Re: [yfoil] Re: Y-Foil Newbie

  • LINCOLN99@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
      ...I'm kinda in your same position about building my y-foil... "dura-ace or Ultegra..?" and to be honest- last year I built up my first real "racing bike" with dura ace and NEVER will go back!  GO DURA-ACE and just remember, it might be 400 dollars extra, but never missing a shift and knowing that shimano doesn't make anything better (as of right now!)... PRICELESS!  haha- but seriously, I'm all for Dura-Ace!

      Just my two cents-
      Ciao!
    • Mike Euritt
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
        On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 13:24:55 EST, you wrote:

        >...I'm kinda in your same position about building my y-foil... "dura-ace or
        >Ultegra..?" and to be honest- last year I built up my first real "racing
        >bike" with dura ace and NEVER will go back! GO DURA-ACE and just remember,
        >it might be 400 dollars extra, but never missing a shift and knowing that
        >shimano doesn't make anything better (as of right now!)... PRICELESS! haha-
        >but seriously, I'm all for Dura-Ace!
        >
        >Just my two cents-
        >Ciao!\\I will second this DA idea.

        My stock bike came with the ultegra and I had a lot of trouble with the front
        derailleur shifting on the double. It was the way the cable is routed, or so I
        am told. Maybe after about 1500 -2000 miles the ultegra was shot. But I just
        switched to the DA shifters and teflon cables, and have had no problems in the
        next 2500 miles, BTW, I switched cables before i went to the DA shifters as a
        last resort.

        Just got back from a 53 mile tour, from my home in San Rafael, down to San
        Francisco and Golden Gate Park. Once again the Y delivered a very comfy ride
        with about 3000 feet of climbing.

        Mike E
      • Rick Warner
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003

          John can get what he feels best meets his needs and budgets, but I still contend
          Ultegra is every bit as good as DA.  The major difference is in material, not design
          or construction.  I put many thousands of miles per year on 105 and Ultegra
          equipment and have no problems whatsoever.  Heck, I put in 61 miles with
          about 5600' of climbing today, from my home to the coast and back.  That was
          on my Y66 with Ultegra - the same Ultegra shifters that got slammed in my
          accident 9 months ago.  The left shifter is pretty scratched and scarred, but
          works just like out of the box - and has worked like that for the ca. 1500 miles
          I have put on it since my recovery.     Since I do not remember the accident,
          I cannot say how far the bike travelled before landing on that lever.  But I do know
          from the reconstruction that the lever was the first point of impact as it came back
          to earth, the saddle was the second.  The lever was twisted but works fine.  The
          handlebars the lever was attached to were twisted and had to be replaced.  The
          saddle broke in the first mile after I tried to ride on it due to the damage from the
          accident.  Bars and saddle did not survive, but that little Ultegra lever that was the
          first point of impact is still just fine.  BTW, the other piece of equipment that
          survived that impact and has garnered more respect for how it held up is the
          Garmin Legend.  A scuff on the case, but still works fine and is as waterproof
          as ever.

          - rick -

          At 08:37 PM 1/1/2003 -0800, you wrote:
          On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 13:24:55 EST, you wrote:

          >...I'm kinda in your same position about building my y-foil... "dura-ace or
          >Ultegra..?" and to be honest- last year I built up my first real "racing
          >bike" with dura ace and NEVER will go back!  GO DURA-ACE and just remember,
          >it might be 400 dollars extra, but never missing a shift and knowing that
          >shimano doesn't make anything better (as of right now!)... PRICELESS!  haha-
          >but seriously, I'm all for Dura-Ace!
          >
          >Just my two cents-
          >Ciao!\\I will second this DA idea.

          My stock bike came with the ultegra and I had a lot of trouble with the front
          derailleur shifting on the double. It was the way the cable is routed, or so I
          am told. Maybe after about 1500 -2000 miles the ultegra was shot. But I just
          switched to the DA shifters and teflon cables, and have had no problems in the
          next 2500 miles, BTW, I switched cables before i went to the DA shifters as a
          last resort.

          Just got back from a  53 mile tour, from my home in San Rafael, down to San
          Francisco and Golden Gate Park. Once again the Y delivered a very comfy ride
          with about 3000 feet of climbing.

