yfoil 66 compared to a new road bike around $1500.

  • dave10broek
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2013
      I'm new to the road bike scene and I've got an opportunity to purchase a lightly used yfoil 66 for around $1500.

      I know these bikes are unique and have a value based on the uniqueness which intrigues me but I'm curious how it would compare to a new bike around the same price? ($1500)

      I was talking with a sales guy at a local bike shop and he said that the Ultegra components from a 13 year old bike would be surpassed in quality by today's Tiagra components and the frame technology would be superior as well.

      Anybody on this list have an opinion?

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • R
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2013
        Yes, I have an opinion, or several.

        1-The 9-sp Ultegra that came on that model is superior to Tiagra,
        period. He's off his rocker on that. Time hasn't changed that stuff
        that much, and Ultegra was rock-solid stuff then and now. Tiagra wasn't
        close to Ultegra then, and new Tiagra isn't close to the 9-sp Ultegra
        now. Not that 99% of riders could tell the difference, when riding
        (including me).

        2-If it's original, and in really good shape, $1500 can be too high.
        I've seen some very nicely upgraded ones for that same price. The main
        upgrade would be wheels.

        3-However, it's not like they grow on trees, as far as finding one your
        size, available, and not beat to death.

        4-As far as comparing to a $1500 bike today, well, it depends on the
        $1500 bike. The CAAD 10's are very reasonable for what you get, and
        some carbon frames have greatly benefitted from overseas production
        efficiencies.

        5-I've had carbon bikes from older Kestrels to newer Kestrels, carbon
        tri-bikes, a Ti road bike, aluminums (never for long), aluminum-carbon
        bonded, and steel. A Y-Foil is close to a steel bike for smoothness,
        especially on the rear, and close or as good as a modern carbon frame
        (at a certain level) for weight. Remember, it's a 1997 or 1998 model,
        and most technologies on the bike have improved.

        It's hard to improve on some of the older stuff for smoothness, like
        excellent ball bearing hubs, packed and adjusted right. You won't see a
        lot of difference in the Ultegra dual pivot calipers vs. the newer
        cheaper dual pivots every entry-level bike comes with. Bars haven't
        changed, but the stem would be quill back then, which means get the fit
        you want, because it's labor-intensive to change stems.
        Cranksets have gotten, on average, lighter and bottom brackets have
        gotten stiffer with external bearings. Doesn't mean they're any better,
        just lighter and stiffer. The FD and RD are good stock with Ultegra,
        and the saddle is whatever you want. The seatpost hasn't changed much
        since then. Wheels have definitely gotten lighter, but hubs haven't
        gotten much better, just cheaper and lighter, in that price range.

        I've paid more than that for a Y-Foil, and I've paid a lot less. If you
        really want a Y-Foil, it's a fair price if it's great, but there are
        others out there. If you really want a good $1500 bike, you can get a
        lot of great used bikes for that price, not just a Y-Foil, and many that
        are newer and would be just fine.

        Just my opinion.

        Here <http://cdn.velospace.org/files/YFoil005%5b1].jpg>

        Robbie

        --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "dave10broek" <dave10broek@...> wrote:

        > I'm new to the road bike scene and I've got an opportunity to purchase
        a lightly used yfoil 66 for around $1500.

        > I know these bikes are unique and have a value based on the uniqueness
        which intrigues me but I'm curious how it would compare to a new bike
        around the same price? ($1500)

        > I was talking with a sales guy at a local bike shop and he said that
        the Ultegra components from a 13 year old bike would be surpassed in
        quality by today's Tiagra components and the frame technology would be
        superior as well.

        > Anybody on this list have an opinion?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave

      • Peter Jasko
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2013
          Dave, completely agree with Rob.
          Trying to compare is like oranges and apples in some respect. I think that
          the y foils are great bikes to ride regardless and if you want a talking
          point it's the bike that will do it.
          Like most of us who own one we ride and own them because you appreciate
          them.
          Just like spending 30 grand on a model T Ford or 30 on a new showroom car.
          Which would you really prefer? Personal choice

          Peter Jasko
          0408 976 953

        • dave10broek
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2013
            Thanks for the great info Robbie! I'm up in Canada so I expect to pay a bit of a premium on the bikes up here. You've given me a lot more confidence in pursuing this bike.

            Now I just have to wait for the snow to finish melting so I can take it for a test ride.

            Dave

            --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "R" <rpcr@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > others out there. If you really want a good $1500 bike, you can get a
            > lot of great used bikes for that price, not just a Y-Foil, and many that
            > are newer and would be just fine.
            >
            > Just my opinion.
            >
            > Here <http://cdn.velospace.org/files/YFoil005%5b1].jpg>
            >

            > Robbie
            >
            > --- In yfoil@yahoogroups.com, "dave10broek" <dave10broek@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm new to the road bike scene and I've got an opportunity to purchase
            > a lightly used yfoil 66 for around $1500.
            > >
            > > I know these bikes are unique and have a value based on the uniqueness
            > which intrigues me but I'm curious how it would compare to a new bike
            > around the same price? ($1500)
            > >
            > > I was talking with a sales guy at a local bike shop and he said that
            > the Ultegra components from a 13 year old bike would be surpassed in
            > quality by today's Tiagra components and the frame technology would be

          • Rob Powell
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2013
              There was a nice one in Brooklyn; I think it's stilol for sale.