
                      Mick
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 2, 1999
                        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\askweb mail.htm
                        Sticking the nose a little further in...

                        Contract? I have heard this mentioned before. Was it a verbal contract between you and Kancho? A written contract. When did you sign? Who made the offer and who accepted...

                        Like I say and others have reiterated, maybe the IYAF "worked" in the past, maybe it's time to review what it is and should be, in consultation with The Yoshinkan and honbu. Make it a firm Federation with properly established rules. No demands, just good old fashioned talk. Where should we go from here!?!

                        Alan

                        Alan Shumak - Ask Webs Canada     _S\o_
                        ashumak@...
                        http://www.askwebscan.com
                        If unable to read html mail, please advise!
                        it is clear that if you don't comply with a contract, it is a breach of contract.  I have a contract with the Iyaf as it currently stands.  If that is changed screw the Sempai / Kohai you are now infringing on my contractual agreement this is unacceptable.
                        Mick

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 2, 1999
                          Alan J. Shumak wrote:

                          > Sticking the nose a little further in...
                          >
                          > Contract? I have heard this mentioned before. Was it a verbal contract
                          > between you and Kancho? A written contract. When did you sign? Who
                          > made the offer and who accepted...
                          >
                          > Like I say and others have reiterated, maybe the IYAF "worked" in the
                          > past, maybe it's time to review what it is and should be, in
                          > consultation with The Yoshinkan and honbu. Make it a firm Federation
                          > with properly established rules. No demands, just good old fashioned
                          > talk. Where should we go from here!?!

                          There were no demands, Alan, only recommendations. It is Inoue who is
                          construing recommendations as demands, no one else--for that is not the
                          way they were presented. His letter is quite misleading.

                          Roger

                          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan
                        • Alan J. Shumak
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 2, 1999
                            I understand what you are saying. I also know that a conversation can be misunderstood, even when the are no language barriers. I wasn't there. I hear conflict in every statement made re: the petition(s), presentation, and letters.

                            The World has become such a small place. There must be a way to hold a discussion on what changes must/should be made to IYAF, what elements must/should remain, etc...

                            Now if only I could a copy of the Bylaws by email.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 3, 1999
                              nope,
                              it is clear that if you don't comply with a contract, it is a breach of contract.  I have a contract with the Iyaf as it currently stands.  If that is changed screw the Sempai / Kohai you are now infringing on my contractual agreement this is unacceptable.
                              Mick
                              > those I know personally, who have not received a letter from Inoue, all
                              > supported "The Petition". We have been quite vocal on this list in our
                              > support of the petition,

                              I hav'nt finished thinking upon all the implications of Inoue sensei's
                              letter...but it appears to me that only 1 of the 7 agree / disagree
                              statements is "from the petition"  the other 6 are from the discussion
                              paper. This is one of the reasons why the letter is confusing me. I get the
                              feeling from some posts that the Jan 20th meeting was.....not smooth, and
                              perhaps somewhat confrontational. However the written word does state that
                              the discussion paper is seperate from the petition, and I would assume (
                              don't kill me for this) that a discussion paper would be presented and
                              precieved as just that, things to discuss??

                              Nic

                              --Click Here For Free File Storage!--

                              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan

                              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/yoshinkan
                            • Todd Shewman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 12, 2003
                                For all those from a distance who couldn't make the trip to see Inoue Sensei
                                this weekend, You're missing a great clinic here in Toronto!! Hopefully the
                                dojos in your area can get together to invite him to cover the requirements
                                of an instructor. First two days were kihon Dosa and a bit of Shiho Nage
                                yesterday. He discusses the importances of Ju Shin Mai (sp), waki-o shimeru
                                etc.
                                It's must have information!!
                              • Chris & Charmaine
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 12, 2003
                                  Hey Todd!

                                  I'm glad that you were able to make it to the clinics.  You example speaks loudly.  I'm also glad to see that you're enjoying the clinics as much as I am!  The only things I might add to what you've written is that Inoue Kancho has stressed not just the importance of kihon dosa but also their relationship to each of the basic techniques.  He hasn't just paid lip service to it . . . he has quite clearly shown how strong kihon dosa, and an understanding of each of their elements, leads to strong kihon waza, and a similar understanding of each of their elements.

                                  On another point . . . I have to say that I am absolutely floored (no . . . not a pun) by Inoue Kancho's effortless generation of _POWER_.  More than a couple of times today I found myself muttering out loud . . . "Holy SH*T!"  In fact, I think you and I were sitting beside each other and shared that reaction when he used shomen uchi ikkajo to introduce Erin to the dust between the mats!

                                  Anyway, one more day to go . . . It promises to be even more fun!

                                  Cheers for now,

                                  Chris

                                  Todd Shewman wrote:

                                  For all those from a distance who couldn't make the trip to see Inoue Sensei
                                  this weekend, You're missing a great clinic here in Toronto!! Hopefully the
                                  dojos in your area can get together to invite him to cover the requirements
                                  of an instructor. First two days were kihon Dosa and a bit of Shiho Nage
                                  yesterday. He discusses the importances of Ju Shin Mai (sp), waki-o shimeru
                                  etc.
                                  It's must have information!!

                                  Buy Coral Calcium for Greater Health. 1 month supply - $23.95
                                  (1 bottle, 90 tablets, 400mg each with Magnesium & Vitamin D)
                                  http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2805&lp=calcium2.asp
                                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/mcIe3D/v9VGAA/ySSFAA/CkUolB/TM