          Mike E
        • Matt Schiller
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
            RECORD BABY!! No substitute for the good ol europeans... Except American of course :)

            Seriously though... Most shops will mix/match parts no problem, if weights a concern, get some
            FSA Carbon Cranks (my mechanic LOVES these cranks, said they are the best cranks he's ridden in
            30+ years of cycling), and you can get shimano rings if thats what you prefer.

            Matt
            mailto:vetteracer@...
            1998 59cm Gold Y77 - Record 8-Speed Groupo, CXP30/Record wheelset, Syncros Revolutions cranks
            39/53, Litespeed Ti BB, SLR Saddle, Speedplay X2 pedals, Easton EC90 42cm bars. ~20.5#?
            1997 Small Nude Y33 - XTR Cassette & Rear D, XT Rapidfires & Front D, Syncros BB Seatpost Stem
            Bars, Dirt Research Ti saddle, Coda 701M CNC Cranks 22/32/42, Magura HS22 brakes with Kooka
            Levers and Braided SS lines, Speedplay Frog pedals. 24.5#
          • johnorear <johno@iglou.com>
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
              FWIW: I built up my Y77 last fall with a Campy Chorus group with
              Record triple crank upgrade from cbike.com. It was a little under $1k
              for the group, and they dropped the hubs that I didn't need because I
              already had a set of Vector Pro's. Triple upgrade was Record crankset
              and deraillers. A lot of other shops will drop to Centaur for a triple
              upgrade, so watch for that if you're comparing prices.

              Only problem was the Campy 10 speed chain. Not the greatest setup I've
              seen with that one time use link, but branfordbike.com has a solution
              for that, a removable link.

              Otherwise, it's been a great setup. I have yet to experience the
              dreaded shainsuck, which speaks volumes for the front shifter's
              ability to handle a triple crank. Shifters were a bit stiff at first,
              but are breaking in nicely. More on my experience at:
              http//johno.myiglou.com/yfoil.html

              Enjoy the ride, and try not to blow past too many cyclists on the
              downhills.

              --John
            • Roger Mercado
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
                I have the dura ace on my y foil 77, but to be completely honest at 200 lbs. the weight savings from the DA probably get washed out by the ribs and donuts I gobble up.  If I were in your shoes then I'd get the Ultegra and spend your remaining money on your body parts, i.e., a kick ass Sella Italia Pro Link Gel Trans Am seat, a pair of first class bibs with top-notch padding,  a sweet pair of carbon soled road shoes.   I think all of these will give you a higher "fun" and "performance"  bang for the buck than the Dura-Ace vs. Ultegra.

                Enjoy the ride.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
                  >Enjoy the ride, and try not to blow past too many cyclists on the
                  >downhills.

                  Darn, that's my favorite thing to do! I coast past them, tucked in as tight as
                  my 6"4" 180 frame can tuck, while they are pedalling furiously :-) Very
                  satisfying....

                  MikeE
                • John Tober
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003

                    Well, Bunny is still out about the gruppo.  Unfortunately, Matt, Record is waaay outta my league, but out of curiosity, how do the FSA cranks compare to the Record carbon fiber?  I'm with Roger about the donuts and ribs, but aesthetically speaking (if for no other reason) I'm leaning towards the DA.  After 7 years of serious (for me) riding, I think it's time to hit the top-of-the-line, whether my performance merits it or not.  Then the super-light replacements yield potential birthday/Christmas presents for the foreseeable future.  The Prolink saddle is darn comfy & compared to what sits on it, isn't so heavy :-)  If I were looking for an ultralight rig, I would've conned... er, talked Santa into a 5900 instead of the Y-Foil, but comfort is more important than hitting sub-17 lbs.

                    As I implied earlier, my big focal point is wheels.  Has anyone ridden Rolf's new wheels?  On a lark I hit his website (www.rolfwheels.com) & he's broken from Trek & formed a new company called Rolf Prima; they produce 3 new wheelsets: one looks remarkably like Sestrieres; one remarkably like Vector Pros & one set with carbon rims weighs in at 1100 grams!  Also, has anyone ridden Topolino's (http://www.topolinotech.com/index.html)  wheels?

                    Cheers,

                    john

                    Do you Yahoo!?