York County Dads Friday

  • York County Dads
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2007
      York County Dads will be at Manchester Meadows this coming Friday at 10:00 am.  Just a 10 percent chance of rain and a high of 68.  Manchester Meadows is at 337 E. Mt. Gallant Rd. in Rock Hill.  We hope to see you soon!

      Beyond tantrum control: Stay-at-home dads face health risks

      From Rhonda Rowland
      CNN Medical Unit

      ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) --Researchers looking into lifestyle and heart disease links came across a surprising finding.
      A study being released at a meeting of the American Heart Association on Wednesday found that men who decide to become househusbands and take care of children at home may be putting their health and hearts in danger.
      In fact, researchers conducting the study in Framingham, Massachusetts, for the National Institutes for Health found men who have been stay-at-home dads most of their adult lives have an 82 percent higher risk of death from heart disease than men who work outside the home.
      Despite the comedy of the 1980s movie "Mr. Mom," stay-at-home dads take their roles very seriously.
      They are somewhat outnumbered -- so they band together for support and sometimes form groups. "Keeps my sanity," and "Makes dads feel better because they have a way to share with other dads," were reasons cited by two dads who participate in the dad-to-dad playgroup in Atlanta.
      Men who choose to exchange business cards for strollers and diaper bags may need that kind of support, according to this new research.
      "This finding about househusbands as far as we know has never been examined. And it's really an unanticipated finding," says researcher Elaine Eaker, of Eaker Epidemiology Enterprises.
      Not good news for these dads. They theorized underlying stress could be behind the unwelcome statistic.
      "Since we were kids, we were raised to be the breadwinner, take care of the family financially, be the macho male guy," says one dad. "No boy grows up thinking some day I'm going to be a stay-at-home dad," says another.
      So why do they do it? They want their children raised by a parent -- and their wives' incomes were higher, so it made sense for the women to work instead.
      Stay-at-home dad Sean Greene says it wasn't a difficult decision. "We knew we wanted to watch our kids," he said.
      Greene left his career as an architect. Wife Regan is an attorney -- a high-demand, high-control position.
      The study also found women in high-demand jobs -- compared with women in low-authority jobs -- have a three times greater risk of heart disease.
      Researchers speculate role reversal may be behind both statistics. "That incongruity with what society expects may be deleterious to your health," says Eaker.
      This doesn't mean men and women should go back to traditional roles, researchers add. They just may need a little more support.

      Christopher Bush
      York County Dads
      (803) 328-0949
      http://www.geocities.com/yorkcountydads/

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • York County Dads
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
        York County Dads will be at 2245 Dave Lyle Blvd. Chic Fil A in Rock Hill this coming Friday at 11:00 am.    We hope to see you soon!

        The Completely Natural and Safe "Antibiotic"

        http://www.mercola.com/2004/nov/17/handwashing.htm

        Handwashing, one of the oldest and most powerful antibacterial treatments, may be the key to preventing MRSA (staph infections). According to a Johns Hopkins study, the best way for patients to avoid such infections is for doctors and nurses to simply wash their hands before touching a patient.
        This may also reduce the likelihood of a patient contracting a serious infection, which could lead to pneumonia or surgical wound complications.
        Researchers studied MRSA among a group of nearly 2,300 patients who stayed in the hospital for about three weeks. None of these patients had a history of a staph infection, however, 3.4 percent of the patients developed one after their stay.
        It was concluded that those who developed the infection were sicker on average and had multiple medical problems. These patients were also more likely to be admitted to an intensive care unit, medical ward or transferred to other health care facilities. Though it was not determined as the only cause, patients who had been previously treated with an antibiotic were 2.6 times more likely to develop an infection.
        Handwashing is key to preventing infections and is recommended when hands are visibly dirty. It is also suggested after instances such as using the washroom, sneezing, handling garbage and before and after eating.
        Guidelines to proper handwashing include:
        • Wash hands for 10 to 15 seconds with warm water
        • Use soap (because antibacterial soap has not been shown to be any more effective, any soap will do)
        • Clean all the nooks and crannies of the hands, including under fingernails
        • Rinse thoroughly under running water
        • Use a paper towel to open the door as a protection from germs that harbor on handles

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2008
          York County Dads will be at Monkey Joes this Friday at 10:00 am.  Monkey Joes is at 601 N. Polk St. in Pineville.  We hope to see you then!

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
            We will be at Manchester Meadows this Friday at 10:30 in Rock Hill.  Manchester Meadows is at 337 E. Mt. Gallant Rd.in Rock Hill.  Friday it should be in the 60's.  We hope to see you then!

            Miranda Green talks to middle-class men who have given up other jobs to concentrate on child-care, and discovers a fine balance of happiness and frustration behind their masculine reserve ...

            From INTELLIGENT LIFE magazine, December 2007
            A sunny morning in the affluent London suburb of Wimbledon, and the atmosphere in the playgroup is jolly, but a good deal quieter than you would expect with 13 children and 12 adults milling around a church hall. The reason isn't hard to spot: the parents are all men, and there is a certain masculine reserve in the air. Welcome to Dads and Little'Uns . . .

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 10, 2008
              York County Dads will be at Plaza Fiesta this Friday at 11:00 am.  Entrance was $1 per child.  Adults are also $1.  Plaza Fiesta is next to Carowinds.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
                Since it will be cooler and raining we will be at Plaza Fiesta Friday at 11:00 am.  Entrance is $1.  We were there last week but it has turned out to be a great place to go, especially if any restaraunts bother opening up.  See you then!

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 23, 2008
                  York County Dads will be at Harris St. Park in Fort Mill this coming Friday at 11:00 am.  Harris St. Park is off of 21 just south of Hwy. 160.  Hope to see you soon!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 4, 2008

                    Hello,

                    York County Dads will be at Manchester Meadows this Friday at 10:00 am.  We hope to see you then!  Also here is the email about white water rafing that I am forwarding  . . .

                     All -

                    > Mark and I are interested in a planning a day at the White Water
                    > Center --- for those who have not been there - in addition to the
                    > rafting (which is 12 and up I believe) - there is a kids' climbing
                    > wall and lots of trails for walking or biking. There is also
                    > kayaking.
                    >
                    > With a large enough group - we can do two runs on the water - so
                    > there is always 1/2 the adults with the kids... there is plenty of
                    > room for picnic and there is a cafe for those who prefer to buy food.
                    >
                    > So, I'm happy to organize it and open to extending - so if you're
                    > interested let me know --- and pass it on to others you'd like to
                    > join in... and we'll organize a weekend day and time.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > -Carolyn Blair

                    http://www.usnwc.org/

                    York County Dads

                  • York County Dads
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 13, 2008
                      York County Dads will be at Cherry Park this Friday at 10:00 am in Rock Hill.  We hope to see you then!

                      York County Dads

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 30, 2009
                        York County Dads will be at Cherry Park this Friday at 12:15.  The weather is supposed to be nicer this week so it is time we were outside again.  Hope to see you soon!