6New Yahoo! Mail domains -- ymail.com and rocketmail.com
- Jun 19, 2008Hi all,
We wanted to make a quick announcement to let you know that, starting today, Yahoo! Mail is giving users the option to create accounts under these 2 domains: ymail.com and rocketmail.com.
For more information, our press release about the launch is below.
Yahoo! Mail Postmaster Team
Yahoo! Announces Global Availability of Two New E-mail Domains
World's largest e-mail service gives people the chance to get the e-mail address they've always wanted with the launch of ymail.com and rocketmail.com
Sunnyvale, Calif. June 19, 2008 Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) today announced the global availability of two new e-mail domains that will give users the chance to register for the e-mail address or Yahoo! ID they have always wanted. People can finally say goodbye to CutiePie4Ever80 or mattclark1977@... and get a new Yahoo! e-mail address at ymail.com and rocketmail.com.
Yahoo! Mail is the number one Web mail service in the world with more than 260 million users worldwide1. As a result of its global popularity, many desirable e-mail addresses have already been taken for the yahoo.com domain, as well as for localized versions of the namespace in countries around the world. With the two new e-mail domain choices, Yahoo! will make millions of new e-mail addresses available to the online community.
Yahoo! recently commissioned a survey conducted by Harris Interactive® to determine what online adults look for when choosing an e-mail address and found some noteworthy results:
- The majority of online adults (59 percent) consider the most important attribute of an e-mail address to be that it is easy to remember.
- When asked if they could choose any e-mail address for personal use, seven in ten online adults (70 percent) would opt to have some portion of their name included 31 percent would want their last name included, 27 percent would choose their first name, while 28 percent would prefer to have their nickname as part of their e-mail address.
- Of online adults who indicated that they are not currently using their first choice e-mail address, over half (54 percent) agree that they want their e-mail address to reflect who they are, and about half (48 percent) would be at least somewhat likely to change addresses should their preferred choice become available.
"We recognize that people want an e-mail address that reflects who they are,whether they are signing up for an e-mail address for the first time, or simply updating their e-mail pseudonym to reflect the stage they are at in life," said John Kremer, vice president, Yahoo! Mail."We are thrilled to be able to offer new Yahoo! e-mail domain choices to Internet users, along with the same great Web mail experience that hundreds of millions of people have already come to expect."
E-mail addresses at the new domains will have the same great Yahoo! Mail features as addresses at the yahoo.com domain, including:
- Unlimited storage Yahoo! Mail provides all users with free unlimited e-mail storage2
- Integrated Instant Messaging and Text Messaging Users can connect in real-time to their contacts with Yahoo! Messenger or Windows Live® Messenger and send text messages to friends on the go, right from their Yahoo! Mail inbox
- Protection from spam and viruses All of the same great protection that is built into Yahoo! Mail will apply to these new domains. Yahoo! uses advanced technologies and data from numerous sources to dramatically reduce the delivery of spam and phishing e-mails
- Country-specific e-mail account When signing up for an e-mail account, users have the option of choosing localized country versions from each of the Yahoo! domains: yahoo.com, ymail.com and rocketmail.com
As always, a Yahoo! ID will work for everything across the Yahoo! Network, from checking e-mail to checking out Messenger, Flickr, Groups, Sports, Finance and more.
In many markets, Yahoo! will also help users transfer their e-mail and contacts to their new address and notify friends of their new e-mail address.
In addition, Yahoo! has reserved a number of desirable e-mail addresses all related to charitable organizations using the new domains and will put these e-mail addresses up for charity auction beginning on Thursday, June 19, 2008. Yahoo! is working with auction partners eBay Giving Works and Auction Cause. The proceeds from the auction will benefit the following organizations: The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Ocean Conservancy, Point Foundation, Right To Playand World Wildlife Fund. To participate in the online auction, please visit http://www.ebay.com/ymail.
Users can learn more about and register for a new e-mail at ymail.com and rocketmail.com at http://mail.yahoo.com.
About Yahoo! Mail
Launched in October1997, Yahoo! Mail is the world's largest, most popular free e-mail service. Yahoo! Mail helps people stay in touch at home, at work, or while traveling for business or pleasure, and is available in 22 languages. Yahoo! Mail is fully integrated with Yahoo!'s many other popular services to make it easy to access all the Internet services people need. Yahoo! Mail has recently received the Best of Web award from PC World, and was awarded Editors' Choice by both PC Magazine and CNET.
Yahoo! Inc. is a leading global Internet brand and one ofthe most trafficked Internet destinations worldwide. Yahoo! is focused on powering its communities of users, advertisers, publishers, and developers by creating indispensable experiences built on trust. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. For more information, visit pressroom.yahoo.com or the company's blog,Yodel Anecdotal.
About the Survey
This Yahoo! study was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive between June 2and June 4, 2008 among 2,035 adults ages 18+. The data have been weighted to reflect the composition of the online U.S. adult population on the basisof Internet usage (hours per week) and connection type. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.
Yahoo! and Yodel Anecdotal are the trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Yahoo! Inc.
© 2008 Yahoo! Inc., All rights reserved.
1) According to comScore MediaMetrix, April 2008
2) More information about unlimited storage in e-mail can be found here: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html
Kelley Podboy, Yahoo! Inc.: 408-349-3149, podboyk@...Liz Clinkenbeard, OutCast Communications: 415-345-4715, liz@...