Remove Paint

  • dj_yfoil
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hi y-foil group,
      last year I bought a y-foil frame set, which was painted by the
      former owner. I know think about removing the paint (the paint of the
      former owner as well as the original paint). Has anybody allready
      removed the lacquer of an y-foil frame? If yes, are there special
      problems which can occur or can You give me some advices how to
      manage this job?

      Best regards

      DJ
    • Matt Schiller
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
        DJ: Call Trek and ask them. I asked when I first got mine (I have a "nude" Y33 mtn bike and
        wanted to know if they would match if I stripped, told no..) and I was told it would void
        warantee, blah blah, but was told what I could strip it with, but I forget..

        Goodluck
        Matt

        11/3/2002 1:36:21 PM, "dj_yfoil" <dirk.jacob@...> wrote:

        >Hi y-foil group,
        >last year I bought a y-foil frame set, which was painted by the
        >former owner. I know think about removing the paint (the paint of the
        >former owner as well as the original paint). Has anybody allready
        >removed the lacquer of an y-foil frame? If yes, are there special
        >problems which can occur or can You give me some advices how to
        >manage this job?
        >
        >Best regards
        >
        >DJ
      • Online Bike Coach
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002

          Okay gang, I decided to “just do it”.

          I’m removing the fork on the red Y that I own, and going both threadless and more aero. I’m putting on an Alpha Q curved 1”, 44mm rake, sub 300. I really wanted to get an Oval or the newest Alpha Q fork (read the latest Velonews for a report), but I couldn’t justify the difference in rake, since I didn’t want to change the handling too much. This will be just a 3mm difference, which I think I can adapt to. Those of you with a 56 or larger could make this switch more easily, since you’ve already got 44 or 45mm rakes. But anything will improve the aerodynamics and weight of the bike, given the OCLV that’s in there. I’m even ordering it nude, so it can be painted to match the current color.

          I’ll keep ya’ll posted. Hopefully I’ll have pics as this thing progresses.

          Anyone have any ideas about stem/handlebar combos, or whether going Dura-Ace on a piece by piece purchase would be worth it? It would be SO COOL to get this thing below 17 lbs.!! Light wheels, threadless headset, light fork, hmmm. I’m open to suggestions.

          Sincerely,

          Richard P. Wharton

          USA Cycling Elite Coach

          Owner/Operator

          www.onlinebikecoach.com

        • Mulkey, Bob A SAFETY
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
            Is price an issue?
            if not, consider the Cinelli RAM..seen it for $399 in some places..all carbon, one piece

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002

              I’ve thought about that one, but someone persuaded me to do something more traditional, so I could put aero bars on for TT’s. Now, if I end up doing dedicated bullhorns, etc., that Cinelli might be more appropriate. Thanks, though. And yes, it WOULD look really cool!!

              Sincerely,

              Richard P. Wharton

              USA Cycling Elite Coach

              Owner/Operator

              www.onlinebikecoach.com

              if not, consider the Cinelli RAM..seen it for $399 in some places..all carbon, one piece

              http://www.racycles.com/catalog/cinelli_ram_1347919.htm

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
                Hrmm... into the weight weenie realm you head!
                Stem, ITM "THE" Magnesium (under 100 grams, I willbe using one for my XC race bike). Bars,
                Easton EC90 (~185g, but not aero bar compatible so they say). Headset, alot of lighter
                options, but not awhole lot to be saved here... (TISO Mag is 67g retails at $249 though,
                might be getting one for my XC..)

                Wheelset, go custom built, American Classic is the better of the known choices. There are a
                few brands I may be playing with on my XC bike (59g front hub, 160rear). Rims I havent
                checked into much in the road world, spokes you have many options.

                After I first got my Y77 I weighed it all, frame came in at 1822g (just over 4#) fork was
                597g, this is off a 59mm. I spec'd out a 17# bike, but cant find the file I built it with.
                But if you have an unlimited budget I can find it and let you know the parts (alot of
                "exotic" stuff from overseas).

                Goodluck on lightening it up. Let us know how it goes, and ask if you want weights on
                anything :D
                Matt