Re: Data Transfer

  • smsu_63
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16 9:14 AM
      Hi, Mike,

      Actually, the data transfer limit on a free account is what you
      quoted: about 4.2 MB per hour.

      Yahoo! advertises the limit as 3 GB for free sites (see
      http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/transfer/transfer-11.html , and yes,
      3 GB divided by the number of hours in a month is how they got the 4.2
      MB), but this is misleading because it's almost impossible to achieve
      it, since they enforce that hourly limit. In order to get close to 3
      GB, your site would have to exceed its hourly limit every hour of
      every day for the entire month, and that is very unlikely to occur.
      In practice the monthly limit for a free GeoCities site is probably
      between 1.5 and 2 GB, and even that would probably involve a lot of
      turmoil, with the site being shut down several times a day.

      A big problem, in my opinion, with the way Yahoo! handles the data
      transfer limit is that instead of encouraging users to optimize their
      files, their images and music and such, and telling them how to do
      that, what tools are recommended, what principles to keep in mind,
      what to watch out for, etc., they just show you how you can spend lots
      of money by either upgrading to a more expensive account or buying
      more bandwidth or both. Any such expense is almost always a waste.

      Here in the group, we have tried to explain the cost-effective ways to
      deal with the problem, which will generally also help improve the
      appearance and performance of the site for all its visitors.

      Best regards,
      Ron in Phoenix

      --- In ygcpagebuilderhelp@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Scott"
      <unifan2001@...> wrote:

      > What is the monthly data transfer on a free account? Geo Plus is
      25GB
      > and Geo Pro is 100GB, but they don't say what it is for a free site,
      > except to say it's 4MB per hour. Do you just times that by the
      number
      > of hrs in a month?
    • Mike Scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16 10:54 AM
        --- In ygcpagebuilderhelp@yahoogroups.com, smsu_63 <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > Yahoo! advertises the limit as 3 GB for free sites (see
        > http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/transfer/transfer-11.html

        Thanks! Didn't think about looking there. The pay plans say there is
        no hourly limit, so you should get all of your bandwidth, if you need
        it.

        Going from 3GB to 25GB should take care of my shut down problems (39
        times this month!). I do optimize pix (and they're not very large,
        either), but just have a lot of them and can't get rid of any because
        of the all inclusive nature of the site.